Kraftwerks basemap issue

voodoo50

I purchased a Kraftwerks supercharger kit and installed it onto my 2013 Honda Civic Si. I uploaded the basemap that Kraftwerks sent me on to the Flashpro and now onto my Civic. Everything good so far. Here is where the problem is. The car will not start. It cranks but will not fire. I have checked every single hose, wire and fuse and they are all in working order. What I did notice is that on the calibrations page for the sensors, it had the stock map sensor option checked, and not the Hondata 4 bar map sensor option checked. Could this be the culprit? The basemap has all of the other parameters taken care of with all the numbers put in i.e. fuel trim, cold start, boost cut, timing, etc, etc..... but if I just click on the 4 bar option will that be all I need to do to get the car to start and run? I called Kraftwerks and spoke with "Scott" who told me that they have no basemap available with a 4 bar option. I was like "wtf" well why would you have a kit that provides a 4 bar sensor to install and NOT offer a basemap tune for it?? So anyhow, can anyone help me with this issue? I also have a Vit Viper tune available as well however that tune is another story... Please help with this. Anyone have any advice? Recommendations?

I'm surprised Kraftwerks didn't have a list of things to check or any idea why your car won't start.
My only question is, did you try and start the car before you installed the base map and if so did it start?

I'm surprised Kraftwerks didn't have a list of things to check or any idea why your car won't start.
My only question is, did you try and start the car before you installed the base map and if so did it start?
The person I spoke with was "Scott". He didn't sound like he wanted to help with the situation. He told me to put the stock sensor back on (not the 4 bar) start it that way and take it to have it tuned. He said none of the maps they have are for a 4bar setup. I was really in shock. Why the hell sell a kit and offer a basemap tune without a 4bar calibration? The kit comes with a Hondata 4 bar sensor!! I'm gonna call back and try and speak with someone else on the matter... As of right now the car is sitting unable to start. Yes the car did start just fine BEFORE I installed the kit. I did NOT try and start the car without the Kraftwerks basemap because of the larger injectors, 4 bar, etc. Now with the basemap that Kraftwerks sent me, I try and start it and it just cranks but doesn't fire.

Last edited:
Put it back to the stock map an see if it will start. It won't hurt anything it will just run rich. Don't drive the car or rev it just let it idle. If it starts I would venture to say there is some sort of timing issue with the provided basemap.

Call @VitViper and get an etune. I bet he can sort it for you very quickly. You should invest in a proper tune anyway with the coin you've dropped on the kit. Get the most from it you can. I am of no help with your current issue though.

Im sure you know to get a tune already. Probably stating the obvious.

Put it back to the stock map an see if it will start. It won't hurt anything it will just run rich. Don't drive the car or rev it just let it idle. If it starts I would venture to say there is some sort of timing issue with the provided basemap.
In contact with Vit Viper. Using his tune and trying to datalog. The car takes 25-30 cranks before it starts and when it runs it idles great. When I press the throttle, the car dies. So now I am waiting to hear back from Vit. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

Your mechanic needs to check fuel pressure at the rail. Everything you're describing points to a mechanical issue. The one *constant* variable we have here is the base map, it's started DOZENS of cars with the same kit, same injectors, same pump, same map sensor.

Your motor isn't getting enough fuel to fire immediately, after you crank it a million times you line the IM and cylinder walls with enough fuel that the motor finally fires up, but as soon as that burns off the motor dies (and yes pumping the throttle makes it want to die, cause you're opening the TB introducing more air, but there isn't enough fuel being supplied).

Seen this countless times, and it's always been a badly installed fuel pump (using the wrong parts and it doesn't seal in the cage, which bleed pressure right back into the cage instead of into your rail).

Your mechanic needs to check fuel pressure at the rail. Everything you're describing points to a mechanical issue. The one *constant* variable we have here is the base map, it's started DOZENS of cars with the same kit, same injectors, same pump, same map sensor.

Your motor isn't getting enough fuel to fire immediately, after you crank it a million times you line the IM and cylinder walls with enough fuel that the motor finally fires up, but as soon as that burns off the motor dies (and yes pumping the throttle makes it want to die, cause you're opening the TB introducing more air, but there isn't enough fuel being supplied).

Seen this countless times, and it's always been a badly installed fuel pump (using the wrong parts and it doesn't seal in the cage, which bleed pressure right back into the cage instead of into your rail).
So what about the whole 4 bar map sensor thing? The person who tunes the car ends up changing it down the road or? Just curious in case this comes up again.

So what about the whole 4 bar map sensor thing? The person who tunes the car ends up changing it down the road or? Just curious in case this comes up again.

I provide a map with the correct map sensor setting if you tell me which one you're using (I have a notes field for mods during tune purchase). It's a simple setting and doesn't change the basemap. You can even do the same on the KW basemap, just toggle the setting from stock to 4 bar. However, I wouldn't recommend running the KW basemap as it is not tuned past the stock map sensor setting (10psi) and you'll roast your motor with the ignition timing that's in that map above 10psi.

Vit you are right.. the fuel pump is the culprit. I am looking to order a new different fuel pump other than the BLOX unit I purchased. Do you or anyone else know of a good fuel pump that fits correctly? The BLOX unit I purchased was too long... It didn't fit/seat correctly in the cage.

As a follow up to this issue. I purchased a Deatschwerks fuel pump. THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. The car fired right up and ran beautifully. (Well.... With what a base tune will allow anyway). The car may have started with the basemap Kraftwerks provided but I am not sure because the INCORRECT fuel pump I installed initially was what was preventing the car from starting. Vit Viper was extremely helpful with this ordeal. I can't say the same for the Skunk2 associate I spoke with over the phone. Now it's just tuning with Vit Viper and waiting to see how long the tuning process will take. Thanks to all for the help!!!

As a follow up to this issue. I purchased a Deatschwerks fuel pump. THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. The car fired right up and ran beautifully. (Well.... With what a base tune will allow anyway). The car may have started with the basemap Kraftwerks provided but I am not sure because the INCORRECT fuel pump I installed initially was what was preventing the car from starting. Vit Viper was extremely helpful with this ordeal. I can't say the same for the Skunk2 associate I spoke with over the phone. Now it's just tuning with Vit Viper and waiting to see how long the tuning process will take. Thanks to all for the help!!!
I have never bought anything from @VitViper but from what I've seen and heard on this forum he's a great guy.
Glad to hear your car is now running @voodoo50

@JonnyRotten what I will say is this.... In this aftermarket world, it is good to do business with people who have a good reputation. Anyway you look at things, it's hard earned money we're putting into our machines. I purchased an etune with @VitViper when I found out the KW kit came with a Flashpro. The "KW basemap" that comes with the kit is basically good up to 10 psi from what I understand. Basically good enough to get you to a "tuner" and have your vehicle tuned. I'm one of those cats that researches and bargain shops... Sometimes not such a good combination. Lol. But I have been working with Vit since day one of my etune purchase and I can honestly say it has been a great experience thusfar. Money well spent and a word of advice.... BE PATIENT. Lol. Good customer service before, during and after the sale.

Back