Hello from NJ

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys!

My family and I are new to Honda's. We have all owned bmw's forever. My wife and I are expecting our first baby girl and prior to her lease ending we decided to see what else is out there. Neither of us are to interested in the bmw current look.

My current car was a 2007 bmw 335i coupe. It was very well equipped from the oem factory. I pushed that car and it took me through my mid 20's with pleasure. It was a joy to drive that coupe. 6 speed manual, and the hear of the turbo's really made me want to take the long way home.

Well now in the past couple of years, the interest in going fast wasn't interesting to me. I hadn't pushed my car in a while. I was mainly concerned about mpg and smooth driving. I optioned the car to keep it however after the 5th year the maintenance was REALLY adding up. I was used to it already however after losing the interest in speeding, i felt I was getting into a car that wasn't me anymore. I wanted to get a 4 door sedan, with good mpg, stylish, reliable, has luxury options, and known for long life.

Went to check out honda for my wife in november and the civic was GREAT! WE leased her a 2013 EXL. Every chance i could I would drive the car (my wife doesn't drive mine because it's a shift). Every time I enjoyed it more and more. It has JUST THE RIGHT acceleration i wanted, and her gas fill up was HALF the cost of mine. It packed many features and the cost was night and day compared to what we are used to. I made up my choice, i wanted a honda.

When i went to look at them, they told me the 2014 should be out soon. I waiting and saw all the added features. I was exited. The ONLY thing that had me worried was the new CVT engine into it. So i had a choice, 2013 EXL with Nav, or 2014 with Nav. After multiple test drives i decided to go with the 2014!

I am a proud owner of a new 2014 EX-L with Nav. As for the CVT... I love it. I thinks it's a great car. Drives like a beauty. So here are some pics.

PS-I'm not much of a modder anymore if at all. I don't mind doing some minor stuff like weather tech all season floor mats, slash guard. Minor things. But my main thing now is, when oil change time comes around should I go OEM 0w-20 or Mobile1 0w-20 full synthetic. That's what i'm reading about now.

Like reading peoples posts. Don't worry, coming from previous forums, i like to use the "search" a lot. lol. Thanks guys.

oh and the snow blizzard is about to start so the pics have a little bit of snow on the car and it's not fully clean as I just picked it up 2 days ago.

Attachments

• fog.png
    fog.png
    844.5 KB · Views: 27
  • interior.png
    interior.png
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 28
  • mirror.png
    mirror.png
    907.8 KB · Views: 30
  • rear.png
    rear.png
    877.1 KB · Views: 28
  • rim.png
    rim.png
    829.6 KB · Views: 27
  • whell.png
    whell.png
    1,010 KB · Views: 29
Welcome..... Thx for the back ground with the pic's......
What/How does the side mirror camera?/censor? work??? How/where does the driver look for what's in the camera.............. is the monitor close to your forward gaze?

Hope you'll enjoy your Honda, I know I do...........

Last edited:
hould I go OEM 0w-20 or Mobile1 0w-20 full synthetic. That's what i'm reading about now.
I think you'll be fine either way honestly. Honda makes a blended 0w-20 (conventional/synth mix), and they also make a full synthetic 0w-20. I don't think you'd really see much of a difference either way. If you're really interested in that kind of stuff, you can send off test samples to blackstone labs or other places that will evaluate the oil and give you the results. It's like 19 or 20 dollars to have done. Welcome to the site

Welcome..... Thx for the back ground with the pic's......
What/How does the side mirror camera?/censor? work??? How/where does the driver look for what's in the camera.............. is the monitor close to your forward gaze?

Hope you'll enjoy your Honda, I know I do...........

Thanks! The side mirror camera is only on the passenger side. When you apply the right signal, the camera activates and the navigation screen will display all the cars on that side helping you greatly with the blind spots. There are lines (guides) that help you determine how close they are to being next to you. The rest you can just look out of the passenger window.
*In the settings you can disable it to pop up on your screen every time you put your right side blinker. Should you do this, you can still manually activate the view by pressing the side mirror button located on the left switch where the left and right turn signals are located.
*The guides can be removed in the settings as well. They serve as guides to tell you how close they are to being next to you. when the car next to you hits the red guide, he/she is too close.
*the camera is located right under the side mirror shown on the pic I posted.

Thanks for the welcome guys really appreciate it

I think you'll be fine either way honestly. Honda makes a blended 0w-20 (conventional/synth mix), and they also make a full synthetic 0w-20. I don't think you'd really see much of a difference either way. If you're really interested in that kind of stuff, you can send off test samples to blackstone labs or other places that will evaluate the oil and give you the results. It's like 19 or 20 dollars to have done. Welcome to the site
Thanks for the reply. I had read about honda having full synthetic however I only saw that online and not on the actual honda web site. I will check when closer to oil change status. I will do the same for my wives civic.

I will give the blackstone lab a try. I like to do my oil changes and look forward to doing them. i checked out good one on youtube buy i think the guy had a 2013 si. I will verify. I'm sure this forum will have a DIY, if not i will look around and also the manual explains a good amount.

Thanks! The side mirror camera is only on the passenger side. When you apply the right signal, the camera activates and the navigation screen will display all the cars on that side helping you greatly with the blind spots. There are lines (guides) that help you determine how close they are to being next to you. The rest you can just look out of the passenger window.
*In the settings you can disable it to pop up on your screen every time you put your right side blinker. Should you do this, you can still manually activate the view by pressing the side mirror button located on the left switch where the left and right turn signals are located.
*The guides can be removed in the settings as well. They serve as guides to tell you how close they are to being next to you. when the car next to you hits the red guide, he/she is too close.
*the camera is located right under the side mirror shown on the pic I posted.

Thanks for the welcome guys really appreciate it

Thx for the run down, sounds useful.........

Welcome and congrats on the new Civic!

How was the transition from your BMW to the Civic? I used to drive an E92 328i xDrive myself (though not nearly as loaded as yours, I presume) and I find myself enjoying my Si a lot more. Although I do miss some luxuries like rain sensing wipers and heated seats, I enjoy driving my Si a whole lot more! (The auto in the BMW really didn't help things.) I sure do miss that car, though; it was in a gorgeous barbera red metallic.

VoZP6ZZ.jpg

Welcome and congrats on the new Civic!

How was the transition from your BMW to the Civic?...

Nice Car! That transition was pretty good. There are a few differences however i am extremely happy with my purchase. I look forward to driving my car everyday. Makes me feel great that I'm saving on mpg and still driving in all the features I want. I haven't filled up my gas tank yet buy it's only been 4 days. I'm still not on half empty yet. On my 335i i would most likely be on 1/4th tank left by now and would def need to fill up by the 5th day and rarely it will last 6th day. If i drive like a grandma and use a lot of cruise control and don't make a lot of trips i was able to hit 7 days. But that never really ever happened. I think i achieved that twice. Let's see how long until I reach 1/4th. it will be interesting to see with regular driving habits.

Thanks for the welcome guys! since it snowed hard here in NJ, i've been spending a lot of time catching up on the navigation manual. It's always a great feeling to be able to personalize the setting etc... Somethings i was unsure of as my bmw didn't have but i'm still reading.

Hey does anyone recommend the window visor from Honda? Does it really make a difference? I'm looking to get splash guards soon.

Quite a few people have the window visors. I think it's more about the look for a lot of people.

Back