Sun Visor Removal?

Velox

Naples, FL
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
Hey guys,
It seems the sun visor has changed for the 9th gen Civic and this new attachment method is odd. There is a little white tab made of shitty plastic that has already been crumpled by pressing it 3 or 4 times with a driver, so I need to ask if I’m doing this wrong. Has anyone removed this sun visor? Want to let me know how you did it? I tried pressing in the little tab and moving the plate, the visor, and just everything but it wouldn’t budge.

NTDK7dQ.jpg

iPhone won’t focus 5cm away...
7ImkKDy.jpg

Reactions: Nix
So I got the damn things out today. I don’t see what was wrong with the old method of attaching these visors - two bolts covered by a little plastic cover that could be popped off with a screw driver. I agree with “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” and believe whoever thought this design was the way to go should lose their job. Taking out the headliner was a breeze except for this one little annoyance.

To get a sun visor out:
1) Unclip the sun visor from its secondary attachment point (for the left visor, this is the right-side clip)
2) Push a slotted screw driver into the little white locking mechanism and twist the whole visor in full revolutions until it pops out.

The problem with this detachment method is the fact that you have to bend the visor a bit and ram it into the headliner causing that headliner foam to get slightly bent. This mechanism could work in theory, but it’s too sloppily manufactured to be easier than how slightly older Hondas are attached (two simple bolts). Maybe a German manufacturer could use this type of mech but the Japanese shouldn’t even try. This took way too long and put me in a sour mood for the remaining headliner take-down.

Images of the attachment mechanism in case someone else runs into this problem. Seeing the device makes it a bit easier to understand its removal process.

JPvv80I.jpg

i3DAfUg.jpg

S2I8fcz.jpg

XACpg9s.jpg

lbGb5bU.jpg

Yeah, I realize I solved my own problem. I'm posting about it in case anyone in the future runs into this issue. I tried to search this site, a few other Honda sites, and through Google to find how these new(ish) sun visors are attached but I couldn't find anything. Hopefully I can save a few headaches for others in the future with these pictures.

@AlienPrime was messing or going to mess with his headliner?
I saw that somewhere in the forums and messaged him. I think his sun visor has a different attachment method because he mentioned a screw and prying off a cap (like the older Civics). I'm not sure if this was a 9thgen change or just for the '13. But I don't know what year AlienPrime drives either so...

Well, I'm sure at some point someone will run into this so thanks for guinea pigging this for us. Sometimes it sucks to be first but, hey, that's how we all learn.

Sorry about that man. I honestly remember prying something off to remove a screw, but i could be wrong. Like i said can't check my car till summer :(

Sorry about that man. I honestly remember prying something off to remove a screw, but i could be wrong. Like i said can't check my car till summer :(
No worries at all, man. If you have ever removed a sun visor from pretty much any other car in existence, those instructions would have been spot on - lol.

It is so flaw in many ways. You end up breaking it more and more trying to remove it and then you really have to replace the piece itself.. Not to mention that you end up messing up your headliner in the process. I'm just redoing my headliner and this one little "simple" solution was a 30 min process with just taking one off. I still have the other one to go but I'm afraid of breaking this one..

I found the removal info pretty clear. The attachment photos are great but could you add some text?

My visor came off on its own yet nothing seems broken, Your photos seem to confirm that. Any written details on how to reattach?
The car is a 2012 Civic LX four door and the visor is (or was) on the passenger side.

I seemed to have answered my own question thanks to the drawing. Pardon the crude illustration and explanation.Visor.jpg

Back