transmission and brake fluid flush

Tak

New York City
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan (FB2)
Hi guys

I just stopped by Honda services center for an oil change. However, the guy said that I also need the transmission and brake fluid flush soon as my car's miles is just over 30k. I didn't do it as I wanna find more information before dropping $ for nothing.

Is it really RECOMMENDED changing transmission and brake fluid just over 30K? It seems so low to me.

Thanks

That sounds about right. Did you check your OM?

I would change the trans fluid, especially given where you live. I change mine every 15,000 but that's overkill and I'm trying to keep my auto trans alive as long as possible.

The brake fluid is debatable. It is recommended, but probably not necessary at 30,000. It's easy enough to do yourself in an hour so I just do it.

The brake fluid should be changed every year, or two at the most, it's a cheap price for the results. I change my trans fluid every 15000.

Just do a drain and fill with your transmission. Buy 3qts of fluid from Honda. It'll run you about $30 and get a new crush washer. It's very very easy to do yourself. Seriously 15min job.

I change my brake fluid every 2 years and my transmission fluid every 30k.

The manual transmission on a honda is pretty easy to drain and change. The plug is on the driver side and you use the upper to fill the transmission, the lower to drain. I use a rubber hose connected to a funnel to get the oil in the hole until it won't take anymore fluid.

Bleeding the brakes is a 2 person job unless you have a quick bleeder, but always helps to have someone refilling the reservoir.

I can see possibly the brake fluid since this would require special tools or a second set of hands, if you had a buddy that would help you out and you can learn something by doing it hands on
as far as the transmission service you are better off doing this yourself. Extremely easy just drain and refill with the proper amount of fluid and yes replace the Crush Washer.
It's pretty simple

If you can change oil you can change the transmission fluid. Buy 3 quarts of honda atf and drain the fluid, no oil filter to change. fill with transmission fluid, start the car and add more fluid until it says full. wifeys car took 3 quarts. Do not buy off the shelf fluid, stick with Honda OEM

Brake fluid is suppose to be changed every 2 years because it absorbs moisture in the air and you do not want that water in your lines. Easy way to do it is to gravity bleed the system. If you have a Harbor Junk... I mean Harbor Freight near by they have a $5 bleed kit. Stick the fitting on the bleeder screw and just crack the bleeder open. Let the fluid drain out for like 15-30 minuets, close it and move to the next one. Check and fill the reservoir before moving the next caliper. start from the furthest from drivers door and move towards it.

Back