Daytime Running Lights

billlaux

California
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Coupe
Just curious if there is a location on the front of the 2012 Coupe to install LED DRL's like you see on the new Mercedes or Audi's. I know Honda Civic has the daytime lights but they look crappy compared to the LED's on the new cars. I see Honda caught on as the 2013 Accord Coupe will have them. Wondering if anyone has even thought about doing something like this?

you'd either need to buy a new headlight housing that has them already installed, or... open up the headlight housing and modify them yourself. Part of the problem resides in the fact that the drl is also your high beam headlight. That doesn't mean you couldn't wire something up to run off an independent switch from your headlights.

you'd either need to buy a new headlight housing that has them already installed, or... open up the headlight housing and modify them yourself. Part of the problem resides in the fact that the drl is also your high beam headlight. That doesn't mean you couldn't wire something up to run off an independent switch from your headlights.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Virginia(and maybe some/all the states) won't allow separate light switches. Not sure of the wording but running/fog/etc. lights have to be automatically wired to shut off (or what ever is required) from the regular head light control.

Basically I was getting my Jeep inspected here and had my fogs on a independent switch and it would only pass if they went off when I cut my headlights on......Or covered the fogs with a cover which I did for inspections.

That does not surprise me, and I'm sure it doesn't surprise others who live in VA. I know they have strict laws regarding mods & inspections. I know some states will check tire depth, brake pads, & emissions for registration renewals...but I had no clue VA checked your lights.

And...... After all that we still have tons of cars riding around with their headlights mis-alined , I'd be happy if they'd just check the alinement every year.

My front turn signal bulbs in my WRX are the switching LEDs. They run in super white (match nearly perfectly to my 6000 HID headlights) but still flash orange. I don't know how many LEDs they contain, but like 48 or 64 or so. All I know is that they are stupid bright.

If you kept the lights turned on one click, these would stay on

On the Hatch version which we have in Australia LED DRL comes stock.
they are there instead of fogs but if you find a way of mounting aftermarket this is how you should wire it up.
Use a 5 pin relay, which has one Normally Open and one Normally Closed circuit with a switching signal to switch between the two.
Wire it up like so:
(30) 12v main: Accessory wire (spliced into cigarette lighter)
(85) Earth: Car Chassis
(87A) Load on NC circuit: Wired down to DRLs positive
(87) Load on NO Circuit: Not used
(86) Switch Wire: For this spliced into the wire leading to the driver side park lamp.
With this setup, whenever the ACC power is on, the DRLs operate. When the headlights/parkers come on, the circuit gets broken, so the DRLs turn off.
imgres
2012-honda-civic-hatch-vti-s-01.jpg

I originally started this thread looking for a place to mount LED strips as DRL's. (See photo) The reason I originally posted was because I saw new Mercedes and Audi's coming towards me with LEDs and they are really easy to spot, even on bright sunny days. I had these installed at a local custom shop. They are hooked up so that when the stock DRL's are on the LED strips are on, but not in the brightest mode. On low beams they are the same...still on but not in the brighest mode. On high beams they are still on and now go to the brighest mode. If I have the low beams on and turn on my fogs the LED strips go out. I think I would like to keep the LED strips on all the time in the brightest mode. I thought that mayne they could be wired into a circuit like the 12 Volt take-off (old cigarette lighter circuit). That way, when the key is on, the LED strips would be on all the time and bright whether or not I have the headlights on or off. Someone told me that wiring them to the 12 Volt tap would cause the fuse to blow. I think I read somewhere on this board that LED's do not consume much power. Anyone think this will work or not? Anyone care to comment on if they look OK where I positoned them on each side of the license plate.

I have different DRL's on my Si. I just took the OEM bulbs and replaced them with LED bulbs. I bought them off of Kplaygrounds website. It looks hella sick in the day. I'll post pictures up later on today.

Back