Need help

kelvin9454

I'm kind of new to this, so my question is coilovers or lowering springs? I don't have the money right now for coilovr s but I really want to lower my car. Some people say lowering springs will damage your shocks and struts, other people say coilovers are better just because you can adjust the hight... I don't want to be adjusting the hight on my car, I just want it lowered... should I go ahead and get lowering springs or wait and save money for coilovers... please help... thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

They don't really damage the shocks/struts...They make the stock ones wear quicker. Eventually you will have to buy new shocks/struts, quicker then without. I got my D2's (Springs) for pretty cheap. I don't care about adjusting the height of my car after it is lowered. So I am probably staying springs. If I do decide to go to coil overs then it wasn't that big of a deal anyhow. Like I said, the springs were farely cheap. Plus i'm going to get the look I prefer. Also, I could always upgrade the struts/shocks to better ones after these wear anyhow. :)

Not sure why you posted this in the website error section? Moved to suspension forum.

They don't really damage the shocks/struts...They make the stock ones wear quicker. Eventually you will have to buy new shocks/struts, quicker then without. I got my D2's (Springs) for pretty cheap. I don't care about adjusting the height of my car after it is lowered. So I am probably staying springs. If I do decide to go to coil overs then it wasn't that big of a deal anyhow. Like I said, the springs were farely cheap. Plus i'm going to get the look I prefer. Also, I could always upgrade the struts/shocks to better ones after these wear anyhow. :)
Great answer! Thanks for the help

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I went with springs because i didn't put the seasons into consideration...Once i decide to commit to coilovers I'm going to get them because NY winters aren't nice to us and i'd like my car to not be a snow plow like this past winter

I went with springs because i didn't put the seasons into consideration...Once i decide to commit to coilovers I'm going to get them because NY winters aren't nice to us and i'd like my car to not be a snow plow like this past winter
I'm glad here in Virginia where I am we don't get much. I can understand why you would want adjustable height in NY though.

I'm glad here in Virginia where I am we don't get much. I can understand why you would want adjustable height in NY though.

So jealous of you guys that live in the warmer states....its not even the snow that annoys me, its the SALT...SO MUCH SALT :barf:

On a side note, coilovers usually dont fare well in harsh winter / salty environment. The height adjustment tend to seize... Most people i know who run them over here either swap back oem suspension or just storage their cars for winter months.

On a side note, coilovers usually dont fare well in harsh winter / salty environment. The height adjustment tend to seize... Most people i know who run them over here either swap back oem suspension or just storage their cars for winter months.

Those sleeves don't protect the adjustment portion of the coilover that well?

Exactly what @Asgaard said. I've dealt with plenty of coilovers/springs/winters. Lube all you want but there's still the possibility of the locks getting stuck. Springs seem more logical for the northeast (MA resident)

Agreed. As an ex-upstate NY'er, I highly recommend a spring/strut combo over coil overs. The winter will eat the coils alive.

That said, I ran a nearly 2" drop and never had any issues getting around in heavy snow. I did run dedicated snow tires from October to May. Makes all the difference. Rarely would the snow be so deep that I could not get around. There would have to be more than 8" before I had an issue. At that point, the plows most likely will have been out at least once.

Agreed. As an ex-upstate NY'er, I highly recommend a spring/strut combo over coil overs. The winter will eat the coils alive.

That said, I ran a nearly 2" drop and never had any issues getting around in the heavy snow. I did run dedicated snow tires from October to May. Makes all the difference. Rarely would the snow be so deep that I could not get around. There would have to be more than 8" before I had an issue. At that point, the plows most likely will have been out at least once.
I've never had an issue getting around in the winter. As long as you have a good set of snows.
I live in the city so the snow plows are always out when it snows.
If it gets too bad I just wait it out for awhile and go out once the snow gets cleaned up.
The other difference between springs and coil overs is that you get damper adjustment on the better brands of coil overs. With springs, you don't have any adjustment at all.
To some people, that would be beneficial.

a friend is selling me his bc coils, he has an si but i have an ex. putting those coils on mine should be totally fine right? he's had them on his car for about 4 months

a friend is selling me his bc coils, he has an si but i have an ex. putting those coils on mine should be totally fine right? he's had them on his car for about 4 months
It depends on the year of his car. 2012-2013 si will work. If he has a 14+ si they will not work on yours.

Back