Buddy club pulley set

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
has anyone swapped out their stock pulley? Been looking at this for awhile now and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this, has respectable gains..my only real question is would I need a tune right away for this ?
image.jpg

There's several sets out there that are available for us: NST, Buddy Club, and unorthodox racing. I ordered the 3 piece pulley set from NST back in March and have yet to receive them. I finally gave up and purchased the unorthodox racing last week and they should be arriving by ups today. I'm still in the middle of tuning with Vit (215 whp/ 192 tq) but should be able to gauge roughly how much power can be freed up with a nice pulley set.

There's several sets out there that are available for us: NST, Buddy Club, and unorthodox racing. I ordered the 3 piece pulley set from NST back in March and have yet to receive them. I finally gave up and purchased the unorthodox racing last week and they should be arriving by ups today. I'm still in the middle of tuning with Vit (215 whp/ 192 tq) but should be able to gauge roughly how much power can be freed up with a nice pulley set.
Sweet. I think I'm going with the buddy club set im going to call first to see that they're not in back order. I know I need a tune on my car asap what I'm asking i guess is if I install this will I need an immediate tune to avoid any issues etc. my full race downpipe is still in the box because I haven't gotten a tune yet and don't want it running rich and sloppy

Running a tune on these cars are priceless no matter the mod. Yes you can run the pulley without a tune without any major issues. The tune just helps to maximize the gains of each part, especially the downpipe. Just be mindful that you'll probably want to install your bolt ons and then do an ultimate tune with Vit, as he'll tune the car for your exact mods.

Ryan (Moddiction.com) and importdps can get the buddy club set but will have to ship them directly from buddy club. I personally chose unorthodox racing as they're lighter, are slightly underdriven and come with a belt. After speaking with Oscar over at ProCivic he sold me on them, plus they were in stock and sent out same day. Just food for thought.

Running a tune on these cars are priceless no matter the mod. Yes you can run the pulley without a tune without any major issues. The tune just helps to maximize the gains of each part, especially the downpipe. Just be mindful that you'll probably want to install your bolt ons and then do an ultimate tune with Vit, as he'll tune the car for your exact mods.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing actually, getting all my fbo together then tune.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe vit said the car could go into limp mode without a tune on underdrive/lightweight pullies.

Ryan (Moddiction.com) and importdps can get the buddy club set but will have to ship them directly from buddy club. I personally chose unorthodox racing as they're lighter, are slightly underdriven and come with a belt. After speaking with Oscar over at ProCivic he sold me on them, plus they were in stock and sent out same day. Just food for thought.
Axion has em going to order through them. And I just like the overall color of the buddy club ones. I think they'll go great with the color of my car

One post
You know, the pulley makers will argue til they turn blue in the face that there is no harm from running one of their lightweight crank pullies, and sure, on a bolt on car that barely makes more power than stock, you'll probably last 100k miles.

Hell I used to think the same til I got more and more into motor building and high HP cars.

BUT, the stock pulley IS a harmonic dampener. On an F/I car I would never run a dampener that isn't at least the stock one. I've seen what the damage oil pumps and bearings suffer from not running a proper harmonic dampener.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe vit said the car could go into limp mode without a tune on underdrive/lightweight pullies.
Ohh really, well that was what I was worried about. What about with a hondata re flash?

I'm not a fan of the pullies, I've used them in the past on several cars and didn't really see any benefit.

I have yet to meet a manufacturer that doesn't claim gains for any product they make that is "supposed" to add power. If the pullies add say 3hp, that's a gain that will never be felt, and something like pullies is highly subject to something called "diminishing returns" -- on a stock Si they might help more than on a fully bolted on Si. And on a forced induction Si they will have zero benefit -- the motor makes so much power that a weight change in the crank pulley is just irrelevant, you'll never notice in any realistic application (dyno is not a realistic application, sorry).

If you want to talk about reducing rotating mass -- look at the oil pump with balance shafts. I have one sitting on the shelf, it weighs like 20lbs or something (it feels like a boat anchor compared to the RSX oil pump which weighs like 1 or 2 lbs).

Refresh the page and you should see 3 quotes from Vit. Maybe talk to him about it.

I have full bolt ons and a tune and as I mentioned before I have a baseline dyno and will installing the pullies probably next week with a post dyno to see the difference. Whether they make a difference or not, I figured somebody had to try it out and get the data for the rest of the group. Just saying...

I don't reply on topics which have been beaten more than a dead horse. If I've already had my say on a topic, repeating myself is just annoying.
Im not invested in you man , I don't know what you have and haven't replied to.

Last edited:
I have full bolt ons and a tune and as I mentioned before I have a baseline dyno and will installing the pullies probably next week with a post dyno to see the difference. Whether they make a difference or not, I figured somebody had to try it out and get the data for the rest of the group. Just saying...
Cool man keep us posted.

What do you think about the rumors saying they damage the motor in the long run?

Back