Dropbox vs Google Drive vs OneDrive

stormtrooper

Hey everybody, just wanted to know what people think of Dropbox, Google Drive, and (Microsoft) OneDrive. Pros and cons to each an which one people use the most. I was reading a bunch of different articles from cnet, etc. about each one and their features.

I know quite a few individuals who use dropbox. I don't know a lot about them personally

i know most people use dropbox as it has been around the longest and has the best/cleanest user interface in my opinion.
but i use google drive since everything else is google and android in my life, it's just easier when everything is integrated.
never used OneDrive before, but i assume they all have the same basic features

I use Dropbox and Google Drive on a consistent basis. Dropbox is better for use as a folder on your computer, where Google Drive works better as an online service where collaboration works really well. You can share Dropbox files, but friends really can't edit them without sharing an entire folder and making an account. I can send links to documents in my Google drive to other students, and they can read and edit them right online. No opinion on Onedrive (Skydrive).

For personal use, I love Dropbox (dropbox.com). The integration between all my devices and the interface is very well done. I also have Box (box.com) for collaboration, where in that one instance, is better than Dropbox.

I use Dropbox and Google Drive on a consistent basis. Dropbox is better for use as a folder on your computer, where Google Drive works better as an online service where collaboration works really well. You can share Dropbox files, but friends really can't edit them without sharing an entire folder and making an account. I can send links to documents in my Google drive to other students, and they can read and edit them right online. No opinion on Onedrive (Skydrive).

All the services mentioned allow a virtual "folder" to be placed into the file structure of a Windows OS. (I.E. - you can place said folder on your desktop if you desire)

Points of note (that haven't already been mentioned):
-OneDrive/Skydrive is already present on the Win8 OS (Win8 Mobile as well, I believe??)
-With Google Drive, Emails and Email attachments sent to the subscriber's @gmail.com address count against your available storage allotment.
-If you need the ability to upload files over 10GB in size, then you're stuck with Dropbox (out of the options mentioned in the OP)

IMO, its more feasible for me to store sensitive/historical data myself, as I already have gone through the burden of purchasing the needed hardware. (I'm moreso against the "product as a service" business model, than I am for it.) But for sharing data quickly, its pretty much a no brainer for the large majority to utilize a commercial cloud service.

Back