How to tow '14 Si?

Dahws

Hey guys,

So I'm moving across the country and am wondering what's the best way to tow my car? I know it's fwd and so a tow dolly should suffice, but would it cause any damage? I don't think so personally and from my research but would like to double check with you all here. I also have a '90 integra A/T and am planning to drive that while someone else drives the moving truck with my Si attached.

Would it be better to drive my car or the teggy? Tow dolly or completely load the car? Just for reference I'm driving approximately 1700 miles.

Excited to hear what you all think...

No reason you can't dolly it.... it's just going to make driving the truck more complicated over that distance (merging/changing lanes etc). Have you looked to see what it'd cost to have it on a flatbed style truck from a vehicle moving service? There are companies that do nothing but transport vehicles from point a to point b. You'd save a little wear on your rear tires since it'd be off the ground on a moving truck. Save you the hassle of trying to drive that far with like another 18ft of car behind your moving truck. Save you on gas as well.

Dolly = $45. Flatbed =$300. I'm also concerned about paint chips etc, should I plasti dip the lower half of the rear to protect it? Not really worried about rear tire wear. Hope they wear out sooner rather than later lol. Stock tires aren't that great tbh.

lower half of the rear being plasti? I'd plasti as much of the front as possible unless this dolly is backwards? Towing an extra 3k pounds of weight is going to be a factor on 1700 miles. I understand a dolly is cheap to rent, but it will have an expense in gas. just something to consider

If the front of the car is upwards and the lower half is on the pavement it would be better to plasti dip the rear half, right?

TowDollyLarge.png

if it's something like this that you're renting... the front is the part that will have stones/road crap being thrown at it. Cover that in plasti to help your paint

Ahahaha exact same pic I was going to post. I'm thinking I should just dip the whole bottom half of the entire car.

behind the rear wheel well area wouldn't hurt I guess. If the truck throws stones it'll be coming at your front bumper area

Why not rent a trailer from Uhaul? Buy cover for your car at local autozone and you're done.

uhaul01.jpg

Reactions: Nix
Thx webby. Guess I'm going with the dolly plasti dipped front. The trailers are a lot more expensive and I don't have a awd vehicle so it would serve no real purpose.

Unless I'm missing something?

Edit: anything you guys recommend before driving the integra 1700 miles? Overall mileage on the car is only 113k

If I was towing my car, I would go with the trailer option(the second pic, lol) and no dolly.

To me, it just seems better. Im sure it might be overkill but just seems "safer" somehow, lol.

I feel the same way. The dolly just seems weird and I don't feel like chancing it... Ughhh

Definitely go full trailer with a car cover, those Dolly's don't even have lights on the rear of the vehicle, not that it's illegal, just safer and better for the civic to be on a trailer

I third @Nomar06. As far as driving the teggy 1700 miles just give it a good run down first make sure all your fluids are topped off and bring a gallon of water/coolant and a quart of oil just in case.

Yup. So decided to drive my Si and tow the teggy instead. Funner to drive the Si and I feel more comfortable putting the teggy on the dolly. My 14 si already has 23k on it. What's another 1700 going to go. Much more fun to drive!

Back