3M tape cure time

Tak

New York City
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan (FB2)
Hello guys,

I'm arranging this weekend to install the side skirts myself. Part of the installation is to put the 3m tape.
Do you know how many days the 3m tape is fully cured? Is 2 full sunny day with regular driving enough?

Reason is that the weather of coming weekend in NYC is nice. However, the weather next week is raining almost daily. I don't want the 3m tape being wet and then become loose.

BTW, I do have the adhesion promoter and will apply it during the installation.

Thanks

from 3m
=================
Immediately after an application is made, about 60% of the bond strength is achieved. As the adhesive continues to wet-out the surface, you can expect the bond to be at about 75% - 80% after 24 hours. After 72 hours, 95%+ of the bond strength is achieved. The bond will continue to build with time.

I find that prep is the number one priority when applying 3M tape, if done correctly water is not going to get between the tape and surface. After applying, go over the part with "hard" direct pressure inch by inch, and the help of a hair blower on hot and slow.

Get a good cleaner for the surface before the adhesion promoter. Usually a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol is perfect.

Reactions: Tak
from 3m
=================
Immediately after an application is made, about 60% of the bond strength is achieved. As the adhesive continues to wet-out the surface, you can expect the bond to be at about 75% - 80% after 24 hours. After 72 hours, 95%+ of the bond strength is achieved. The bond will continue to build with time.

I find that prep is the number one priority when applying 3M tape, if done correctly water is not going to get between the tape and surface. After applying, go over the part with "hard" direct pressure inch by inch, and the help of a hair blower on hot and slow.

@webby @Monk
Yes, I read about this as well. But NYC weather is now, every 2 days, it rains a bit. And summer is about to end. I want to finish this project asap.

But I am worried about the water getting thru the tape when the 3m tape is not fully stick. My best bet now is to do it Thursday afternoon, then I will have 2 full days until Saturday night. There will be shower Saturday night though. You can see the weather forecast below.

Get a good cleaner for the surface before the adhesion promoter. Usually a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol is perfect.
@Nix
What cleaner do you recommend? I only have regular car wash stuffs and Windex LOL. I do have rubbing alcohol 70%. Is it good?

weathernyc.jpg

Reactions: Nix
Rubbing alcohol is fine. If you're that worried about water, get some cheap plastic sheeting from the paint area at lowes/Home Depot. Tape some plastic over the upper part to keep it dry.

I do have rubbing alcohol 70%. Is it good?

Yeah, thats fine. Just put some on a cloth and rub the areas where you're going to be sticking the tape and the adhesion promoter. Make sure it dries but that stuff just helps to take off any last residue, oils, dirt, etc...

Legit 3M Tape ain't coming off. Just apply some pressure and it's done. I tried removing this duckbill spoiler the other day and it almost broke before peeling.

Back