Official Gun Thread

Well I don't have smaller hands. I will definitely test some different handguns to see how I like them. I think handgun wise I've only shot the .22 and 38 revolver.

I want to shoot a 9mm since I know a good bit of people that have them.
well revolver handles are shaped in such a way that they're usually more comfortable to hold even if you hands aren't small. It's different when you have ....say a larger caliber double stacked magazine in the handle of a gun. The grip is much larger in circumference, and they're not shaped like a revolver handle obviously. It's just different.

I've owned and shot mostly revolvers most of my life, but lately I got on a Semi-auto pistol kick.I like revolvers best as far as control and accuracy. My revolvers are Rugers and are .357 mag. ammo.
The pistols are Glock .40 cal....... A Ruger .45 cal....... Two 1911"s(this is no longer a name brand but a style/model) They are .45 cal. as well.
I know I'm going to get flack but I don't want any cal. under a .357 mag........ There are a lot of professional forces that use 9 MM and do well with them, so my opinion is what makes me happy.
I carry a 5 shot revolver with no exposed hammer and no safety(like most revolvers), so the only way to control the weapon from going off when not wanting it to, is to keep it in a holster that covers the the trigger and when handling it keep my finger out of the trigger housing.
Revolvers are considered more accurate and less complicated but in most cases only hold 6 rounds. Where auto's are thinner for carrying, and can present malfunctions when using, so a good name brand in most cases will cut down on malfunctions. Also having a match barrel helps the auto's as well.
So far I'm liking my 1911 (PARA Black ops.) it's heavy which helps me control fire it, where lighter hand guns are suited for carry, but not so much for fire control, so try to hold and dry fire as many as you can to find one that suits you.

Anyone got a small carry pistol recommendation? I don't need a cannon and to be honest, I'm not a big dude. Smaller is better but I'd like something that is easy to hold. I've shot a couple .380s recently and dang! I haven't got big hands but I felt like it was hard to hold and control. I'm a super noob at shooting so the easier to use the better. Ideally I'd like something I can take to an indoor range and practice a lot. I don't ever intend to carry even though I can. I'd just like something I could carry and to become proficient with it before I would even consider doing so. I've really enjoyed all the target shooting we've done so far and I'd like to find a pistol or two that we could add in. I'm open to all suggestions even if they wouldn't be ideal for CC.

Thanks!

Anyone got a small carry pistol recommendation? I don't need a cannon and to be honest, I'm not a big dude. Smaller is better but I'd like something that is easy to hold. I've shot a couple .380s recently and dang! I haven't got big hands but I felt like it was hard to hold and control. I'm a super noob at shooting so the easier to use the better. Ideally I'd like something I can take to an indoor range and practice a lot. I don't ever intend to carry even though I can. I'd just like something I could carry and to become proficient with it before I would even consider doing so. I've really enjoyed all the target shooting we've done so far and I'd like to find a pistol or two that we could add in. I'm open to all suggestions even if they wouldn't be ideal for CC.

Thanks!

most 380s are small in size, so it makes them harder to get a good grip. They also usually light, so it makes the recoil worse than something that has more mass to it.
They make the springfield xd in countless variations of barrel length, so there are smaller versions than what I've linked, but there are also much larger versions. This is a better feel in the hand (imo), and still offers the ability to easily conceal. It has 2 different magazine lengths as well, so if your pinky finger is hanging off the bottom of the gun (a lot of conceal guns are like this) it makes them "harder" to shoot. The xd offers an extended mag that lets you get your full hand on the gun at the expense of the gun being slightly larger. Any gun shop should have them that you can hold and compare where the bottom of your hand falls off the gun. Compare them.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-sub-compact-9mm/

the shield is a very popular one, and it fires nicely for a small package as well. I think either of these two would be great starting points, and any shop would have them available to look at and hold.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...80153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Reactions: Nix

Thanks!
Go down to your gun store and hold them to see which you like but my recommendation is the s&w m&p shield. My buddy carries one every day chambered in .40 I've shot it and it's a nice gun. My buddy is a tall lanky sob that weighs next to nothing so he may be similar to you nix.

By the way I have a full size m&p in 9mm and I love it so i can say in my humle opinion s&w is a decent make

@Nix I agree to some of the chooses ............ but the main thing is to try holding as many as possible.
Some things to look for, are hand fit and how easy is it to work each button/lever, etc. that you need to make it do all the things it takes to use. Being small, Sometimes racking a round by hand comes into play(easy/not easy). Locking the gun in the open position, take the safety on or off. How positive /and easy it is to lock the mag. in place, and to release it.
Don't be in a rush at the store, or to ask questions if they seem to know the answers.
Glad you're thinking of getting a safety devise.

After you find a few you like, go home and look up reviews on the ones you liked to see if there's anything else that you need to know about them.

Like @Monk said get hands on with as much as possible. I knew the people at my shop pretty well before I got in to guns (back from the paintball days and my mom had one of the sons in school) so I just asked what I should get. I wanted 9mm because ammo is cheap and he took everything fitting that out of the case and told me to hold everything, rack it, dry fire it to see how I liked the trigger pulls ect.

I'd prob stick to a 9mm as well. Ammo is readily available everywhere and it's on the cheaper side. So if you plan to shoot a lot, it will add up. Prices have really gone up a lot in the last 3 or 4yrs.

I'd prob stick to a 9mm as well. Ammo is readily available everywhere and it's on the cheaper side. So if you plan to shoot a lot, it will add up. Prices have really gone up a lot in the last 3 or 4yrs.
I get a 50 box at wally world for $10

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Should have bought a pallet for that price.

Pallet of ammunition

1006662_02_ammo_cans_by_the_pallet__640.jpg

military-soldier.gif

Last few times my buddy bought 9 he paid like $17 or $18/box. I haven't seen $10/box pricing in a LOOOOOONG time.

Lol it is aluminum casing fmj but whatever for that price. I'll have to snap a picture for you next time.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely make a couple research trips and I think at least one of the indoor ranges here rents guns to try out. I'll have to make a weekend of it.

I'd recommend the S&W M&P Shield 9mm. I love and have carried it everyday for the past 3 years. I have a friend that had the shield 40 but I found that uncomfortable to shoot due to the snap of the round in such a small frame. Don't get me wrong I love the 40 round and my full size duty weapon is the M&P 40 but for conceal carry I prefer the 9 since it has soft recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ethlar - I said it on the previous page but not sure if you check this thread.

In order to get a handgun in Maryland you need to take the "Handgun Qualification License (HQL) course". So I'm doing that next Thursday (6pm-10pm).

For those that didn't see either (posted it on SnapChat earlier - Ethlar saw it) here is my 1st time shooting an AR15 a few hours ago :excited:

4698082578276946261%253Faccount_id%253D1

Back