Are Front-Wheel Drive and All-Season Tires Enough for Winter Driving?

KennyGS

How may I help?
Keystone State
August 2, 2011

Tires tested:
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studless Ice and Snow 205/55R16 91T)
  • What We Liked: Confidence-inspiring ice and snow traction
  • What We'd Improve: Clear road handling and tread noise
  • Conclusion: A tire that continues the Blizzak tradition of excellent winter traction
Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 (Standard Touring All-Season 205/55R16 91H)
  • What We Liked: Good dry and wet road traction
  • What We'd Improve: Snow and ice traction
  • Conclusion: Good for three seasons, but only fair in the fourth (winter)
Vehicles used:
2012 Honda Civic EX sedans
Many drivers living in the northern United States have already discovered a set of today's dedicated winter / snow tires increases their vehicles' wintertime capabilities enough to reduce their driving times, tension and stress. However, if you're among the skeptics who still question if the improvement in traction on hard-packed snow and ice is worth the expense, read on because we've got some test results that just might change your mind.
While Tire Rack's previous tests in snow and on ice have focused on the rear- and all-wheel drive vehicles in our test fleet, we felt it was time to test winter tire traction on a front-wheel drive vehicle. Since the 2012 Honda Civic represents the newest generation of one of the American market's most popular front-wheel drive compact cars, we selected the new Civic EX sedan as our test vehicle. The Civic EX sedan's front-wheel drive, automatic transmission, traction control, anti-lock braking system and vehicle stability assist combine the key vehicle features drivers want for wintertime driving on slippery roads.
The Civic EX sedan's Original Equipment fitment features 205/55R16-sized tires on 16" alloy wheels. However, since many drivers choose steel wheels for their Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Packages, we mounted all of the tires on 16"x6.5" steel wheels so any difference in weight between the Original Equipment alloy wheels and steel wheels wouldn't influence the results.
We chose the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 to represent the Studless Ice and Snow tire category and compared it to the Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 Standard Touring All-Season tires that have been used as Original Equipment on Honda Civic sedans and coupes.
In order to document how much traction these types of tires provide on hard-packed snow and ice, several members of the Tire Rack team conducted acceleration, braking and cornering tests with our local skating rink's glare ice replicating the slippery intersections often encountered during winter. While all of the tires started new with full tread depth, they had been driven over 100 miles on dry, clear roads to help break them in before being tested on the ice.

What We Learned on the Ice
Acceleration
Our comparison of how long it took to accelerate across the ice began with the test cars sitting stationary with their rear tires on the goal line. Allowing the vehicle's traction control to help the driver utilize the available tire grip, the drivers accelerated as fast as their tires would allow. We timed how long it took the car to cover the final 60-foot distance to the center of the ice rink.
Even with traction control, the all-season tires could be provoked into momentary wheelspin and performed best with steady driver input during their 6.0-second trip to the center of the rink. Using the same driving techniques, the Studless Ice and Snow tires benefited from their superior ice traction and activated the vehicle's traction control less. It only took them 4.5 seconds to complete a run, with their 1.5-second faster acceleration times representing about a 25% improvement.

Braking
Once you get your vehicle moving, being able to stop becomes just as important. So in a separate test we measured the distance it took the tires to bring the Civic to a complete stop from 12 mph (20 km/h). The car's speed was stabilized and the driver fully applied the brakes to engage the vehicle's four-wheel disc anti-lock braking system (ABS) until the vehicle came to a complete stop.
When equipped with all-season tires, the car's ABS engaged relatively easy and it took an average of 53.6-feet to stop the Civic. The Studless Ice and Snow tires provided more grip and actually squealed against the ice whenever the ABS activated. The Studless Ice and Snow tires brought the Civic to a stop in an average of 35.1-feet, representing a 34% improvement. Their 18.5-foot shorter stopping distance was over a car length improvement compared to the all-season tires.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
(Studless Ice and Snow) 4.508 sec. 35.1 ft.

Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02
(Standard Touring All-Season) 6.045 sec. 53.6 ft.

Cornering
To simulate turning at a slippery intersection, our team also drove each tire around a 90-degree right-hand corner marked by traffic cones that represented the outside edge of a driving lane.
The Studless Ice and Snow tires offered a secure feel and reached a cornering limit of 11 mph (18 km/h) as they completed the corner without hitting any of the cones.
However, when the car equipped with all-season tires attempted to go around the corner at the same speed, its all-season tires couldn't provide enough traction to prevent the car from running wide and hitting several of the cones. Even Honda's Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) could not restrain the vehicle when the driver entered the corner too fast for the conditions. Further testing showed the all-season tires could complete the corner without hitting any cones at 8 mph (13 km/h).

Conclusion
Based on our past experiences with rear-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles, the results of this front-wheel drive test weren't surprising. Regardless of how many, or which tires do the driving, we've repeatedly experienced that the right tires for the conditions will always improve vehicle performance.
Since all-season tires are designed to offer good traction in a wide variety of driving conditions, they end up being compromised by the laws of nature that prevent them from delivering excellent traction in slush, snow and on ice.
So if enhanced hard-packed snow and ice traction were some of the reasons you chose a front-wheel drive vehicle in the first place, Tire Rack suggests you consider a set of dedicated winter tires to fulfill its wintertime potential.
While all-season tires will get you there; winter tires will get you there easier.

Product Details
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studless Ice and Snow): The Blizzak WS70 is Bridgestone's Studless Ice and Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of coupes, sedans, minivans and crossover vehicles looking for traction on winter's slushy, snow-covered and icy roads. The Blizzak WS70 represents the fourth generation of Bridgestone WinterBiter tires designed to deliver wintertime traction and control that inspires driver confidence. Read more.

Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 (Standard Touring All-Season): The Turanza EL400-02 Standard Touring All-Season tires were developed to meet the Original Equipment needs of coupes, sedans and vans. Turanza EL400-02 tires are designed to provide good wear and responsive handling along with dry, wet and year-round traction, even in light snow. Read more.
honda-154-1.jpg

A set of winter / snow tires reduced
driving times and braking distances.
honda-154-2.jpg

All-season tires were more challenging
for the vehicle and driver.

There's a video of the test here > http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=154

great post. I actually just watched their tests a few days ago and was debating about posting it, or waiting till closer to winter.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing! After last winters craptastic driving escapades I'm going to spring for some winter tires this year. Actually a buddy has a set of blizzaks for $200 with only 3000 miles on them. ;)

I didn't mind skidding and slipping on the snowy road last winter season...lol.

My piece of advise:
If you buy Michelin X-Ice put them on late and take them off early. These tires are fantastic in the ice/snow and slush; However they HATE warm weather and bare roads. Think of driving on pencil erasers, they are almost too soft as they seem to disintegrate when used in temperatures above 7 degrees Celsius. I love them but i hate replacing them as they aren't cheap, if you are looking for a great deal at about the same price i usually recommend the Blizzak as its a little bit harder (especially the side wall) so people in general tend to get a longer life span out of them.

Better order soon. I had trouble getting any last year. They sell out quick in the North East. There is also a backorder on Blizzaks right now according to sears. Had my tires rotated last week and was talking to the guy about a set for the wife's car.

I run Dunlop graspics. Had to order online and get them shipped in.

:snow: just for saying that, you're going to get hammered

i have run one set of goodyear ultra grips on my own car(2006 acura csx) for this will be the 6 season have never gotten stuck we get lots of snow here and they are great on cold cold -40 plus days with the ice and frost. on dry pavement they are louder than all-seasons. i still have about 40% tread left have used them for around 65,000 kms so far.

i currently am also running a set of nokian wrg2 considered all season plus on the company car (2002 mazda protege) you might not of heard of the brand but they are based out of finland. by far the best all season tire i have ever had for both winter and summer. in winter these tires still give you lots of traction little to no slipping on ice and are fairly quiet on dry pavement. in the summer these are good on dry wet pavement lots of grip i guess my only down are these tires are the tread ware is fairly quick only last 100,000 kms

Back