Rear Sway Bar Bushing Upgrade

The reinforcement plates are necessary only for the Progress sway bars. Both 22mm and 24mm. Although, I am not sure how much thicker the mounting points are for the 9thgens compared to the 8ths. They could be the same or the 9ths might be thicker.

What are the plates you have mounted on the end likes? I intend to go with the 2014 rear sway bar since I have a 2012 si. Would I need that as well? Might sound like a dumb question since it's oem to oem. But I just wanted to see if my application could benefit from it. Thank you.

@jarvasdb1 you won't need those plates. They are for adding strength to the area where the end links attach to the car. You only need them if you install a 24mm Progress rear sway bar. Any of the stock applications don't need reinforcing.

If they are not needed, then why would they be included?

Hey Squiggy, so even if I run the stock 20MM 14 Si RSB you would still recommend it?

For stock, no. Only if you upgrade.

@squiggy why do you respond without reading what's been said first? I said "Any of the stock applications don't need reinforcing"
You're just confusing matters by asking why the end plates are included. They are only needed on the Progress 22mm and 24mm applications.
@jarvasdb1 was asking if he would need them for a stock 2014 sway bar which the answer in no.

Last edited:
@squiggy why do you respond without reading what's been said first? I said "Any of the stock applications don't need reinforcing"
You're just confusing matters by asking why the end links are included. They are only needed on the Progress 22mm and 24mm applications.
@jarvasdb1 was asking if he would need them for a stock 2014 sway bar which the answer in no.

D'oh! Forgive my lack of reading comprehension.

Today was my first day trying to kick a caffeine habit. i.e. none whatsoever whereas I would usually have inhaled two cans of Monster by the time I responded to the post.

D'oh! Forgive my lack of reading comprehension.

Today was my first day trying to kick a caffeine habit. i.e. none whatsoever whereas I would usually have inhaled two cans of Monster by the time I responded to the post.
Wow you're smart to kick that stuff. Its poison.
Good luck. Just keep thinking of how much better off you'll be with that junk. :tap:

Wow you're smart to kick that stuff. Its poison.
Good luck. Just keep thinking of how much better off you'll be with that junk. :tap:

Funny thing is that I didn't start drinking it for the caffeine...it tastes good and is calorie free. Of course, body chemistry decided to take a liking to the caffeine aspect.

Too much sugar in one can. I try to limit sugar consumption.

Still not as bad as a can of coke, but it is still pretty high.

Funny thing is that I didn't start drinking it for the caffeine...it tastes good and is calorie free. Of course, body chemistry decided to take a liking to the caffeine aspect.
I also had a thing for Monster drinks for the same reason during freshman and sophomore college. It was a terrible habit.

So what kind of no sugar and low calorie drink will make our cars more twitchy at the wheel? Buahahahahaha I used to be addicted to Code Red Mountain Dew. They ran out for a week and I went through crack head like withdrawals. I drank it for 7 years. I am proud to say I have been Code Red free since 2007-8 ish.

So I played around with doing the front sway bar bushings with the Moogs 21mm universal bushing. In the end, I stuck with the stock bushings.

It is a pain in the butt to get to the bolts, but do-able. The passenger side is easier than the drivers side as there is not much clearance around the bolts. The passenger side has some wire bundles routed above the bushing and the drivers side had the starter(I believe) right above the bushing. I didn't even try to take out the drivers side bushing but I did manage to loosen and tighten the bolts. The only tool that would work was the ratcheting wrench, but was still difficult. An angled/flexible ratcheting wrench would be best.

From the pictures below, the Moogs bushing is not tall enough, not wide enough and not "beefy" enough. As you can see from the pics the bottom half of the Moog bushing need to be 1-2mm taller, the whole bushings needs to be 2-3mm wider and frankly it just looks puny and not thick enough material surrounding the front sway bar area.

Not sure what I will do with the 21mm Moogs bushing now. Might return it and see if Moogs would be willing to make something that would work.

If someone wants to give them a shot instead of running the stock ones, let me know and I will send them to you.
Thanks for giving this a try and sharing your experience with all of us. I'm sure we would have a lot more people trying this and realizing it doesn't work if you didn't let us know. All the pictures are awesome as well!
I wonder if Moog will make something that will work?

Back