Vordoven Wheels

PainlessCandy

Cleveland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Hey all! Looking for some help. I know you get what you pay for when it comes to wheels, and with my BBK on the horizon I am looking at new wheels. I really love these Vordoven Forme 9's, which are clearly knockoffs of Work Emotion CR "Kiwami" wheels. Trouble is, they are retailing for about the same price, I can't find any specifically bad reviews on any Vordovens, and the Work wheels don't come in the color I want (the Vordovens do). Has anyone had any experience with their wheels?

Also, I'm curious about fitment issues you guys with wide wheels might be having. These will likely be 18x9.5 or 18x10.5. Aside from the fenders, will I have issues hitting my HFP suspension up front? Would coilovers help keep things in place, or provide better fitment? Hard driving will be had.

Thanks for any advice!!

http://www.vordoven.com/collections/forme-9-series

Hey all! Looking for some help. I know you get what you pay for when it comes to wheels, and with my BBK on the horizon I am looking at new wheels. I really love these Vordoven Forme 9's, which are clearly knockoffs of Work Emotion CR "Kiwami" wheels. Trouble is, they are retailing for about the same price, I can't find any specifically bad reviews on any Vordovens, and the Work wheels don't come in the color I want (the Vordovens do). Has anyone had any experience with their wheels?

Also, I'm curious about fitment issues you guys with wide wheels might be having. These will likely be 18x9.5 or 18x10.5. Aside from the fenders, will I have issues hitting my HFP suspension up front? Would coilovers help keep things in place, or provide better fitment? Hard driving will be had.

Thanks for any advice!!
http://www.vordoven.com/collections/forme-9-series

You sure about that?

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=WORK-CR-KW

Go down to size 18" and check the prize for each wheel. 9 width wheel on a Civic will rub unless you plan on getting rubber band tires. I would suggest 9" with 35 offset and 245/40 tires with rolled fenders you should be fine. I have Rpf1 which everyone has:rolleyes: If you like Vordoven wheels then get them, but they are knock offs. You can always find a good deal on used set of Work or Volk wheels on facebook.

I would stick with HFP suspension, it's way better than most coilovers on the market.

Thank you for the correction; prices make a lot more sense now. The site I had initially priced the Work wheels on must not have adjusted the price for the larger wheel sizes.

Tires are an important part of the fitment; I'm looking to run spec size tires and not try to stretch something tiny on those wheels, 255/35 would be ideal on that width. Would it be more possible to run the 18x9.5 with spacers? I am having custom fenders done, so pushing the stance out is not an issue (within reason).

I guess the next question is whether or not it is feasible to get the Work wheels and have them custom colored without breaking the bank. I'm all for spending the money on good wheels, and those cost about as much as I'm willing to spend. If I'm gonna drop $2k on wheels, I'd like them to be the color I want, lol.

My only issue with the HFP suspension is the lack of drop. I'd really like to be another inch lower, especially if I'm doing big, fancy wheels, but I'm sure that makes fitment even more of an issue. I also wonder how the HFP suspension compares to coilovers in ride quality, specifically on the track. The HFP setup is great for the street, but leaves a lot of body roll and bounciness on the table when I'm taking corners hard. If you were to suggest a comparable quality racing coilover, what would it be? I have a good idea of brand values, but it's been more than a year since I was researching suspension options.

Last question (that I think I know the answer to, but am not sure): Does running a little camber up front (like -1 max) greatly effect handling in our cars? I am very hesitant to camber the front of a FWD car, but it does help open up fitment possibilities.

Last edited:
what do you mean when you say you're having custom fenders done? Like fender flares?

301V0545_zpsnugym0sz.jpg

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/albertos-modest-civic-build.11689/page-5#post-376450
^ he has some in his build thread

Yes, I'm having them custom flared. It will look something like that, but without the rivets/screws. The rivets really turn me off, lol.

you need to love fig newtons more. No one will probably be able to give you offset/width info without having a clue as to how the flares will be.

Good to know. And thanks for the link, his build thread helped answer a couple of my questions.

Coming back to this, I'd like to approach it from a different angle. Since I am doing custom fender work, I plan on fitting the fenders to the size wheels I decide on in the end. So my primary concern is hitting the strut/spring on the inside, or hitting the inside of the wheel well when taking corners hard or having the wheel turned all the way to one side. I have collected conflicting reviews, some saying that they are running 9"-10" wide wheels with no issues on coilovers, and others being very close to or hitting the strut at 9" wide. I've decided I will upgrade my suspension to coilovers in order to get the drop and responsiveness that I have wanted, but will keep my HFP suspension as a back up (I doubt I could sell it with 50k miles wear anyways). After looking at a number of options, I have noted that the whole strut tower and spring assembly is much wider on the stock and HFP suspensions than on most coilovers. Can anyone confirm this for me? @AlienPrime and @Safe Gabe , I have been looking through your threads and would appreciate any insight you have. Currently eyeing 18x9.5 +20 (or 10.5 if I can make it fit) with 255/30, also considered 19x10 +10 with 275/30 (I realize that last one is a bit big of a tire, but I want to make sure the biggest possible size I might want will fit in case I decide to switch up my wheels down the road.) Spacers are an option, though I'd like to avoid them if possible.

Also, I just want to make sure I am understanding wheel offset correctly. I notice most people with aftermarket rims are running a large offset, like +35; a lower offset would take the wheel further from the suspension, correct (the same wheel with a +10 offset would sit further away from the engine)?

Lastly, on coilovers: In educating myself I have come to realize that coilovers are rebuilt and not replaced like standard struts. How long are you guys going before having to rebuild? Cleveland's roads are anything but easy on my suspension, but I have gotten used to being very careful after 3 bent wheels, 2 blown tires, and many, many alignments. I also see a number of people having issues with "clunking" which I suspect is the axle giving out due to poor angling on these slammed rides (I'm not going to slam mine, only ~2" drop total). Is anyone who is running coilovers at a normal height having these issues? The last thing I want to do is put undue stress on drive train parts due to poor suspension angles.

Sorry for cramming so many questions into one post!

If the offset is low enough and you're running the right tire, PLUS a very minimal amount of camber, it probably could fit. With my 255's on my 17x9 +35, I was with millimeters of the coilover (not strut like you'll be on). You'll be on 18-19's, so it will be different and you will be compromising your ride height along with your daily drivability, particularly with 19's given the sidewalls. When I was daily driving my Civic, I had to rebuild the rears after about 14,000 and then the fronts soon followed at 18,000 after install. Mind you, this is daily driving plus 1-2 track days a month and I live in San Francisco, so the roads aren't anywhere near great either. My car isn't slammed by most 9thcivic people's standards.

If I were you, I would get your suspension first prior to your wheels as it would allow you more selection due to adjustability. As for your wheel selection — I've never heard of them. If it were me, I would opt for the Works as you'll have a name you can trust and a very responsive customer service experience. I've worked with them before when figuring out a wheel setup for my EF, and they were very helpful.

If the offset is low enough and you're running the right tire, PLUS a very minimal amount of camber, it probably could fit. With my 255's on my 17x9 +35, I was with millimeters of the coilover (not strut like you'll be on). You'll be on 18-19's, so it will be different and you will be compromising your ride height along with your daily drivability, particularly with 19's given the sidewalls. When I was daily driving my Civic, I had to rebuild the rears after about 14,000 and then the fronts soon followed at 18,000 after install. Mind you, this is daily driving plus 1-2 track days a month and I live in San Francisco, so the roads aren't anywhere near great either. My car isn't slammed by most 9thcivic people's standards.

If I were you, I would get your suspension first prior to your wheels as it would allow you more selection due to adjustability. As for your wheel selection — I've never heard of them. If it were me, I would opt for the Works as you'll have a name you can trust and a very responsive customer service experience. I've worked with them before when figuring out a wheel setup for my EF, and they were very helpful.

I plan on this being my new summer set, running Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the given size. I currently have them on my HPD wheels, which are 18x7.5 +35 225/40, and from having them I know they tend to run wider than the listed size. I'm willing to camber the front up to -1, from what I've read anything above that hinders performance and safety at high speeds.
I am planning on getting the suspension first, probably in the spring as soon as the weather breaks; doing it the other way around seems silly to me as wheels come in all sizes but I only have a few coilover options. As for wheels, I will be spending money on the real thing, it's just a matter of deciding between a few styles I have selected. Maybe after I will get them powder coated or something. Here's one that I keep coming back to just for fun: http://www.kamispeed.com/GramLights-57XTREME-Wheel-by-Rays-Ltd-p/ray.57xtreme.htm

you'll have a hard time fitting those wheels without stretching the tires too much. If the offset is too high, you'll be hitting inner struts unfortunately...

What's the biggest you were able to run? I remember webby linking to one of your threads saying you had 6mm of clearance to the strut, but I can't find it again for some reason. Did you ever run spacers, and do you think they would be an applicable solution should I need an extra 3-5mm?

Thanks for the information guys!! Much appreciated :thumbsup:

I'm willing to camber the front up to -1, from what I've read anything above that hinders performance and safety at high speeds.

I'm not sure where you're reading that. Our cars greatly benefit from negative camber. I run -2.5* all the way around on mine, and am going for a lower offset up front in my next setup to dial in more because of some goals I've set for myself with the motor in stock form.

Biggest I've run is 255 up front. This picture is of a 255 up front with 17x9, +35et RPF1. At the time, the alignment was -2.0* all the way around. The fender had to be rolled and some of the liner cut. You will not be able to fit that 19x10 unless you really, really make body modifications, and even then, performance will be hindered. Looks is up to you.

26515223432_4ba4129c3a_c.jpg

Almost forgot! @webby Here is a pic of the closest thing I have found to what I want my car to be like in the end. So hard to find examples of flares on my model.

13533247_1206578659373577_3589290909010670425_n.jpg

I'm not sure where you're reading that. Our cars greatly benefit from negative camber. I run -2.5* all the way around on mine, and am going for a lower offset up front in my next setup to dial in more because of some goals I've set for myself with the motor in stock form.

Perhaps my value is a bit low; that's good to know, more camber means more fitment options. Thank you for the advice and picture, I guess the 19's are but a dream unless I move to Hawaii or Oregon. The 255's, on the other hand, look great and will likely be my end tire width. I wish I could see a 265 or 275 for comparison, but I haven't found anyone running them.

Perhaps my value is a bit low; that's good to know, more camber means more fitment options. Thank you for the advice and picture, I guess the 19's are but a dream. The 255's, on the other hand, look great and will likely be my end tire width. I wish I could see a 265 or 275 for comparison, but I haven't found anyone running them.

More camber is more of a performance thing, but it does open up how low of an offset you can run on your car. My plan is to jump to something like a 25~20et up front. 255 is a pretty big tire depending on what tire you run. I'm running 255 because its a common setup for staggered fitment, modern Hondas, and it's also the max tire I can run for the group I am working my way up in.

More camber is more of a performance thing, but it does open up how low of an offset you can run on your car. My plan is to jump to something like a 25~20et up front. 255 is a pretty big tire depending on what tire you run. I'm running 255 because its a common setup for staggered fitment, modern Hondas, and it's also the max tire I can run for the group I am working my way up in.

I've also thought about doing a staggered setup, but haven't researched it much. Any advice on that topic? Any downsides (will I go through tires faster, etc)?

Last edited:
Back