Engine won't start

Loppysaurusrex

I'm guessing it's the battery, lights come on fine and the interior is fine but when I turn the key the engine won't start and the dashboard has a seizure.

Any tutorials you guys can point me to for swapping these batteries out?

Is it rolling over or does it just click when you try to start it? if it rolling over its not the battery. If it's clicking when you try to start it, I would either try charging it or jump it and take it to a parts store, most of the bigger chains have free battery testing and would replace it for you.

Great so I tried to pull it out of the garage by pushing it and I went to angle the wheels so I could get a rolling start and now my steering wheel is jammed

Great so I tried to pull it out of the garage by pushing it and I went to angle the wheels so I could get a rolling start and now my steering wheel is jammed
Put the key in the ignition and turn it one or two clicks forward (I can't remember). Then pull on the wheel harder in either direction and it will release. It just takes some force for it to release.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it one or two clicks forward (I can't remember). Then pull on the wheel harder in either direction and it will release. It just takes some force for it to release.
Yea that worked can't get a decent rolling start though. Supposedly my battery is newish but I'm not sure

I would also check the terminal connections to make sure they are tight. Sometimes a loose connection will let enough power through to work the lights but not start the engine.

I would also check the terminal connections to make sure they are tight. Sometimes a loose connection will let enough power through to work the lights but not start the engine.
It was tight, and well, there's only 1 terminal, the negative terminal is on the left side of the engine bay (facing the front)

Can you get a jump from someone? Or do you have the ability to get a ride to an auto store? Take the battery out and take it with you. They'll test it for free.

Can you get a jump from someone? Or do you have the ability to get a ride to an auto store? Take the battery out and take it with you. They'll test it for free.
I'm waiting for my neighbor to get back, tbh I don't know how to take the battery out and I'm afraid of frying something if I just start going at it.

Did you take it out or just get it jumped or?
Replaced it, was a pain *** for the J hooks since I didn't have any deep sockets, used a torque wrench to tighten up the terminals... Not sure if too tight I kept going until the nuts stopped turning without significant force

Good thing it was an easy fix. Sad to see a battery fail in just a few years but I guess it depends on a lot of different factors.

Bmw trunk battery are still not as bad as Chrysler sebring/concord batteries...

Back