12 inch Subwoofer vs battery

Loppysaurusrex

Anyone have any experience with this? It's obvious a sub will put strain on your battery but the question is how much?

I typically turn off music when I shut my engine off as well

in reality it's the aftermarket amp that will determine how much your headlights will dim or whatever. Plenty of people are running aftermarket audio systems here

You are not going to have any problems running the stock battery as long as the car is running. You are going to kill the battery life if you run the sub with the car off. How long you can ruun it depends on the quality of your amp but I promise you, you are not going to use a lot of gas just letting the car sit at idle. I was stuck in deep snow for over 7 hours running the engine and heater in a FJ and the needle didnt even move a 1/8 mark

You are not going to have any problems running the stock battery as long as the car is running. You are going to kill the battery life if you run the sub with the car off. How long you can ruun it depends on the quality of your amp but I promise you, you are not going to use a lot of gas just letting the car sit at idle. I was stuck in deep snow for over 7 hours running the engine and heater in a FJ and the needle didnt even move a 1/8 mark
It's not that I want to listen a lot after I stop it's just that I'm conscious of my resources and tend to be conservative when it comes to gas and battery.

Either way it's good news that it won't annihilate my battery.

I was concerned because my brother has a competition level subwoofer and his battery has died multiple times, but he used it while the engine was off sooooo.

Be specific on what kind of amp you are running and someone who knows more will let u know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running a kappa one and have no problems. 800w rms and an alpine type r and have had no problems. I don't play it very loud though. I'm kind of new to running my own audio and I have had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never went through this idea but it wont be hard at all.
Install a second battery in the trunk... I forgot whats its called but when the car is off the switch disconnects the two batteries, but with the car running both batteries are connected and both will be charged.
So with that in place, wire the amp to the second battery, and and use a fuse tap to send power from the second battery to the fuse for the radio. So now the radio is also on the second battery. Now if yor second battery ever goes dead from listening to music, you can still start your car with the primary battery.

I never went through this idea but it wont be hard at all.
Install a second battery in the trunk... I forgot whats its called but when the car is off the switch disconnects the two batteries, but with the car running both batteries are connected and both will be charged.
So with that in place, wire the amp to the second battery, and and use a fuse tap to send power from the second battery to the fuse for the radio. So now the radio is also on the second battery. Now if yor second battery ever goes dead from listening to music, you can still start your car with the primary battery.
Is that something people do for when the engine is off? because I typically turn off my music when the engine goes off

No I haven't seen it done, it's just the way my mind thinks. I have seen purple run 2 batteries without a cutoff switch and have seen both batteries die when they listen with the car off. it's just a safely measure i thought of. Is your car a stick? You can always push start a stick if the battery ever goes dead.

No I haven't seen it done, it's just the way my mind thinks. I have seen purple run 2 batteries without a cutoff switch and have seen both batteries die when they listen with the car off. it's just a safely measure i thought of. Is your car a stick? You can always push start a stick if the battery ever goes dead.
It's an si so yes, but I don't use power requiring systems when the engine is off

Back