Low Rumbling Noise on Wife's FA1

brown_bear

Reston, Virginia
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I would ask over at 8th, but since the sites gone downhill I'd rather ask my peeps here. Yesterday I started to hear a low rumbling when at idle in my wifes 2010 EX. It speeds up when you step on the gas and you don't hear it much when driving.
Hear it more when idling and reversing. My guess is a Pulley is bad? No CEL is on and the car runs fine. Any insight or help
is appreciated!! :feedback::thumb:

Reactions: Nix
I would ask over at 8th, but since the sites gone downhill I'd rather ask my peeps here. Yesterday I started to hear a low rumbling when at idle in my wifes 2010 EX. It speeds up when you step on the gas and you don't hear it much when driving.
Hear it more when idling and reversing. My guess is a Pulley is bad? No CEL is on and the car runs fine. Any insight or help
is appreciated!! :feedback::thumb:
How often do YOU drive her car? Has she mentioned it? Open hood and locate area noise is coming from. Mileage on car? AC on? Manual or auto transmission? Wouldn't think pulley/bearing would throw a CEL until it froze or belt came loose/broke.

when I think of rumbling, I'd think of the exhaust. Any chance there is a pinhole/leak somewhere? Certain rpm ranges may accentuate the sound

How often do YOU drive her car? Has she mentioned it? Open hood and locate area noise is coming from. Mileage on car? AC on? Manual or auto transmission? Wouldn't think pulley/bearing would throw a CEL until it froze or belt came loose/broke.
I drive it pretty often,havent told her yet since she tends to freak out pretty easy over car issues. 87k on it so far, sounds like the noise is coming from the pass side where the belt and pulleys are. Our A/C isnt working right now(need to get that fixed), its a 5spd. the car doesnt sound any louder when driving it around. its noticeable at idle. No RPM fluctuations.

Is it worse when the car is cold? Does it lessen if the car is warm? Is first thing in the morning worse?

If you start the car and its noisy and drive to the store, then get back in the car while its still hot, is the noise there/gone/less?

Probably your AC compressor or compressor clutch
Hmm..as our a/c did go out on sunday driving back from my kids soccer game.
Is it worse when the car is cold? Does it lessen if the car is warm? Is first thing in the morning worse?

If you start the car and its noisy and drive to the store, then get back in the car while its still hot, is the noise there/gone/less?
sounds about the same hot or cold. I noticed it when i got back in the car after getting groceries. I thought I was just hearing things. would the a/c compressor/clutch make noise
when it goes bad??

Yea. Id have the dealer look at it though. Been a long time since I've had ac go out but then it did on my old truck, if you turned on the AC it sounded like a NASCAR engine revving up.

I work at a Hyundai Dealer so I'll have one of the techs look at it since most of them are familiar with Hondas
. I did notice the clutch face on the pulley doesnt spin.

Last edited:
Back