Official Computer Talk Thread

^ nice build thread. Slowly but surely (just like a Honda ;) ) :giggle:

I think I'm going to sell my GTX 770 and get a newer model (GTX 970 or GTX 980)

^^
Get the gtx 980ti or whatever it's called. I think the price starts at $1000:giggle:

^ nice build thread. Slowly but surely (just like a Honda ;) ) :giggle:

I think I'm going to sell my GTX 770 and get a newer model (GTX 970 or GTX 980)

Thanks. It's been a lot of work and it never feels like I'm making progress, but I'll get there eventually.

I gotta say that GTA 5 on PC is very poorly optimized. I'm very lucky to see 60fps in the city and sometimes it gets as slow as 25fps. With all the delays and bullsh!t pulled by Rockstar this game should fly on Pc's like mine.

Personally I've never dealt with GSkill RAM (or products) before but I've heard friends use that brand without issue. The reviews are great on Newegg for that product... But I don't always believe/trust the reviews. The Logitech G930 wireless headset (my current headset) has AWESOME reviews but the ones you don't see are 95% of the people complaining about intermittent disconnects/reconnects... :/

But anyways my RAM (16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport) timing is 9-9-9-24 (Cas Latency of 9). Compared to the SKill you linked with has a timing of 11-13-13-31 (Cas Latency of 11). The lower the number the better.

But after my rambling.. How much of a difference will one really know for normal day-to-day use and some PC gaming.. Probably not really much. Going from 9 to 11 CL..

You should be fine with that RAM you linked.

Source of information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings

How much ram do you recommend? I'm running 10 gigs currently.

I mean it depends on what you are using your PC for.. Graphic editing, Video Editing - you will need more than the average Facebook, car forum user.

I am currently running 16GB (as you saw above) and I find that to be overkill for my needs but I got a good deal on it when I built my PC. It was a CPU/mobo/RAM combo at MicroCenter.

Even when running BF4 (Origin, hardware temp monitoring software, TeamSpeak, Chrome) I'm not even using 1/2 of the 16GB.

How do you have your 10GB setup? 2x4GB & 1x2GB

I use it for surfing the web, playing games mostly through steam or origin, I would like to start editing my gopro videos if I had the time.

Computer specs as follows:

Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD FX8150 3.5gHz eight core processor
Corsair H60 liquid cooling
MSI Radeon HD7950 2GB GDDR5
10GB PC3-12800 (1x4GB) (3x2GB)
1TB WD Black 7200rpm HD
500GB WD Black 7200rpm HD
160GB Seagate 7200rpm HD
850W Power Supply
Ultra Gladiator Mid Tower Case

I actually have 2 setups with these specs. One for me and one for my girlfriend. Everything is identical except the graphics card and number of HDs. She's running a Sapphire Radeon R9270X 4 GB DDR5 Card.

Definitely not a bad setup. Might need to upgrade the memory if you use video editing software that is a RAM hog.

I personally like matched sets of RAM (kits) but that's just me.

If you know anyone looking for a GPU let me know. Like I said above I have my 2GB EVGA GTX 770 SC/ACX for sale. I'm still using it but want to upgrade :)

Definitely not a bad setup. Might need to upgrade the memory if you use video editing software that is a RAM hog.

I personally like matched sets of RAM (kits) but that's just me.

If you know anyone looking for a GPU let me know. Like I said above I have my 2GB EVGA GTX 770 SC/ACX for sale. I'm still using it but want to upgrade :)

Don't know anyone looking currently but Ill keep an eye out. I have a cpu and ram usage monitor built into my Logitech M510 keyboard and I never see it push past 40 or 50%. I also don't watch it like a hawk while I playing games so it could go higher.

I was too when I had my old quad core with the stock fan. Thing used to idle at like 70C. Once I bit the bullet and upgraded to liquid cooling my temps dropped to like 32C under full load. Even the new CPU runs about the same under load so I don't worry about it too much.

Work Battlestation (excuse the mess)

20150512_142558_zpsqqerpltt.jpg

Back