Official Gun Thread

25 minute video?

Cliff notes please?:)

I went to the shooting range two weeks ago at Sunset Hill in Henryville, PA. I loved shooting the Scar 17s and 44 magnum. I liked the 44 Desert Eagle. But not as much as the Magnum.

You can do both. But as a NJ resident, I rented. :giggle:

I went to the shooting range two weeks ago at Sunset Hill in Henryville, PA. I loved shooting the Scar 17s and 44 magnum. I liked the 44 Desert Eagle. But not as much as the Magnum.
The most fun is my .44 mag. Dan Wesson 9-inch barrel...... With a red dot sight.... Can hit a clay disc from 25 to 200 yards(only had to raise the aim one dot size at 200)....... Gave it to one of my Grand sons(a college grad).

Hey guys, I kinda know I'm rez posting here but just wanted another few opinions. I live in mass and finally got down to apply for my ltc recently. While I'm waiting for it to come back I'm trying to get an idea of what I'd like to get.

I'm on the fence of what I'd like to get first a hand gun or a rifle. My primary use will be for target shooting so something where ammo isn't too expensive. If it's a rifle it will be bolt action as I just enjoy the labor of having to work the bolt after each shot.

All input is welcome! Thanks in advance guys

Hey guys, I kinda know I'm rez posting here but just wanted another few opinions. I live in mass and finally got down to apply for my ltc recently. While I'm waiting for it to come back I'm trying to get an idea of what I'd like to get.

I'm on the fence of what I'd like to get first a hand gun or a rifle. My primary use will be for target shooting so something where ammo isn't too expensive. If it's a rifle it will be bolt action as I just enjoy the labor of having to work the bolt after each shot.

All input is welcome! Thanks in advance guys
A 22-250 caliper Ruger bolt, with a floating fluted barrel.

Whats LTC stand for?

Check all your laws cause NY, MA, NJ, PA, just the north east in general can be a pain for gun ownership. Even whats legal in MA might not be in NY. You live close to like 4 other states and each one might be different so be certain before you buy. Same with magazine limits and such.

Rifle ownership is way easier than pistols. Especially in the NE. If it's your first one, a 22 is plenty for targets and going to the range.

I bought my wife a Beretta ARX-160. It shoots 22LR. Very very easy to use and its pretty damn accurate out of the box. Hardly any recoil, but I suspect thats mostly due to the small caliber. It's not bolt action, semi-auto. Pain in the butt reloading every shot though. We burn through the 20 round mags pretty quick. Upgraded to 30s but mag size is definitely limited in the NE. Just something to consider.

The ARX is very light as its mostly polymer but it is a good size and easy to hold. Disassembly for cleaning is also really easy and its ambidextrous if you're not sure which way you want to shoot. You can change which side the casings eject from in about 30 seconds and the controls, safety/mag release, are on both sides.

It does take Beretta specific magazines and accessories but you can order them off their website or online pretty easily. There are a couple good tutorial vids on youtube as well. Ammo is around $10/100rounds. I usually get a box of Remington Golden for $30/525. Rimfire is pretty easy to find but it also has a lot less punch than centerfire. Still plenty to seriously injure/maim/kill and of course, put holes in paper targets.

For pistols I've shot a few 380s, 45, and 9mm at the range recently. The 380 seems overkill on every single one I've tried. Loud and lots of kick. The pistols were also all tiny conceal carry size so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I'm probably going to pick up a Taurus Curve. It's not the best pistol out there but for the $$ it checks a lot of the right boxes for me. I like the integrated laser/flashlight and the attached belt clip makes it very easy to walk around with. Its a 380 but for a small carry pistol it's more deterrent than anything. I don't expect to ever need to use it and I don't intend to carry either. Even though I can. Just a toy for the range and showing to other gun nuts.

1911 style pistols are all pretty nice. One guy has the Dan Wesson ECO .45 ACP 1911, which I really liked. He uses that as his C&C gun. It's great. Shoots perfect & feels awesome to hold. But, its like $1500 vs less than $300 for the Taurus. I'm not enough of an enthusiast to need something that fancy yet.

If you want to come for a visit later this year once our house is finished you're more than welcome. We can hit the range with a couple of my gun crazy friends down here and you can shoot all sorts of stuff. Way cheaper than buying a gun you hate. Plus, Dragon day trip! hahaha

License to carry so it works for hand guns and rifles and let's me carry concieled

Reactions: Nix
.22 isn't very useful if you can't find ammunition anywhere. A "shortage" has been going on for years. Try to find it any store.

5.56 if bought in bulk can be cheap, same for 9mm

handgun- I'd prob look at 9mm or 40cal. I'd say 22 if you could find ammo and you're just looking to shoot at targets.

Yeah I took a look at prices and 9mm seems the way to go

Back