Car shakes at 52-60 MPH while accelerating.

TommyBoy

My car shakes while accelerating from 52-60 MPH. It almost feels like the car is shimmying from side to side. It is noticeable in the front and back seat and the dash. The wheel does not shake at all. I rotated my tires and the shaking did not change. The car has new brakes all around and almost new tires. There is no noise or vibration while turning and the inner and outer CV boots are clean and intact. It does it under light or hard acceleration. Nothing seems loose or visibly wrong with suspension at all four corners. Any ideas what it can be?

Yes the shaking only happens at speeds from 52-60 usually the worst at 53-57 and is nonexistent at any other speed. It severity does not change with how hard i speed up, it just ends sooner. The shaking is only in the body of the car not the wheel and rotating tires did nothing.

Rotating wouldn't help if the issue is in the balance of the tire. You're just moving it front to back, but the tire is still the same. Was the issue there before the new tires were put on?

My suggestion is taking it to a tire shop that has road force balancing to have them check your current tires.

Yep, it sounds like unbalanced wheel(s).

Let's put road force in this frame thinking. Balancing a wheel is just spinning it in mid air and seeing what side has more weight to cause oscillation and to add weights to counter it. Simple, you can do this to a brick and make it balance free spinning. But will that brick roll? Of course not, you can balance an egg but it still won't roll properly. Road force senses the "out of round" the tire has with the "out of round" the rim has and tells you which way to rotate the tire on the rim to get a more "circular" form.

Reactions: Nix
Has shake been there since you got the car?
1) Is your TPMS operational? Are tires the proper size, balanced, and properly inflated?
2) Has your suspension or a wheel been damaged?

Unbalanced wheel

OR hubcentric rings if you have anything else on there than the O.E.M wheels

I have only had the car a few weeks. The shake has been there since i got it. The tires and rims are in good shape and match. Everything is factory original, no modifications, no damage. Tires were rotated and balanced. I have an appointment to get it looked at Friday.

Well OK, I took the car back to the dealer where I purchased the car since it came with a 90 unlimited 100% parts and labor warranty ( I would have gone sooner but its an hour away and I work 7 days a week). They took a look at it and said the axles were worn. I got 2 new axles for free and the car is perfect now.

Worn axles already? What year/trim/mileage? I cannot believe its worn "axles" because that sounds ridiculous. Defects are possible but man, axles don't wear that quick. We've never replaced an axle on any of our Hondas and we have well over 1 million miles between several vehicles. Some well maintained, some not and even the ones that have been put through hell have never needed an axle in over 200k of driving.

Worn axles already? What year/trim/mileage? I cannot believe its worn "axles" because that sounds ridiculous. Defects are possible but man, axles don't wear that quick. We've never replaced an axle on any of our Hondas and we have well over 1 million miles between several vehicles. Some well maintained, some not and even the ones that have been put through hell have never needed an axle in over 200k of driving.
Maybe the last owner abused it severely?

Must have off-roaded the bastard!

hqdefault.jpg

2012 civic ex-l navi with 64000 miles. The car was one owner, a middle aged business man.

Back