DIY 2012 Civic Si Manual Transmission Fluid Change

First thing, the bolt on the top (at least for a 2013) is a 17mm not an 18mm. Second you probably are gonna need an extension for the top fill and the write up does not mention that. So now im putting my car back together and wasting money. Please fix.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

First thing, the bolt on the top (at least for a 2013) is a 17mm not an 18mm. Second you probably are gonna need an extension for the top fill and the write up does not mention that. So now im putting my car back together and wasting money. Please fix.

When you say "you probably are gonna need an extension for the top fill" do you mean a ratchet extension or an extension for a funnel and why are you wasting money?

Rachet extension, and im wasting money cause im buying wrong size sockets. Sure I can return but I just disassembled to find out its incorrect and not thorough.

The bolt on the top (at least for a 2013) is a 17mm not an 18mm.

Thanks for the update.

So now im putting my car back together and wasting money. Please fix.

Dude, title says 2012. You have a 2013. I think it's probably pretty unexpected that they would have changed bolt sizes for that from 12' to 13'. Aside from that, complaining about a free DIY guide that gives you two fill options? If you could get to the drain bolt, you could get to the actual fill port and that bolt may have been a 17mm.

Im sorry but a diy guide free or not should be accurate for the less experienced. Sure sizes could have changed but doubt it

Last edited:
Well, his car apparently had an 18mm bolt on it. He's actually holding an 18mm socket in his hand in the one picture. I doubt he did that just to throw you off. You may not be aware but the suspension and front knuckle bolts changed from 12' to 13' to 14' to 15'. It's been a very frustrating car for everyone since Honda made lots and lots of small changes to the car every year.

Rachet extension, and im wasting money cause im buying wrong size sockets. Sure I can return but I just disassembled to find out its incorrect and not thorough.

Im sorry but a diy guide free or not should be accurate for the less experienced. Sure sizes could have changed but doubt it

I guess a lesson learned here is that you're better off buying a set of sockets rather than one at a time so that if you need different sizes or you're not sure what size you will need when working on your car, you have options. It's also cheeper to buy a set in the long run rather than buying them one by one.
If you are going to tinker with your car, you're going to need different size sockets and wrenches for sure.
Personally I'd only buy one size if it was a weird size or something I'm not likely to need in the future.
I feel your frustration though. There's nothing worse than getting into a project and realizing that you don't have the proper tools to finish the job.

Does anyone know of all of the three bolt that can be used during the transmission fluid change, which ones have replaceable crush washers?
Top fill?
Side drain?
Side fill?

Does anyone know of all of the three bolt that can be used during the transmission fluid change, which ones have replaceable crush washers?
Top fill?
Side drain?
Side fill?
All have crush washers

Drain 14mm (same as oil drain)
94109-14000

Both fills 20mm
94109-20000

I buy them in packs of 10 from Amazon.
This is for manual only. Automatics have a larger drain washer (18mm) and fill from the dipstick hole.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

you sure @JonnyRotten? The parts diagram shows them as the same bolt (same part#)?

d06e35c13263109fc8587a08c9967592.gif

Isn't one a 17 and the other a 3/8 ratchet. I could be thinking of my b series.

I just did the transmission fluid change on my 2014 Si couple.
My top fill bolt is 17mm
My side fill bolt is 17mm (updated)

you sure @JonnyRotten? The parts diagram shows them as the same bolt (same part#)?

d06e35c13263109fc8587a08c9967592.gif

Is that parts diagram from a 2014 @dpetro1?
Both of the crush washers were the same but I'm pretty sure the lower bolt was an 18mm.
Now you have me questioning myself......

Yup, that's the 2014 diagram. doubled checked with 2012 too, same thing as well.

i don't think i've ever seen anything 18mm on a Honda.

OK @dpetro1 you were right. I changed my oil last night so while I was under the car I double checked the side fill bolt on the transmission.
It is 17mm. :pat:
I've updated my post with the proper sizes.

Back