Driving With Traction Control Off

I think it has a lot of things going on other than brakes. It chooses which wheels "do what", and what the "power" is going to do at any needed point. I don't know how it's done technically. I really don't see the need in pulling the fuse when all it takes is to turn it off when you don't want to use it.

Last edited:
Anyways the reason i ask is that i know the rev limiter cuts fuel which leans out your engine which some ppl say could be bad if you're at the limiter for an extended period of time. (i.e. shorter straighaway in autocross or track in 2nd that doesnt justify a shift to third) So is this also an issue if you're plowing through snow with the TC going for an extended time?

Rev limiter has to do with the engine being at a dangerous RPM where oil goes in places it should not and mechanical stresses exceeding safe for reliability limits. Having the TC kick in all the time has no issues except for the fun factor :)

In my experience going through snow with TC on will move you safely but slowly. TC off you'll go much faster but lots of skidding involved which can be controlled or uncontrolled.

Anyways the reason i ask is that i know the rev limiter cuts fuel which leans out your engine which some ppl say could be bad if you're at the limiter for an extended period of time. (i.e. shorter straighaway in autocross or track in 2nd that doesnt justify a shift to third) So is this also an issue if you're plowing through snow with the TC going for an extended time?
I wouldn't think it would be a problem in the snow unless you're at the limiter while driving in it, Just a word on driving in the snow(not for you, I don't know your abilities...... just for the ppl that might not know). Keeping the rpm's down works better than trying to keep it in the same gear as you would on a dry road.(called "short shifting").

I wouldn't think it would be a problem in the snow unless you're at the limiter while driving in it, Just a word on driving in the snow(not for you, I don't know your abilities...... just for the ppl that might not know). Keeping the rpm's down works better than trying to keep it in the same gear as you would on a dry road.(called "short shifting").
Well said, using lower torque gears helps with getting more traction.

Ya i assume it isn't a problem. I was just wondering if extended usage of TC can cause problems to your engine. Its not really an issue since it only kicks in for a couple seconds anyways...

Directly from their press release on vsa with traction control:

Advanced Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA™) with Traction Control
Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) is an Electronic Stability Control system that works in conjunction with the Civic's Drive-By-Wire™ throttle system and its 4-channel ABS systems to enhance control while the vehicle is accelerating, braking, cornering or when the driver makes a sudden maneuver. VSA functions by applying brake force to one or more wheels independently while simultaneously managing the throttle, ignition and fuel systems to help the vehicle maintain the driver's intended path of travel.

The VSA system constantly analyzes data from six sensors that monitor wheel and vehicle speed, steering input, lateral G forces and yaw rate. VSA compares the driver's inputs with the vehicle's actual response. Whenever the actual response falls outside of a predetermined acceptable range, VSA intervenes with a corrective action. For example, if VSA detects an oversteer condition, the system may apply braking force to the outside front and rear wheels to counteract the unintended yawing effect. In the event of understeer, VSA may apply braking to the inside rear wheel while reducing engine power to help return the car to its intended course.

VSA also provides a limited-slip differential effect for the front wheels by applying braking force to a slipping wheel, thereby redirecting driving force to the wheel with more traction. VSA is calibrated to function in a nearly transparent manner, and in many cases a driver will not be aware of its operation. However, any time that the system is enhancing vehicle stability, an indicator light flashes in the instrument cluster. While the driver can deactivate the VSA stability enhancement and traction-control functions via a switch located on the instrument panel, ABS remains fully operational at all times.

Honda is applying a new and additional type of control algorithm to the Vehicle Stability Assist® (VSA) system for the 2012 Civic that enables more responsive handling under icy or slippery conditions. The concept for this additional algorithm is based on patented Honda know-how gained from its humanoid robotics research and development work.

The conventional VSA feedback loop, which operates by comparing the actual vehicle course with the intended course based on an ideal vehicle response, is augmented by additional control applied via a secondary feedback loop. This additional feedback loop is a type of filter that in effect quickens the estimation of the intended path – based on the driver 's inputs – and acts in parallel to the conventional "actual versus intended course" stability control, and is used to augment that control.

Like conventional VSA, the additional control loop also considers steering wheel angle, yaw rate, wheel speeds, throttle pedal angle, vehicle acceleration and other variables. It then lightly brakes individual wheels as needed, to predictively control the vehicle along its intended path, and is able to induce more yaw more quickly than conventional VSA on low friction roads.

This advanced VSA system control loop results in faster reacting stability control and reduced transient understeer which may occur on icy or other slippery roads, compared with the previous Civic VSA system. This makes the vehicle more responsive, improving path accuracy, and enhancing the fun-to-drive character that is a trademark of Honda vehicles.

Ya i assume it isn't a problem. I was just wondering if extended usage of TC can cause problems to your engine. Its not really an issue since it only kicks in for a couple seconds anyways...
Depends on your driving style but I do not think the engine is the one that feels the RPM changes pain, it is the transmission and wheel assembly. Driving with TC off on slippery condition involves lots of throttle work. Race drivers modulate the throttle a lot in such conditions since one always tries to play around the grip point.

Sometimes in deep snow you need to spin though. The traction control really doesn't help in that situation. Otherwise it's great.

I agree with you....... I just finshed listening to to whole thing, and it's saying that a large percentage already have them and as it stands now that they all will have them in the next 2 years. Of course we'll have no say in the matter.

We already have black boxes in at least the 2013's, it is in the owners manual.

I keep TC off for 2 reasons. The biggest is when merging on the interstate any bump in the ramp cuts throttle for a few seconds.. Not something I want to deal with when merging into 80mph traffic. The second reason being, well, ya never know when someone wants to play lol :driving:I have 20k miles on my Si and more often than not I have TC off. ABS remains functional. The only reason to pull the ABS fuse would be on a track where ABS could hinder track times. All said and done just be smart and be familiar with your car. Too many people find out too late that their limits run out well before the car's does.

Hey, so I just got a 2012 civic si coupe. When I got it I turned off traction control everytime I started it, because you get full control of the throttle. Otherwise the computor cuts power and you cant really take off... So it was a blast driving the summer tires!

Since I live on ohio and snow is on its way I put on the set of hancook winter tires I bought, but they dont have the "tire presure sensors"...

Since I swapped the tires the traction control will NOT turn off. Is that because I dont habe tire pressure sensors on the car? Is there a way to get around it??

Thank you -Soundguy_22

^ what he's said. Also, welcome to the forum & congrats on the new civic

You cannot disable the traction control if the tpms light is on. There is no known bypass for this.
Either swap your stock sensors over or get a second set for the winter wheels

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Welcome to the site fellow Buckeye! You can calibrate the TPMS system in your car menu settings. This might correct your problems. I'm not sure if the sensors, or lack thereof, will prevent you from doing so, but it's worth a try.

Welcome to the site fellow Buckeye! You can calibrate the TPMS system in your car menu settings. This might correct your problems. I'm not sure if the sensors, or lack thereof, will prevent you from doing so, but it's worth a try.
He has a 2012, no way to calibrate tpms for that year.
Also he does not have tpms sensors in the new wheels so he will not be able to get the tpms to set

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back