2012 Starter Issue

From this morning... doesn't seem as bad but it definitely doesn't look or feel as sprightly of a start as other Civics (from Youtube). Does this look like a problem? My dealer is taking me on Friday but I thought I'd post this to make sure I'm not crazy or imagining this. :pray:

Still kind of stutters on start. Not as bad as the last vid though. Have them watch the vid of that previous start when you're there.

Has acted up a couple times, like its not catching and just winds up. Second crank works as normal. My master tech here at work went to start it to do some maintenance on my car and when he went to start it acted up. I will be getting a new starter tomorrow. He called Honda and they said put another starter on it.

maybe the cold start injector ? if it sences no fuel it wont start it happen to me once but had not driven it in a week but after that i put the key in turn it to on position for like 4-5 seconds and it startes right up ...i give it some time for the fuel pump to feed the line and cold start injector to sence the fuel and its never happen to me since .

Last edited:
My 2013 did this once the other day, honestly it doesn't worry me in the least, since this is the 4th honda that I have owned that occasionally doesn't start on the first try. My 2003 Accord V6 6sp was far worse about it. I woudn't surprise me if it is a matter of the fuel pump getting fuel to the engine in time to crank.

Got a 2012 civic exl with 15000 miles on it. Absolutely love the car but. Same starting problem others have mentioned. It might go a week or more and start fine then it won't start when you turn the key. Sometimes I'll try to start it once and it won't start then on the next attempt it will start right up. Sometimes it will take 3 times to get it started. It always does start so far. Took it to a dealership and of course it started. They said they had never seen this problem. If anyone can solve this problem it would be wonderful.

My piece of crap did this, this morning. No starter engagement in the first key turn, then the 2nd it started. I called my dealer I got it , luckily I'm a tech for their Nissan store and they ordered a starter over the phone for me. Very nice

My piece of crap did this, this morning. No starter engagement in the first key turn, then the 2nd it started. I called my dealer I got it , luckily I'm a tech for their Nissan store and they ordered a starter over the phone for me. Very nice
Mine does this once in a while. Nothing at all on first turn of key. 2nd turn is always okay though. I think quite a few others have experienced this.

Been about a couple weeks my car has died. I figured it was a battery issue and I went to get it checked several places and my battery rating is still very good. One mechanic said it might be cause the battery doesn't have enough power to start up due to the compressions or some ****. Idk how much of that I should believe. Yesterday my car died again, tried to jump it 5 no start. When I turn the key, it just makes clicking noises. Talked to a few of my friends and it may be the starter that went out. But now my battery is dead as well since the dash lights no longer come on. We'll be checking it in the next 30ns when they get here...hopefully we can find out the problem asap. My 2012 FB6 has 51.5k on the odo btw.

Been about a couple weeks my car has died. I figured it was a battery issue and I went to get it checked several places and my battery rating is still very good. One mechanic said it might be cause the battery doesn't have enough power to start up due to the compressions or some ****. Idk how much of that I should believe. Yesterday my car died again, tried to jump it 5 no start. When I turn the key, it just makes clicking noises. Talked to a few of my friends and it may be the starter that went out. But now my battery is dead as well since the dash lights no longer come on. We'll be checking it in the next 30ns when they get here...hopefully we can find out the problem asap. My 2012 FB6 has 51.5k on the odo btw.
You have seen this thread right?

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/anyone-else-having-battery-issues.9803/page-5#post-266253

I'm having the exact same issues with starting my 2012 EX. The dealer is offering to keep it for a few days to see if they can replicate the problem, but the odds of that are probably pretty low since it is happening so randomly. It's not cold weather related, there's no consistent pattern. Very frustrating. I'm going to try to write to HONDA, they need to do a recall.

My Honda civic 2012 EXL is having the same problem.When I turn the key to start, it crank but the engine does not fire up. I had to turn off and start again. It starts at 10,000 . It happened once in awhile, now at 34,999 it happens more often but still random. Most recent, it happens twice in one day and it took me three tries. Today 2/17/2012, I took it to the dealership. They tried to duplicate the problem and did electrical check. They found nothing wrong. Anyone on this ever find the problem?? I am going to fax to HONDA tomorrow along with my invoice today .

Back