stormCIVIC fg3

others have claimed that the airbag system is essentially disabled if the seat airbags aren't seen by the system.
You mean the entire system including the front, passenger side and both rear passenger side?

You mean the entire system including the front, passenger side and both rear passenger side?
Supposedly, but I don't know that anything can be proved without Honda themselves commenting.

"My Mitsubushi mechanic just informed me that with aftermarket seats, if your airbag light is on then NONE of the airbags will deploy. You have to trick both the driver side and passenger side air bags sensors and the passenger side weight sensor to have your other airbags still function."

That is my understanding as well. If the SRS light is on, the system is disabled. The OPDS, occupant/passenger detection, knows when there is enough weight in the seat for the airbag to need to deploy. Its to help prevent injuries. Also, if you're passenger is leaned way over in the seat it won't blow the side airbag so it doesn't detonate directly on them. It's a pretty thorough system.

Aftermarket seats are generally no where near as safe as the OEM seats.

Yeah, I don't think anyone has been able to answer definitively on this but I would err on the side of caution that removing a seat or swapping to a bag less steering wheel may disable the system. From what I've read and been able to find out, if the SRS light is on, the system is off to prevent unnecessary or accidental deployment.

There are bypasses out there with resistors in the yellow SRS clips to fool the system. It seems to work for the drivers seat but the passenger seat has the OPDS sensors which are much more complicated. Plus most guys aren't swapping to FIA tested seats and are getting cheap knockoffs, or not, with cheap bolt in harness bars and 4 point harnesses. Terrible setups just asking for injury in a street driven car. These guys aren't trying to run a cage/5-point/helmet system. Just street cred and BRIDE seats with Takata harnesses.

I have to say most aftermarket seats do look damn good and I bet they have better bolstering. 4-point harnesses look cool and I would run a set myself if they were safe. Fact is, no one has put as much time, research and testing into your safety as the OEM equipment has. That seat, seatbelt, and airbag system are designed to save your life in the worst crash possible. Honda has good safety ratings for a reason. Safety equipment is a system.

I just don't want anyone to get seriously hurt because they ran a "cool" seat and didn't know what they were getting into.

New lights
16681552_10210698123027013_2380830262236534707_n.jpg

16807096_10210698123707030_234000801970440995_n.jpg

16830824_10210698124627053_7117605662727029947_n.jpg

16711640_10210698124227043_608530079720075492_n.jpg

Details? You put a deposit on one? What about pricing info.. and so on
no havnt done anything but talk to the dealership about getting me up to date info on the type r. So when it is released its said to be a mid $30k car so im trading my 9th gen and putting a small down payment and then making payments for it. Also my car knows ive been talking about trading it in. the battery died and alternator quit today.my car is pissed at me right now. lol

I have a couple of friends who work in local auto sales. They told me that the new Type R is $38k with limited sales only. It's like the 8th Gen Mugen Si.

I was thinking about getting it initially as well. But seeing a huge bill coming from 38K with my LX as down payment, I drop my idea.

I may get a Si instead if I got extra money.
Type R is my dream but it's not a daily car and i don't want more bills.

Tak

I've been hearing that even top dealership guys, owners, aren't able to get their hands on Type R's. Guys who can afford them. Be very careful who you give your money/deposit to.

did they talk about markup over msrp at the dealership?

I have a couple of friends who work in local auto sales. They told me that the new Type R is $38k with limited sales only. It's like the 8th Gen Mugen Si.

I was thinking about getting it initially as well. But seeing a huge bill coming from 38K with my LX as down payment, I drop my idea.

I may get a Si instead if I got extra money.
Type R is my dream but it's not a daily car and i don't want more bills.

Tak

I've been hearing that even top dealership guys, owners, aren't able to get their hands on Type R's. Guys who can afford them. Be very careful who you give your money/deposit to.
did they talk about markup over msrp at the dealership?
I put a $500 deposit down today. and i talked markup and made him know im not buying it if its too high. I said you can forget it if you think im paying 50k for a civic. he said "no worries there's no way they will make it that high. he said its impossible that high so no worries. if they mark it up it wont be terribly too high". He promised me so lets just wait and see. and i ordered white. so im 1st on the list and im so excited. also i saw a post that they may only bring 500 over here to the US. I hope they bring more. that would help with the markup junk. regardless the number they bring he said ill get my type R. so lets cross fingers. he said also the car comes with mud guards, all weather mats, window tint, door handle 3m protect, paint protect, and lifetime warranty.

well they qouted me $46,798 for the type R and of course at that price i said no. and went to the mazda dealership just curious about the new Mx5 RF club manual. and..... ended up buying one. here it is. and yes the one i bought was in the service show room and it has the following added upgrades ( brembo brake kit, appearance pkg.( splitter, spoiler, skirts, diffuser) , Nav chip, interior lighting, trunk tray, and mats)
****by the way heck with the type r. just get one of these. they have the same 0-60 as the type r, way cooler, and rwd,manual,front naturally aspirated engine, and 50:50 weight distribution. its the most amazing thing youll ever drive so light and nimble. trust me just go test drive one. youll thank me later***
19225711_10211792629548992_4073932285146852479_n.jpg

19397017_10211841871420008_1183328052705463864_n.jpg

Very nice.
I agree that the Type R is way over priced. All the dealers jack up the price like everyone is crazy about it.
I've dropped my idea about getting the Type R and been thinking about getting a 2008 mugen SI or s2000.

How about your r18? Do you keep it or did you trade it in?

Congrats storm. That looks really nice. Do you mind sharing what msrp was, or if they worked on price?

@Nix ^new Miata

Back