Add Extension to Torque Wrench

Danny Hsu

If I add an extension between the socket and the torque wrench, does that mess with the torque?

I'm curious because having the extra length would make torquing low offset wheels much easier.

I don't believe as the torque wrench is set to a specific torque to *click. Your just increasing your leverage which just gives you the ability to torque it more than the standard length with equal strength...if that makes sense.

Well now re reading your post the answer is yes but very minimal if you use a 3" or less that I wouldn't even worry about. The extension can twist and give false torque the longer the extensions is. Sorry, thought you meant on the handle

I don't believe as the torque wrench is set to a specific torque to *click.asing your leverage which just gives you the ability to torque it more than the standard length with equal strength...if that makes sense.

Click? You and your fancy torque wrench.

Well now re reading your post the answer is yes but very minimal if you use a 3" or less that I wouldn't even worry about. The extension can twist and give false torque the longer the extensions is. Sorry, thought you meant on the handle
Ahh ok, yeah I mean't like extending the socket because my socket isn't deep enough I guess, so when I go to tighten lugs, the wrench handle hits the outer lip of the wheel.

A small extension to get deeper into your wheel isn't going to alter the torque wrench much at all.

Another option is a deep well socket........... I use one because I needed a thin walled deep well for my wheels.

A straight extension from the wrench to the socket will not affect the torque reading at all on a manual torque wrench. The extension may twist but the same torque is delivered to the bolt/nut.

An offset adapter will affect the torque reading if it is placed at any angle other than 90deg as it will change the length of the torque wrench. You place it at 90 deg and the length stays the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back