Anyone else having battery issues?

This was posted on the local Quebec Civic forum today.......

Bon journer de travail terminer! J'ai changer au moin 8 batteries! 2x civic 2012, 2x crv 2012 et 4x autres année de honda!! Ca c'est appart des batteries a recharger et les update a faire
-__-
PS: je travail cher un concessionnaire honda'

Translation:

A good day of work finished! I replaced at least 8 batteries! Two 2012 Civics, two 2012 CRVs and four other year Hondas. This is apart from all the batteries I charged and updated.
PS: I work for a Honda dealership.

I don't think it's just Hondas. My father has a Ram that he has had the battery replaced under warranty each winter that he's had it. Just junk batteries that the manufactures are using. Since the number of vehicles that experience the extreme cold(and get batteries replaced under warranty) is relatively small, they can get away with it.

From my experience make sure they test the alternator. They claim to have a series of tests that they do so bring it in early and make them test it. **** batteries or not they should be holding somewhat of a charge. I say this cuz I think cold weather folks do use battery chargers.

We have a 2012 ex and a si. Both cars had lose battery terminal connectors from the dealer.
Could that be a root cause of the problem if left unchecked for a few months. I noticed the problem on the first cold morning and the ex did not want to turn over, fortunately the car was only a month old, fine ever since connectors tightened.

We have a 2012 ex and a si. Both cars had lose battery terminal connectors from the dealer.
Could that be a root cause of the problem if left unchecked for a few months. I noticed the problem on the first cold morning and the ex did not want to turn over, fortunately the car was only a month old, fine ever since connectors tightened.
Ya, I noticed mine were loose too, but I don't think that's the problem for many. Definitely something for people to check. Certainly an easy fix. :)

While I agree that having a battery charger is a good investment, I don't feel that with a car this new it should be a NECESSARY investment that I would be relying on as many as 2-3 times/week. My civic never sits undriven for more than 24hrs so it's not like I leave it for days or weeks at a time (in which case the dead battery would make more sense). My Acura was 11 years old when I sold it and only on it's second battery, never had an issue starting it despite the brutal cold we get here in Canada. I trusted Honda's to be reliable... and aside from this I've always felt that they were. But based on what I have seen online a lot of people are having issues with the battery and/or alternator so hopefully Honda steps up and fixes the issue! I will definitely ask them to check the alterntaor as well when it goes in for the battery test.

I asked the dealership guy which battery they replace the old one with and this was his response....

Si la batterie test bonne sa reste dememe avec seulement un charge! Sinon on la remplace avec une 475 cca au lieu de 410cca

This translates to.....

If the battery tests good it stays and is only charged! Otherwise it is replaced with a 475 cca instead of the 410 cca (it came with).

I asked the dealership guy which battery they replace the old one with and this was his response....

Si la batterie test bonne sa reste dememe avec seulement un charge! Sinon on la remplace avec une 475 cca au lieu de 410cca
This translates to.....

If the battery tests good it stays and is only charged! Otherwise it is replaced with a 475 cca instead of the 410 cca (it came with).

That's tells the story on the battery part, when my factory batt's wear out, I've been replacing them with no less than 800 cca's.........

Remember, in general that using a battery charger will not only keep you going when having other problems, but just using a charger will add years to the batt's total life(which pays for the charger).
Of course if you trade in cars every 2-4 years, at least carry your own jumper cables.

Reactions: Nix
Just had to swap the wifes battery last night. She has an 09' and it went through some pretty brutal winter conditions before it started to fail. It definitely seems odd that you guys with 1-2 year old cars are already having issues and needing replacements. Something is up.

Fun battery story: Car is dead in the morning so I take her car, jump it from mine and go to work, get a jump there to get to Sears to buy a new one, get a jump from Sears to get home with said new battery.....Oh and Sears sold me the wrong size battery! I told them I needed a 51R and they said oh no thats only for the coupe on the sedan you need this other one. Sounded reasonable since they had the computer in front of them. It was just ever so slightly the wrong size too. A quick look at the store and it seemed right except that it wouldnt fit when I got home and got the old one out! I had to walk to auto zone and get a new one and then return the wrong one back to sears. Fun fun changing a battery in the dark when its cold.

I remember when I was a broke university student. I had to plug it in every night and it would start,but to return home I'd have to flag someone down to boost it every day. I plugged it in with a 50 ft extension chord and a couple times in my rush to drive off to a school I forgot to unplug it, so was driving down the street dragging the chord. :pat:

In the oldddddddd days, because I didn't have cables, I once jumped a dead battery in my car by touching front bumpers with the other car and connecting an unravelled coat hanger between the two positive terminals.

:ohnoes:

:omg:

We were camping in the middle of nowhere and listening to music. Drained the battery with no cables. Had to rip out speaker wire to boost it. Speaker wire smoked and melted, but got the job done.

You guys have some crazy stories. I got my car back. New alternator new battery. I paid the labor charge cuz my service advisor was very nice and apologetic. He made it clear he got me the best deal he could. I paid only half the labor.

The OE batteries are cheap crap...but do you guys realize there is a PCM update for this problem? Basically, the alternator on old PCM software does not charge at idle or low engine rpm. This allows the battery to slowly become discharged. Most noticeable for those with short commutes.

The OE batteries are cheap crap...but do you guys realize there is a PCM update for this problem? Basically, the alternator on old PCM software does not charge at idle or low engine rpm. This allows the battery to slowly become discharged. Most noticeable for those with short commutes.
How do users get this update? Just tell the dealership they know there is some type of update they read about on the net....and hope they'll do it?

Anything users can print off?

Back