2012 Honda Civic Si is lagging pretty bad

blkhwk1234

Hello!

I am new to the ownership of a Civic Si, and I'll be honest I love it. However, my car has started giving me issues. I think it may have been because I accidentally shifted from 6th to 2nd in an attempt to get to 4th. I don't know if this is the root cause or not, so I thought I'd ask you all. My engine sounds fine, and my transmission feels normal even after this incident happening over 2 days ago. However, now my car doesn't get up and go fast. It took me 9-10 seconds to reach 60 MPH. When I step on it,it won't hurry up like it did before this incident. I usually felt a boost at 4000 rpm, but now it's smooth. The vtec boost used to be noticeable, but now it doesn't feel like anything. I mean, I hear the vtec transition but don't feel the rush. Would anyone know what could be the root cause?

There is no check engine light, which is the puzzling piece. It turns on like normal, it shifts like normal, no warning lights on the dash. It's just slow from the perspective that I don't feel the boost when stepping down on the gas pedal. It feels way too smooth. I can't remember exactly how fast I was going as I heard the loud rev from the engine and took it out of 2nd gear let it in neutral for a bit, coasted, then out it into 4th to exit.

I took it to AutoZone to have it read just in case there was a code being outputted, and they didn't read anything. Honestly, I wish I could reset the ECU, but am too afraid of touching my car in this way. Any help would be very appreciated!

Welcome.....
There's a safety built into the car that won't allow it to go into a too low gear, to protect from these mistakes...... So how it got there is questionable in it self, but that aside, I don't have a clue to why you're losing power, since it's running ok otherwise. Take it to the dealer and have them look it over.

Or wait to see if someone on here can suggest something......... Skip shifting is not the best practice(6 to 4th) at any rate with out matching rpm's.

I thought it only locked out reverse at speed? OP is your vtec light coming on at 5k rpms? The red light beside the word vtec to the left of your speedometer. Not the rev counter lights below the word vtec.

I thought it only locked out reverse at speed? OP is your vtec light coming on at 5k rpms? The red light beside the word vtec to the left of your speedometer. Not the rev counter lights below the word vtec.

Yes, the vtec red light comes on at 5k rpms.

Then idk. Maybe take it to the dealer to see if its different than another one. Could be lost compression, could be just you freaking out because you over revved it lol. I do the same thing when I abuse a car.

To be fair these cars don't usually have a boost when they hit vtec or anything like on the older hondas. Mine is really smooth and just keeps pulling. If it wasn't for the light you would normally not even know if vtec was working (unless you have an intake, then you can hear it).

Hello!

I am new to the ownership of a Civic Si, and I'll be honest I love it. However, my car has started giving me issues. I think it may have been because I accidentally shifted from 6th to 2nd in an attempt to get to 4th. I don't know if this is the root cause or not, so I thought I'd ask you all. My engine sounds fine, and my transmission feels normal even after this incident happening over 2 days ago. However, now my car doesn't get up and go fast. It took me 9-10 seconds to reach 60 MPH. When I step on it,it won't hurry up like it did before this incident. I usually felt a boost at 4000 rpm, but now it's smooth. The vtec boost used to be noticeable, but now it doesn't feel like anything. I mean, I hear the vtec transition but don't feel the rush. Would anyone know what could be the root cause?

There is no check engine light, which is the puzzling piece. It turns on like normal, it shifts like normal, no warning lights on the dash. It's just slow from the perspective that I don't feel the boost when stepping down on the gas pedal. It feels way too smooth. I can't remember exactly how fast I was going as I heard the loud rev from the engine and took it out of 2nd gear let it in neutral for a bit, coasted, then out it into 4th to exit.

I took it to AutoZone to have it read just in case there was a code being outputted, and they didn't read anything. Honestly, I wish I could reset the ECU, but am too afraid of touching my car in this way. Any help would be very appreciated!
Grabbing 2nd instead of 4th at 62mph - peak torque point in 4th - puts rpms at 8600 = TOAST
Suspect VTEC doesn't anymore - The VTEC light on the dash is just an rpm indicator, not the valve profile changing.

Last edited:
I could've sworn the vtec light only comes on when the vtec solenoid engages. I know it doesn't come on when the engine is cold or right after the cold light has turned off.

My rocker arm broke when I turned my car on when I had a 12 and the car never read something being wrong, even Honda was surprised the car didn't pick it up, and the vtec would activate then shut off. So yours might not say anything is wrong, but it sounds like something is definitely messed up in your engine.

Consensus. Take it in. Also check your oil level. In case tacthecat its right a lot the light. Vtec won't kick on if you don't have enough oil pressure.

All,

Thank you for your responses. I've taken the car in today... Hopefully they can tell me if anything is wrong. Sadly, it's 112 bucks. But, it should be worth it. Ill keep you all posted.

Guys,

The verdict is in! So the computer put a hold on the power output of the engine for protection until serviced (not sure how it works, this is what the tech told me). To restore the power,a tech has to clear the error code (engine over speed). He must record it for warrany purposes. The computer showed that I was going 73 when I shifted from 6th to 3rd (I guess it wasn't 2nd like I thought). This was at 7114 rpms. The tech said there may be clutch damage, but it wasn't noticeable. The engine is in good condition. But he advised that the next time happens,warranty will be void.

I was going to say if it's under warranty you shouldn't have to pay for them to check it out. Especially if you have a service package.

Guys,

The verdict is in! So the computer put a hold on the power output of the engine for protection until serviced (not sure how it works, this is what the tech told me). To restore the power,a tech has to clear the error code (engine over speed). He must record it for warrany purposes. The computer showed that I was going 73 when I shifted from 6th to 3rd (I guess it wasn't 2nd like I thought). This was at 7114 rpms. The tech said there may be clutch damage, but it wasn't noticeable. The engine is in good condition. But he advised that the next time happens,warranty will be void.
Good news - But the "engine over speed" code is not the correct term (it may be what the "Code Book" says). As the stock '12- Si Fuel cut-off number is 7300 rpm and a lot of owners have hit it; this sounds more like an "unusual engine acceleration detected" event. Either way, if below 7300 rpm I'd think it would be difficult to void your warranty. It does raise another question though, with the hondata reflash or Flashpro fuel cutoff point reset to 7600 rpm - If by chance Honda reads the ECU can they automatically void your warranty???

Back