Potentially moving to Calgary

TeeEyeVany

Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si w/Navi
Body Style
Coupe
So I had an interview with an oil company in Calgary and if I am offered the job I will be moving there in May/June. I realize that I don't have the job yet however I want to do my research just in case I do get the offer.

So the job is in Downtown Calgary and myself and my girlfriend will be moving if I get the job. We're trying to figure out some numbers regarding cost of living. I've looked up on StatsCanada the CPI for both where we live now (Newfoundland) and in Alberta and got 126.7 and 129.9 respectively, meaning it's slightly more expensive in Alberta. We will be looking at renting a 1 bedroom (possibly 2 bedroom) depending on price and area. We have been looking on rentfaster.ca to get an idea of prices and have mainly looked in the SW and SE areas.

Basically what I am asking is if anybody who currently lives in the Calgary area could give us some estimates for monthly expenses for 2 people regarding rent and food. As well as any other expenses besides the normal car payment, insurance, gas, cell phone, etc.

As well if anyone could suggest areas to stay away from when looking for a place to live it'd be great.

Thanks for any help.

Hey I own a 2 bedroom townhouse east of the city in Chestermere. I don't know much about rent in the city other than hearing it's really hard to find with less than 1% occupancy. You will find that areas in the NE are a lot cheaper than other areas, as it is a little shadier than most areas. Stay away from Forest Lawn in the NE. Travel into downtown from anywhere in the city can be tricky at times with traffic but that is to be expected. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Hey I own a 2 bedroom townhouse east of the city in Chestermere. I don't know much about rent in the city other than hearing it's really hard to find with less than 1% occupancy. You will find that areas in the NE are a lot cheaper than other areas, as it is a little shadier than most areas. Stay away from Forest Lawn in the NE. Travel into downtown from anywhere in the city can be tricky at times with traffic but that is to be expected. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the info!

I'm originally from Edmonton. Please do not become a Flames fan. Great city though. Rocky Mountains on an hour away. You like to ski?

I'm originally from Edmonton. Please do not become a Flames fan. Great city though. Rocky Mountains on an hour away. You like to ski?

Don't need to worry about that...I'm a big time Oilers fan haha

I've snowboarded for about 12 years so I'd def be spending some time in the mountains if I get the job

Back