performance suspension upgrade on my fb2

Tak

New York City
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan (FB2)
Hi guys

The only departments missing on my fb2 are suspensions upgrade, headlights retrofit, and some engine bolt on.

If my plan goes well, I'll get a used minivan this year. It's gonna be a daily family car.

After this, my first major mod on my fb2 will be the suspension upgrade.

First of all, I have no prior experience driving a lowered car. Secondly, roads in NYC are crappy. Third, I'll still drive my fb2 alot but it won't be a daily anymore.

My decision is to lower the car 1". But I think it won't close the huge wheel gap. I think I will need at least 1.5" drop. I'm on 215/45R17.

I think dropping 1.5" is at its limit going through the speed bump without scraping bottom.

I've been researching and concluded the followings

1. Truhart or Koni yellow shock with Eibach spring
2. Truhart or Koni yellow shock with H&R sport spring
3. Truhart or Koni yellow shock with Tein spring.

I want to hear your options about all these combo setup for my fb2.

Thanks

Tak

Last edited:
I think option 3 sounds the best to me, but I also like those brands quite a bit. I have the truhart 2" lowering springs and have nothing but good things to say about them. That's the only suspension moss I've done so far though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tak
eibach pro kit is 1.2" drop -

Eibach_1.sized.jpg

this is the si, but it shows what the 1.2" looks like

I think option 3 sounds the best to me, but I also like those brands quite a bit. I have the truhart 2" lowering springs and have nothing but good things to say about them. That's the only suspension moss I've done so far though.

Thanks @bauer311
I personally like the Tein over H&R. But my worry is that the drop is 1.5 that may not have the clearance over the speed bumps and I must need the camber kit.

eibach pro kit is 1.2" drop -

Eibach_1.sized.jpg

this is the si, but it shows what the 1.2" looks like
I actually prefer and toward the Eibach spring which has 1.2. I think it's very good as a daily with crappy road as it looks it has more than enough clearance over those speed bumps. The wheel gap is okay as well, it's not bad though. And I may get away from using the camber kit. But I heard Eibach spring has some noise issues.

Thanks @bauer311
I personally like the Tein over H&R. But my worry is that the drop is 1.5 that may not have the clearance over the speed bumps and I must need the camber kit.
On the 2" drop ill need the camber kits for the back eventually. With a 1.2-1.5 inch drop ours prolly a matter of personal preference. If 1.5 is too low for speed bumps then go with what works for your situation. That 1.2" drop will look way better one is down, it'll seem like more compared to stock.

I would get the TruHart/Eibach Prokit setup. I think with the slightly shorter TruHart strut that the drop will be closer to 1.2" or 1.3" instead of the claimed 1.0"

The H&R drop suits the car very well but you will be closer to 1.5" drop or slightly more. At that point you should also consider picking up a set of rear camber arms. From what most people have posted up, a drop of that size results in a lot of negative rear camber. More than I would suggest for a DD and reasonable tire wear.

You shouldn't have any issues with that drop and driving around like normal. Same with winter time. I ran almost a 2" drop in Upstate NY for a couple winters. It was only an issue when there was 8" of snow or more I was trying to plow through. I do scrape on inclines/driveways occasionally. I haven't had any speed bump issues but I do go slow over them.

Also, if you're getting your parts through redshift, and you don't have a garage to work in, PAY FOR THE FULL ASSEMBLY OPTION!

Yeah, it costs a bit but you also don't have to reuse any stock parts and you can just bang the new stuff in. Extremely worth it if you are working street side/parking lot at an apt complex. The time savings is huge and you know it's all put together right. After mucking with mine multiple times I paid someone else to do it and I was much happier. hahahah

If you haven't done it yet, the rear sway bar upgrade is a much more significant handling improvement. That should be on the list of things to do first. Seriously. It's like buying a whole new car.

EDIT: Why no Koni recommendation? Eh, cost. Really, if you have the budget get the Koni struts. They are more expensive and require fabrication work, or paying to have it done. It adds up quick. TruHarts with the assembly option for a DD/fun car is a better use of the $$ all things considered. I would not swap my Koni setup for anything less but cost wise, ouch. Worth it? They are to me. My wifes car has the HFP kit on it and for a DD that handles well I find the ride to be much much more tolerable.

I spoke with my friend who is also a BMW / Civic enuthisasaic. He said dropping 1.2" with Eibach is no difference with H&R 1.5" in real world. He says some BMW and Benz like CLA is low and they are just fine in NYC. But we just gotta drive very carefully and pay extra attention otherwise it's gonna scrap. H&R is a bit better than Eibach as well. Is this correct?

What is the stock ground clearance on civic?

If I really consider H&R spring with Truhart coil, what camber kit do you recommend for a daily?

Thanks

Tak

Last edited:
Spc camber arms have been found branded as dorman for cheap on Amazon. Skunk2 camber arms are good quality, but really expensive. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Spc camber arms have been found branded as dorman for cheap on Amazon. Skunk2 camber arms are good quality, but really expensive. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I also like the spc as well. I know HPD uses it as well.
Thanks for your idea.
I may get it soon.

Last edited:
I had tein springs on mine and loved it.. great drop and still rode good, I never got to upgrade the shocks either so they were stock.. these are the "dorman" arms..IMG_0210.JPG

So I created this checklist

1. Truhart shock
2. H&R spring
3. SPC rear camber kit
4. Alignments

Do I also need anything else? Like front camber bolt?

Thanks

Reactions: Nix
With that spring kit you shouldn't need the camber bolts.. so your list looks complete

1. Truhart shock
2. H&R spring
3. SPC rear camber kit
4. Alignments

Thanks

With that spring kit you shouldn't need the camber bolts.. so your list looks complete :thumbsup:

1. Truhart shock
2. H&R spring
3. SPC rear camber kit
4. Alignments

Thanks

Camber bolts for the front are not necessary. I dropped 2" and I have no obvious camber at all.

I spoke with my friend who is also a BMW / Civic enuthisasaic. He said dropping 1.2" with Eibach is no difference with H&R 1.5" in real world. He says some BMW and Benz like CLA is low and they are just fine in NYC. But we just gotta drive very carefully and pay extra attention otherwise it's gonna scrap. H&R is a bit better than Eibach as well. Is this correct?

What is the stock ground clearance on civic?

If I really consider H&R spring with Truhart coil, what camber kit do you recommend for a daily?

Thanks

Tak
Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-521-872-Control-Arm/dp/B00GJ1OP00/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=_&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B00GJ1OP00

You need 2 of these. They are the spc arms

Back