Clutch Noise

I dropped my car off today and spoke to the Tech and he will not touch my car after he found out I had mods done to it.. He clams that an Aftermarket intake will cause engine failures and transmission probems.:confuzzled: and continued to tell me that Honda's can't handle performance modification's
:eek2:
So I just kindly asked for my keys back and will not return to that place

What a moron. It amazes me how many dealerships are either not aware of or outright ignore the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

I was completely suprised at what he told me. That I got a headache when I was talking to the guy.

That is what I am going to try when I get some time off from work. I am not the one to argue I just smile and just not go back. Unless they destroy something then I might get mad depending on the situation.

I dropped my car off today and spoke to the Tech and he will not touch my car after he found out I had mods done to it.. He clams that an Aftermarket intake will cause engine failures and transmission probems.:confuzzled: and continued to tell me that Honda's can't handle performance modification's
:eek2:
So I just kindly asked for my keys back and will not return to that place

That is nonsense. I get that they don't like the mods, but nothing you have done has any impact on your clutch in any way. In the future, I wouldn't mention your mods up front because you will likely get refusals like you just experienced. I also suggest calling Honda Corp of America and opening a claim with them; the dealerships become much more agreeable when you get corporate to breath down their necks.

That is nonsense. I get that they don't like the mods, but nothing you have done has any impact on your clutch in any way. In the future, I wouldn't mention your mods up front because you will likely get refusals like you just experienced. I also suggest calling Honda Corp of America and opening a claim with them; the dealerships become much more agreeable when you get corporate to breath down their necks.
I never said anything about any mods he drove my car and came back and mentioned I had a horrible exhaust leake. and I said it's not... He Started arguing with me and I bit my tongue and when he popped my hood he was like holy F+×÷ you modded this car...
And I said it's only a Intake and he kept trying to say it will destroy my transmission and engine...... He was trying to make me feel like a joke but a few guys there where like he is a Donkey.
But the funny thing he could not feel my exhaust leake lol (full-race DP catless and did not even notice so the joke was on him) as he kept telling me how much damage I have done to the car and how no honda can take performance mods I just asked for my keys to leave.

I never said anything about any mods he drove my car and came back and mentioned I had a horrible exhaust leake. and I said it's not... He Started arguing with me and I bit my tongue and when he popped my hood he was like holy F+×÷ you modded this car...
And I said it's only a Intake and he kept trying to say it will destroy my transmission and engine...... He was trying to make me feel like a joke but a few guys there where like he is a Donkey.
But the funny thing he could not feel my exhaust leake lol (full-race DP catless and did not even notice so the joke was on him) as he kept telling me how much damage I have done to the car and how no honda can take performance mods I just asked for my keys to leave.

I have had a lot of bad experiences with Honda dealership technicians. The fact that he drove it and did not notice it was cat-less is hilarious!! I hope you find a better dealership that will address your problems in a more respectable manner.

In all seriousness, call Honda Corporate, they were my best ally when my dealership tried to question the problems I was having. You should also call back to that dealership and speak to the service adviser; I like to believe that Honda runs a reputable business by selling and maintaining a reliable product - the gentleman you dealt with likely was too afraid for his job to work on your car even though you know more about your car than he does (clearly) and that is not okay for any business.

I had a lot of fun explaining to the Master Tech at my dealership how the systems in my car work and are subsequently malfunctioning before having my problems addressed. It's kind of cool, because now I hear from other people who go to that dealership with my same problem that they are knowledgeable of the subject, because I taught them and got them to access Honda Corporate's information on the issue that they had otherwise disbelieved even existed before I forced them to acknowledge my problem.

Don't give up; Honda will at least replace your clutch, and it is my belief and experience (thus far) that the Hasport rear engine mount replacement has a lot to do with this issue and will largely solve the problem if you do the replacement in conjunction with (or near to) the clutch replacement.

Ok, so it sounds like I'm having a similar issue to some of you. Clutch seems to be working just fine at the moment but while starting from a dead stop it is making a whirring/whining noise when the pedal is mid-way out (no other sounds when shifting through higher gears). My car is a 2012 Si and only has 45000km on it, and I had purchased extended warranty to 5yr/100000km but the dealership is saying it's wear and tear on my part and not covered. I suspect it may be the throw-out bearing? Regardless I have been given a quote to replace parts (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and flywheel) plus labour to the tune of $1687. They are being very dramatic and telling me my life is in peril (ok not exactly those words, but making it sound like my clutch is catastrophic) and insisting I should replace everything. But then other sources online say that many of them have gone on for plenty more miles with no issues aside from the annoying noise... what's a girl to do here? I dug up a TSB (SB-10-11) on what sounds like my issue but I'm doubting Honda Canada is going to give two hoots about that....

Last edited:
If you have a TSB you can bring in printed regarding your issue then there should be no issue about having it looked at. Call Honda directly and explain your situation. They will call the dealerships and tell them otherwise if Honda feels your being jerked around. Any fix on clutches though tend to be a one time free fix(or goodwill) as it is a wear and tear item but whats the point of an extended warranty if you wont even acknowledge it. If your the original owner then you should still be under the factory powertrain warranty and have no issues having your problem looked at if you/they can duplicate it and agree it's not normal. I would try calling Honda themselves and see if a little backup can't be had from them to aid you in your struggle. Don't give up and a little "crying" about it to Honda might help. Could also try different dealerships and see how the reactions differ. Some dealerships can be not worth going to. Also the "warranty" for a no questions asked clutch change due to an issue is normally 12mo/12kmiles(not sure km) after that they will "goodwill" it or a free one time replacement.

Side note...Customers that come through my shop at toyota have learned that if they put up a small stink or cry about the price or do something that shows they don't like the business. My company will bend over backwards and do whatever they can (within reason) to goodwill cars with 120k miles on parts they broke. Companies (most) don't wanna lose business but still may try to work you around so keep that foot down and insist it be looked at.

Good luck in trying to get it fixed.

Ok, so it sounds like I'm having a similar issue to some of you. Clutch seems to be working just fine at the moment but while starting from a dead stop it is making a whirring/whining noise when the pedal is mid-way out (no other sounds when shifting through higher gears). My car is a 2012 Si and only has 45000km on it, and I had purchased extended warranty to 5yr/100000km but the dealership is saying it's wear and tear on my part and not covered. I suspect it may be the throw-out bearing? Regardless I have been given a quote to replace parts (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and flywheel) plus labour to the tune of $1687. They are being very dramatic and telling me my life is in peril (ok not exactly those words, but making it sound like my clutch is catastrophic) and insisting I should replace everything. But then other sources online say that many of them have gone on for plenty more miles with no issues aside from the annoying noise... what's a girl to do here? I dug up a TSB (SB-10-11) on what sounds like my issue but I'm doubting Honda Canada is going to give two hoots about that....
@MissE I would call Honda Canada and speak to them especially since we know there is a TSB and this is a well know issue with the clutch. Don't let the dealership intimidate you. You should have the noise issue resolved under warranty.
Keep us posted!

Got off the phone with Honda Canada and they said the TSB is likely a US one and they don't know anything about it and can't find any info on it, but to go back to the service manager at my dealership if I really feel that something was defective rather than "wear and tear". I'm definitely getting the run around and am hella unimpressed. They have done all my service/maintenance and all my purchases/installs were done there to maintain my warranty (lip kit, HFP suspension, remote starter, etc) so it's not like I haven't been a very good customer to them over the years.

That's BS!
Both the US and Canadian cars are exactly the same. They are even made in the same place.
I can't believe that they are saying that they don't know anything about it. Everyone was having this issue and many people had their clutch replaced because of the noise. I even had the noise on my '12 but I didn't bother fixing it because I traded my car for the '14.
It's caused by the springs on the clutch plate getting loose.
I would be making a little more noise @MissE

That's how I felt too. I'll be making an appointment to talk to the service manager at our dealership and to sit down and actually discuss WHY I feel like this is a bunch of hooey. Like for example, the internet has hundreds of examples of others who have gone through it (enough for a TSB) and been fixed under warranty for many others as well. Also pointing out the fact that my previous car (RSX-S) have well over 100000km put on by me and not a single issue with the clutch, and that after 4 years even my original tires are still in great condition so it's not like I'm doing burnouts and driving like a maniac. The problem is that unless they actually tear everything apart and look at it, they will continue to try and blame it on my driving causing the clutch to burnout.

So yours was the loose springs in the clutch plate? I had read that for some it seemed like an issue with the throwout bearing, and others seem to be the loose springs.

I had a loose springs problem on my 2012 and it made the noise. It took leaving my car for two weeks with the dealer to diagnkse while I was in Norway for them to say it wasn't my fault. This was two years ago now.

Others of us in the US who are early 2012 owners have had replacements under "good will" because of our problems. But that has come at months of effort and often strained or broken relationships with the service folks.

Yeah, despite having purchased the extended warranty I know a new clutch wouldn't typically be covered. And if it wasn't a known issue and I really did feel like my driving was to blame then I wouldn't be so upset by this. But I'm pretty confident that's not the case and I know I'm likely going to need to be a huge pain in the *** to get to the bottom of it, which is unfortunate because up to now I feel like I've been a pretty good customer. My car has had some weird rattles and quirks pretty much from brand new, they've looked at it and not been able to correct some of these, and I've been ok with that as it didn't impact the function of the car at all. But this is a little different and when I was quoted $1687 before tax to fix it... well you can imagine the look on my face at that moment. I wasn't sure whether to swear or cry, ended up walking out and doing both.

That's how I felt too. I'll be making an appointment to talk to the service manager at our dealership and to sit down and actually discuss WHY I feel like this is a bunch of hooey. Like for example, the internet has hundreds of examples of others who have gone through it (enough for a TSB) and been fixed under warranty for many others as well. Also pointing out the fact that my previous car (RSX-S) have well over 100000km put on by me and not a single issue with the clutch, and that after 4 years even my original tires are still in great condition so it's not like I'm doing burnouts and driving like a maniac. The problem is that unless they actually tear everything apart and look at it, they will continue to try and blame it on my driving causing the clutch to burnout.

So yours was the loose springs in the clutch plate? I had read that for some it seemed like an issue with the throwout bearing, and others seem to be the loose springs.
I remember seeing a post where someone posted pictures of the loose springs after they had the clutch replaced.
I still can't believe that Honda is saying that the TSB only applies to American vehicles.
Don't give up without a huge fight @MissE :box:

So glad I found this forum and thread!

Hello all, it would appear I'm having the same problem with my '12 Si. Now you might say I'm a little late to the party but I have less than a year with my car as I bought it certified pre-owned last March if I'm not mistaken. Car has 75K miles on it. Before anything let me just lay down some quick background info, this is my first M/T (love driving it), took me about a week to "learn", about a month to get comfortable with it (uphill and whatnot). Now about 2-3 months ago this noise started happening when taking off from first gear its not something that happens all the time but it does seem to happen more uphill or when the car is riding a little heavier. Initially I thought I had damaged the clutch since it is the car I learned to drive in but seeing this post I really doubt that I would be what caused this grinding noise. Keep in mind I drive my car really careful always but I have done what you call some hard pulls or occasional downshift to speed up nothing that I think would damage the car, I mean its not like I'm racing or anything. Now the issue I'm having is that my car was not bought at a Honda dealership, it was bought at a Chevy dealership w/ a 2 year warranty which I believe includes drivetrain. Would Honda be responsible for addressing the noise? or should I take my car to the dealership where I bought it?? Seeing as how this is a common issue with 9th gens I feel it would be better if I took it to Honda but again the car was bought elsewhere. Please help any input will be greatly appreciated!

So glad I found this forum and thread!

Hello all, it would appear I'm having the same problem with my '12 Si. Now you might say I'm a little late to the party but I have less than a year with my car as I bought it certified pre-owned last March if I'm not mistaken. Car has 75K miles on it. Before anything let me just lay down some quick background info, this is my first M/T (love driving it), took me about a week to "learn", about a month to get comfortable with it (uphill and whatnot). Now about 2-3 months ago this noise started happening when taking off from first gear its not something that happens all the time but it does seem to happen more uphill or when the car is riding a little heavier. Initially I thought I had damaged the clutch since it is the car I learned to drive in but seeing this post I really doubt that I would be what caused this grinding noise. Keep in mind I drive my car really careful always but I have done what you call some hard pulls or occasional downshift to speed up nothing that I think would damage the car, I mean its not like I'm racing or anything. Now the issue I'm having is that my car was not bought at a Honda dealership, it was bought at a Chevy dealership w/ a 2 year warranty which I believe includes drivetrain. Would Honda be responsible for addressing the noise? or should I take my car to the dealership where I bought it?? Seeing as how this is a common issue with 9th gens I feel it would be better if I took it to Honda but again the car was bought elsewhere. Please help any input will be greatly appreciated!

Your warranty is probably only good with the company you bought the vehicle from. Contact the dealer and find out the details on your warranty. More than likely you'll have to go to them but track down the tsb to bring with and show them. I gotta access All-Data at work and try to print it so I can post it here for everyone.

So I'm at slightly over 13,000 miles on my 15 Si and have been hearing this honing type noise when trying to engage 1st from a dead stop. Happens pretty often than not. Noticed the noise about 2 weeks ago.

Looks like I will be making a stop at the local Honda dealer and calling a friend that is a tech there. I'll keep everyone informed.....

Back