Factory sub / rear deck question.

Dom79

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I have looked though the forum but didn't come across it.

Do Civics with a factory sub have a cutout/grill on the rear tray cover? All the pics I have found only show grills for the rear speakers.

Webby thank you for the photo. The reason I ask is that I want to add a sub to the factory location in my sedan (EX-L). Do you happen to know where I can get the part number for the SI Sedan tray cover? I am aware that the torsion bars pose an issue but im sure I can work around it. Also I hope that the SI sedan cover will fit (I dont see why it wouldn't)

sub.png

If you don't have a sub from the factory, this is what your rear deck looks like. I didn't realize what you were trying to do.

I will need to cut out the opening for the sub. The EX-L should be no different from the SI sedan. I dont see why I wouldnt be able to cut out the opening, add a sub and then pickup the tray cover with the sub grill.

Wow thats awesome Marc. Thanks for the info!

I'm glad I found this site. Tons of info and good people.

:thumbsup:

Does anyone have or can someone please take a picture of the factory sub from the trunk side, looking up?

Based on what I have read, the torsion bars will be in the way but at a glance it looks like they don't even come close to where the sub would drop in.

IMAG0349.jpg

Thanks again.

Here is mine. Unless i'm missing something, I cant see how the bars would hit the sub at all.

gfxhRJf.jpg

So.... before I go cutting up my rear deck.... can anyone that has dropped an aftermarket sub w/amp in the stock location chime in and tell me if its a worthwhile upgrade? Is the bass lackluster compared to having the sub in a box?

I didn't do anything aftermarket, but I have an Si and my wife has an LX and the difference between her not having a sub and mine with the stock sub is huge. I think you dropping in a sub when you don't have one already will make an amazing difference.

Also I'm no expert but the way I see it, the stock sub facing up like that pretty much uses the cabin as a box, and you can definitely hear that because there's a lot less punch when the windows are down.

Thanks for the reply.

The stock setup is bearable (with the windows up). The speakers that are in there now are actually decent. However... like you said, once I roll the windows down I lose volume and bass.

My thoughts are that swapping in a premium sound head unit (flat output), adding a JL audio 5 channel amp (accepts balanced differential inputs) to power the stock speakers, replacing the stock tweeters with the upgraded ones from the SI premium sound, adding passive 2way crossovers to the fronts and adding a Kicker 8" free air sub in the stock location should make a world of difference, with the windows up or down.

I installed that JL amp in mine, I have an ex coupe with the premium sound, I have 4 JL TR-650 CXi in doors and rear deck, a JL HO110-W6v3.in trunk. I have registered 121db with the app on my iPhone. Also, I would always put a sub in a ported box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back