First time lowering a car

veech_fg4

I have a 2012 Civic Si coupe with 44k miles. I'm really interested in lowering her a bit (1.5" - 2"), would be ideal. Since she is my DD I want everything to be done right and made to last as long as possible.

As a daily driver (no intentions of track days or racing), are springs or coilovers the better option to get. I know I want to maintain OEM spec alignment / camber so I will be purchasing rear camber arms as well. Any other parts I should buy to replace stock parts / hardware? There will be rust for sure on all things stock being a New Yorker.

Thanks for the input.

Also wheels/rims are stock as well

Reactions: Tak
do you see yourself needing to adjust the height of your vehicle in the future?

i like my coilovers because i change my ride height every now and then depending on my wheel setup. if you're not looking to go too low i think a good spring and strut combo should be just fine, and would probably be more comfortable, and cheaper lol

..and would probably be more comfortable, and cheaper lol

Not necessarily. Coilovers that have been dialed in with a proper alignment reign supreme. If you're looking for a two inch drop, they're the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Springs can be like $200. Entry coilovers are like 700-750ish. Coilovers can be raised lowered at will. Springs will keep you at one height. Really your call.

How long do you think a spring setup would last ? Looking at D2 springs which claim a 2" drop.

Would it be best to get truhart performance shocks and do them both in one shot?

Last edited:
Springs will last a very very long time unless there is some defect. Oem shocks will be the item to fail over time. Some have gone 50k+ on the oem shocks. All depends on what you'd like to do. The truharts should help the ride over oem shocks. Oem shocks will wear faster with aftermarket springs though.

Ultimate setup? For a 2" drop? For NY, and NY winters, I recommend a Spring/Koni yellow setup with front camber bolts and "Dorman" rear camber arms. Coils get eaten alive by the sand/salt winters. Just set it and forget it for ride height with a nice spring/strut kit.

The Koni inserts need fabrication work for the front. Truharts are nice because they just bolt in. The truharts are supposed to be a decent well performing strut. I have no personal experience with them but they have good reviews.

depending on your budget do the springs and struts at the same time. It'll save you having to redo the install later when the OEM struts fail. If you can't swing it all at once, get the springs you want and then upgrade the struts when you can. The only nice thing about coilover kits is that you get a strut that can accommodate the lower ride height without failing the way and OEM strut will. Generally a coil over does not have as good of a damper as a separate strut like the Truhart/Koni will. Cost is the real obstacle.

HFP suspension. it will last as long as you keep the car.
I agree if you want a reliability. But he says his civic is a DD and he wants to lower 2". HFP only lowers about 1". HFP is what I'm strongly considering now as a DD in NYC .

How about Truhart shock with Skunk2 spring? A lifetime warranty on shock gives him some peace of mind?

I agree if you want a reliability. But he says his civic is a DD and he wants to lower 2". HFP only lowers about 1". HFP is what I'm strongly considering now as a DD in NYC .

How about Truhart shock with Skunk2 spring? A lifetime warranty on shock gives him some peace of mind?

I was in NYC last December. I quickly realized I would have destroyed my car if I had taken it instead of my wife's car. I am dropped about 2" on H&R springs. Hell, if anything, I would be raising a car in order to drive in NYC.

I was in NYC last December. I quickly realized I would have destroyed my car if I had taken it instead of my wife's car. I am dropped about 2" on H&R springs. Hell, if anything, I would be raising a car in order to drive in NYC.

I know what you mean. Pot holes and high curbs are everywhere in NYC. I really mean everywhere. Even though I am on a stock height. I was careless that I managed to hit the high curb that messed up the front bumper and lip. That's why I prefer HFP more than Truhart shock with lower spring.

Attachments

• WP_20170328_004.jpg
    WP_20170328_004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
HFP suspension. it will last as long as you keep the car.

:thumbsup:
I think the HFP kit is great if you don't want a super low drop. It's complete, bolts right in, and is OEM quality. We have the HFP setup on my wifes car and I think it rides great and handles much better than stock. It's also high enough that she doesn't scrape the bumper on parking lot blocks and curbs if she pulls in too far.

Honestly I had aftermarket Buddy Club race spec coilovers and they handled like a dream. But a winter season and salty roads did a number on the coils. If you want that super low racy feel put on the coils for the summer or the track and put the stock suspension back on. Otherwise get ready for the coil to corrode and give out.

Last edited:
Going with Truhart suspension and D2 lowering springs and doorman camber adjustable rear arms.

Pros: 2" drop and the price is right.
Cons: may not ride as optimal as HFP /Fit like OEM

Should I be prepared with new hardware / parts for the install? I don't know what part numbers would be involved with the swap from stock but there is definitely going to be a fair amount of rust and corrosion going on down there.

Is it worthwhile to replace/swap out the end links (to MOOG) or any other bushings/bearings, nuts bolts washers etc.

I will also do my lowering soon. I am debating and still prefer the HFP on my r18. And I am recommended getting new bolts.

I am also considering lowering my car as well. I'm probably going to go with Eibach pro or H&R for the light drop. A big concern of mine i that after lowering the car that my exhaust will be resting on my control arm. I have the Full Race exhaust and its hanging on urethane hangers, so it is held tightly, but its a fairly tight space where the exhaust passes through the control arm. I was wondering if anybody has had experience with it or knows if lowering the car will cause my exhaust to bang against everything...

@squiggy has the full FullRace 3" exhaust and is lowered a fair bit. He could definitely tell you if there are clearance issues.

I vote for the H&R Springs. Most people are pretty satisfied with that drop unless they wanted to be slammed.

Large speed bumps, big curbs into driveways, and any high angled driveways.

Back