2014 Honda Civic runs iPhone nav

Modifier
Chicago
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Honda announced its HondaLink app will include a navigation feature, letting drivers run navigation on their iPhone and see it on the car's LCD.

HondaLink_nav_610x445.jpg

This LCD in a Honda Civic shows maps and navigation running on an iPhone.

Many drivers find the navigation apps on their phones work better and are more up-to-date than those built into their dashboards, yet relying on a handset for turn-by-turn directions can be inconvenient and even dangerous. Honda hits the sweet spot with its new HondaLink app, integrating navigation from the phone into a car's built-in LCD.

Although different initiatives exist to emulate smartphones in the dashboard, the only example currently available from an automaker comes in the Chevy Spark and Sonic. Drivers of those models can buy the BringGo app and use it as the navigation engine, integrating it with the car's infotainment system.

Honda's example works in the just-released 2014 Civic model when equipped with its Display Audio feature. All 2014 Civic's above the LX trim get Display Audio, which uses a 7-inch touchscreen. The Display Audio interface allows swipe and pinch control, similar to that on smartphones and tablets.

2014_Honda_Civic_001_270x180.jpg

The home screen for HondaLink shows the system's features.

The next piece of the puzzle is the HondaLink app. At launch, the new generation HondaLink app will only work with the iPhone 5 or later, but Honda promises to extend compatibility to certain MirrorLink-enabled Android phones next year.

Owners will need to pay $60 for navigation within the HondaLink app.

HondaLink uses maps from Nokia Here, which will show on the car's LCD and can be displayed in plan or perspective view. The maps have a modern, refined look and use the entire expanse of the Civic's LCD to show streets and guidance. The system also includes live traffic.

The app includes online local search, so drivers can easily find businesses. Drivers will be able to use the app outside of the car, looking up and saving addresses for use on the road.

Beyond navigation, HondaLink integrates online weather and includes the car's manual. And as in the previous generation HondaLink app, it will include podcasts and Internet radio stations served up by Aha Radio. An emergency function will call out to an operator in the case of an airbag deployment.

The connection to the car is a little clunky. The iPhone needs to be cabled to the car through a special adapter provided by Honda, which plugs into the car's HDMI and USB ports. As Android supports a more open Bluetooth connection, future integration with Android phones may be easier.

After the 2014 Civic implementation, Honda says the next model to get the Display Audio and HondaLink integration will be the 2015 Fit, to be introduced in late 2014.

Along with the new HondaLink app, the 2014 Honda Civic will support Siri on iPhones, letting drivers push a button to activate their iPhones' native cloud-based voice command.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_...runs-iphone-nav/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Looks like that nav unit will probably be the same in the new fit as well. Pretty interesting stuff, as I know a lot of users have said they'd rather use google maps.

@SOLO8thGenSi just did his training course on this new stuff the other day. He shared some interesting things about it with me. I think its a great idea but I am sure there will be some type of drawbacks.

One thing he mentioned is currently the system is set to only support iPhones, Sorry Android users.

@SOLO8thGenSi just did his training course on this new stuff the other day. He shared some interesting things about it with me. I think its a great idea but I am sure there will be some type of drawbacks.

One thing he mentioned is currently the system is set to only support iPhones, Sorry Android users.
"but Honda promises to extend compatibility to certain MirrorLink-enabled Android phones next year."

Can you use any navigation app or does it have to be the honda one. It would be kick *** if you can use the tom-tom iPhone app with it. My past exp with buit in navigation not even just honda is that they all suck. Especially the one in my work car that was a prius v. I never used the navigation I just used my tom-tom app on my iPhone bc the prius navigation was just unusable.

^ that's the part that I don't understand 100%

"Many drivers find the navigation apps on their phones work better and are more up-to-date than those built into their dashboards, yet relying on a handset for turn-by-turn directions can be inconvenient and even dangerous. Honda hits the sweet spot with its new HondaLink app, integrating navigation from the phone into a car's built-in LCD."

but then it says

"Owners will need to pay $60 for navigation within the HondaLink app."

"The maps have a modern, refined look and use the entire expanse of the Civic's LCD"

If it's loading google maps or apple maps, I'm not sure why they're talking about the "look" of them above. Unless honda puts some type of skin over the standard google/apple navigation look? Seem stupid that you need to pay $60 to use the navigation maps that your phone already gives you for free. Unless I'm not fully understanding what's going on.

It looks like an interesting idea. Almost defeats the purpose of the w/navigation package - $2000 for an in-dash unit. Why not save on that and drop the $60 for your iPhone connection...if you own an iPhone 5+ or soon to be Android?

Defeats the in-nav package? You need the honda nav package to do this phone nav setup.

Solo taught me on my current set up that if I'm using Bluetooth audio and I set my navigation it will send directions trough the speakers as I'm listening to it. So although I might not be able to see it I can hear instructions. I'm sure this system will work the same if you decide not to pay the $60 , but for $60 why wouldn't you!!

Although it seems like a good idea, I personally would rather save the money (the navigation option) since I use my phone directly. I have the hands free set up for long trips or I have my co pilot use the phone and tell me where to go. I don't know anything about updating a navigation system, but the last time I knew someone that had one...it became outdated very quickly. That's one of the things that will make this option nice since you can constantly update phones.

Is that 60$ you pay for life or a yearly subscription. I'm happy with my '13 navi. Not the best for showing up all the street names but better than wasting my phone data and risking getting caught using my phone while driving. Touch screen looks nice I'm not gonna lie. Kind of jelly. But I like having the physical knobs and the touch screen of the 13 navi.

Although it seems like a good idea, I personally would rather save the money (the navigation option) since I use my phone directly. I have the hands free set up for long trips or I have my co pilot use the phone and tell me where to go. I don't know anything about updating a navigation system, but the last time I knew someone that had one...it became outdated very quickly. That's one of the things that will make this option nice since you can constantly update phones.

You can update your existing navi information. I think you have to install a disk though. It's not wireless.

It's actually done via USB. They send you a USB stick with the update on it. It's expensive though. Especially for us Canadians.
Really. Thanks for clearing it up. That's bulshit u shouldn't have to pay. Lol. At least not a lot maybe 20-30$. Any more and that's just robbery. Lol.

Really. Thanks for clearing it up. That's bulshit u shouldn't have to pay. Lol. At least not a lot maybe 20-30$. Any more and that's just robbery. Lol.

They want around $30 just for shipping. I think the last I saw it was close to $200. They had a sale for US residents for free shipping and $99. Still pricey considering the price of the option really.

They want around $30 just for shipping. I think the last I saw it was close to $200. They had a sale for US residents for free shipping and $99. Still pricey considering the price of the option really.
Damn! I'm not a useless tit for finding my way around I'll pass.

Back