Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 2014 Mazda 3

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 2014 Toyota Corolla

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CivicDave

I have a list of potential cars that I am considering. Which one would you choose and why?

All 2014

Honda Civic EX
Hyundai Elantra GT
Dodge Dart Limited [1.4 Turbo]
Mazda 3
Toyota Corolla [7 speed cvt transmission]

If you are so inclined, you can put them in order from first to last. A few of these are redesigns [Mazda and Toyota], but there is information out on them. Also, the Elantra may have an optional engine that increases horsepower up to ~175hp. Just some extra stuff to consider.

Thanks for your input!

***3 week poll***

Last edited:
Civic gets my vote.

The Mazda 3 would be second. I really like their skyactive engines and the advertised 40mpg though.

I just don't trust Hyundai, Dodge makes fast cheap cars but I feel like they are just waiting for the warranty to expire and then explode, and the Corolla I think is for old people.

I would rank them in the following order:

Civic Ex
Mazda3
Hyundai Elantra Gt
Corolla
Dodge

The Civic first mainly because I've pretty well always driven Hondas and I've always had great luck with quality, value and resale.

Hyundai has come a long way over the years but still scare me a bit as far as quality goes. My parents have an '09 Elantra and our '09 Civic is holding up way better. The Hyundai has a lot less Kms and way more rattles. Our '09 Civic is silent on the inside.

Toyotas are great cars just so boring with their styling.

I had three Dodges in my life and I regretted having each one. I said I'd never drive another and this time I mean it.

The Mazda finished 2nd because of the negative points for the rest. It backed into 2nd spot.

That's my two cents. I suggest you research including all of the different forums for the cars on your list and definitely test drive each one.

Good luck!

Have to agree, top quality, resale, much more modern interior than the others IMO.
The r18 is an excellent engine. I had a 2011 lx coupe, it's quick, and gets great mileage.

As much as I want to vote for the Mazda3 with the Skyactive, I voted for the Civic. I can't trust Mazda and their line-up of newly developed engines. When the MZR came out (MS6/MS3), there were numerous cases where the engine kept getting bad timing and it causes the valves to bend. It was the same issue with the first gen Renesis engines...

Non of these would be high up on my list of cars I'd want, but what I want out of a car isn't the same as what you want. My order is this.

1 Elantra- I work on Hyundai's everyday they have come along way and I'm fairly impressed at their progress. They are very easy to work on.

2 Dart- I'm not a dodge fan at all, I've never been impressed with there reliability, I put the dart at 2 because I like the way they look.

3 civic ex- I'm very pleased with the reliability of my current civic(SI) and its mpg but idk if I could handle downgrading to something other than an SI but if I had to I'd give it a shot.

4 Mazda 3- I don't know much of anything about these cars but I don't mind the way they look.

5 corolla- I think they are ugly, I wouldn't be seen in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Civic..... Mazda 3..... Hyundai Elantra Gt......
I went though these 3 before I bought my Civic.
I liked the Mazda performance, but wasn't into the rest of it.
I liked the looks some what of the Elantra, but was a little on the showboat side of things, but didn't trust the tranny.
The other two aren't even in my consideration process.
I really like the Civic Coupes overall look and feel, it's a complete package to me....
It's not what I'd want, but judging from most, from being on a car forum since my Coupe purchase, I'd say, ppl that are split between the Civic and other cars are forgetting that the Si is a Civic as well and can fill that hole of doubt on performance by going with the Si.
(I'm locked out on ever having any engine that has to run on anything over 87 octane, So the Si is out for me).
But... I've always been stuck on reg. since the 60's, My MC's also fill my need for speed more than "any" car, so it's easier to dial it back in my cars.

Hmmmmm.... id pick a civic, that's my biased opinion!
I read a magazine in an airport that had kind of a rack and stack of most of these cars and i know at least the dart and civic and mazda were compared. Just in case you're interested, it was the june 2013 issue of Motor Trend. Very nice comparison over a bunch of different categories, reading it might help make up your mind! :)

I generally prefer hearing about real world experiences over magazine articles. Reports of "emerging rattles" or "mechanical issues" are of importance to me. So, if you have friends or family with any of these cars listed, feel free to tell me of their experiences, good or not so good.

Personally I would go with a civic because I own one and both of my parents also own Hondas so Im pretty biased but I would also strongly consider the
Elantra (packed with features and seems a little more upscale) and the Mazda 3 which will most likely be the sportiest and get a bunch of high tech features such as radar cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot warning, push button start, auto wiper, and more fancy stuff.

Hmmmmm. I'm starting to see a pattern here. I'm guessing the number one spot would change based on which forum you're asking this question to.

It would be an interesting experiment to take the average across all of the forums for the cars that you're interested in to see which comes up the highest.

Last edited:
Oddly, . . . it SEEMS like the dummy in the Dart had the less viiolent movement. Not sure if it is considered "good" to have that "glancing blow" like the Dart had, as opposed to how the others stopped, but as for the structural support, the Civic sedan looked the best.

The Dart slid through the wall maybe because the front collision bar is much shorter than the others. The Civics showed how well built their chassis are. They are solid.

I would consider the Kia Optima or Forte and the base Impreza too, a bit pricier but not by much.

Either wise depends on your preference, what is more important fuel consumption, reliability or fun. For that regard the Toyota, Honda, Mazda groups is close each leaning more or less to some advantages and disadvantages. Honda and Toyota are the reliability kings more or less, Mazda can be more fun if you like its style. Being a new gen engine for the Mazda i would stay away too. I have a 3 but the the non SkyActive one especially to avoid new engine bugs.

Personally I would test drive all of them and choose the one I feel best driving. The cars in the group are pretty similar numbers wise, quite different feel wise.
I would not buy the Dodge due to reliability. Hyundai has come a long way and I think Mazda vs Hyundai reliability wise they're not far apart.

That last video was rather disturbing. And yeah, even the Elantra didn't do all that well. For safety sake, it looks like the Civic is the one to choose.

It really helps in decision making when you view these kinds of videos. I hope that, because of them, auto makers will start doing a better job with their structures. I hope my siblings don't get into an accident with their Darts, though they DID get an "acceptable" rating. At least they didn't get a Sentra or Forte. Yikes!

Back