Modified Stock Air Box

Turkeyfeast123

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and new to modifications, however, I am not new to civics, this is my 5th civic, but my first civic si. Recently bought a 2012 civic si coupe and love it. So I spent some time researching inexpensive ways to improve air flow, and stumbed along the idea of modifying the stock air box. I took it one step further...not only modifying the stock set up, but just removing it completely, with the exception of the stock air box and tube to the throttle body. After I removed just the stock piping (which was a real pain) I noticed the sound of the intake change dramatically and in a good way, and then I added a custom velocity stack (10cm/4in) diameter, that fit very nicely right over the lip of the air box, here's some pictures!

20160831_094947.jpg 20160904_183055.jpg 20160908_202624.jpg 20160908_202632.jpg

Webby, thanks for the feedback. I thought of doing the same myself, however, when I began to take apart the stock tubing, my thoughts were that there would be plenty of air circulating the engine bay simply as a result of removing the tubing as it also acts like a barrier. Plus, if I did the other set up, I would want to close off the top of the U of the tubing, because that opening is much larger and more of a percentage of air would be coming from that tube versus the tube inside the fender (not dismissing the venturii effect here because that would also aid in more of a vacuum for the cold air, just a personal preference at this point in time). I am getting an increase of an average of 2-3 MPG for whatever that's worth. Currently my MPG today coming into work is at 33.8, highest on the highway after fill up was 44.5

I understand the thought of more flow/more air equalls better performance as I have been down this road but found about nothing worth while. The velocity stack is a great idea but it doesn't funnel the air down a tube like it would at the end of a SRI/CAI. The air is being pulled into that hole then doing a 180 degree turn to go into the TB, not exactly smooth flow. Also the engine bay temps are much hotter (picking up air from behind the radiator/condenser) and heat for any engine performance is a loss in power. The mpg increase is a definite plus but I can't break 28 mpgs due to a heavy foot lol.

I like the idea, you have the right ideas in mind but these stock air boxes are hard to beat honestly. I have a thread about trying to add a scoop for ram air into the air box from the lower fog light housing but I never fully went through with it. With that said though I have more idea's for addition's to air ducting IF I put the PRL SRI on that is sitting in the closet.

The only bad idea is one you haven't tried:thumb:

Webby. What are the gains for doing this? And should I be worried when it rains if I do this? Seems like a filtered CAI.

I do a bunch of digging after I asked. Got my answer thanks.

In the diy there's a discussion link as well.

I have not noticed any problems with wet/rainy weather. The air box on the 12-15 civics are high enough off the ground (in my opinion), which if you measure is around the same height as the wheels...so unless you're driving in a swamp, lake, massive puddle, you shouldn't really have a problem. I certainly take my precautions with driving in wet weather as is, so just be careful and you should be fine.

I understand the thought of more flow/more air equalls better performance as I have been down this road but found about nothing worth while. The velocity stack is a great idea but it doesn't funnel the air down a tube like it would at the end of a SRI/CAI. The air is being pulled into that hole then doing a 180 degree turn to go into the TB, not exactly smooth flow. Also the engine bay temps are much hotter (picking up air from behind the radiator/condenser) and heat for any engine performance is a loss in power. The mpg increase is a definite plus but I can't break 28 mpgs due to a heavy foot lol.

I like the idea, you have the right ideas in mind but these stock air boxes are hard to beat honestly. I have a thread about trying to add a scoop for ram air into the air box from the lower fog light housing but I never fully went through with it. With that said though I have more idea's for addition's to air ducting IF I put the PRL SRI on that is sitting in the closet.

The only bad idea is one you haven't tried:thumb:

My thoughts exactly, this is certainly a temporary set up, my idea (bare with me here)....is to do a dual intake system, which I am not entirely sure how it will work out but here's the idea. I found a twin turbo intercooler piping website, and the product I'm interested in is a Y-pipe, which would allow enough space to clamp on the proper silicone couplers to do a short ram intake as well as a cold air intake. Obviously the whole thing needs to be custom because no company is gonna market something that looks like a baby octopus in your engine bay. That being said, it seems like a fun and fairly in expensive idea. Most likely it will involve buying a universal adapter pipe for the MAF or buying the DC motorsports SRI and cutting it down a bit so I can fit the Y-pipe but leave the MAF plate and the vacuum line for the crankcase. Then buying some smaller diameter piping for the CAI and running it down the same path that the original stock air tubing was previously.

Now, my only ?? I have in my mind is how much the other air intake tubing might throw off the actual performance of the engine, since how the MAF will only be attached to one tube (the SRI) and the CAI will have nothing and go straight to the Y-pipe, who knows, if it ever happens I'll post the pictures.

Seeing how I live in San Diego. I don't think water will be to much of a problem. Thanks for the reply man.

I have a dc short ram on my car and it sounds great, but honestly at times the PCM freaks out at low rpm. ~1,800 rpm in 2-3 at low speeds (definitely bogged down) it will pop and stutter. I cut my lower half of my air box prior to getting the SRI. It had the louder intake noise I'd hoped for without causing it to run weird on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this too! i left the tube that u have the air box connected to tho and pointed it up instead of down. I'll post a pic later to clarify what I mean.

I feel like it might be really easy for water to get in there if you're driving through the rain

Hey guys, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to share some info. I bought a SRI off eBay. It is the AF Dynamic brand that points back to the firewall and has a heat shield on the left sside of the intake filter. This is not an "eBay" intake, it is a reputable company just not so expensive as other brand names. If you go full SRI I promise you it will be a totally different world. Honda quieted up the motor with that air intake resonator. It's much louder with a SRI, and opened up the throttle dramatically. My girlfriend freaked out and said it pulls harder. I just installed it this evening and I'm pretty impressed. It looks like the below picture but it has a metal shield on the left side blocking the engine heat. I got the red color. This intake is 3" wide unlike the skunk2 which is 3.5".

Attachments

• afdynamic.jpg
    afdynamic.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 35
Hey guys, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to share some info. I bought a SRI off eBay. It is the AF Dynamic brand that points back to the firewall and has a heat shield on the left sside of the intake filter. This is not an "eBay" intake, it is a reputable company just not so expensive as other brand names. If you go full SRI I promise you it will be a totally different world. Honda quieted up the motor with that air intake resonator. It's much louder with a SRI, and opened up the throttle dramatically. My girlfriend freaked out and said it pulls harder. I just installed it this evening and I'm pretty impressed. It looks like the below picture but it has a metal shield on the left side blocking the engine heat. I got the red color. This intake is 3" wide unlike the skunk2 which is 3.5".

I actually rocked one of these for a little bit, (around 1-2 months) and personally loved how the thing sounded. I agree, it sounded a lot more aggressive than the stock airbox and I felt like the low end pulled harder, but after a while, my 13' SI coupe started driving funny; I would feel that when the revs were screaming above 5k in vtec, The car would "run out of steam" at the top of its power band. I tested the intake on 2 different nights around the same temp, and actually felt that the car pulled harder with the stock box, so I left it off. I used the heat shield and everything as well. After the second month of running this intake, my car threw a "check emissions" light on me lol

Back