Winter set up

Jason Jones

Hello all, I have a 15' Si and it came with the 18" wheels and standard issue tires. I have moved to Colorado from CA and in preparation for the winter I am looking to get some "snow time wheels" so can I put 17" wheels with a certain size for the snow tires or do I HAVE to get 18" wheels and matching (stock size) snow tires for this to work without issue?

No you can go 17's or even 16's if you want. If you look at tire rack's site it can list optional tire/wheel sizes that won't throw off your speedometer when you downsize the wheel. No issues doing that at all.

Idk what you are looking for, but I have my old winter set for sale. Konig Gold Feather's 17x7 wrapped in WS80 Blizzaks 215/40. TPMS Sensors and everything included.

They worked great, they are just too small to fit my BBK. And I can't recommend snow tires enough. I haven't had to plow my driveway since I started using them, lol.
d3c9850a6596a862e5d05e529cdd70fe.jpg
7281a13c8f729ebafe2ab42ad9b167ca.jpg
c2210327cb839d9fbb55e3fc3491b47a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Just curious. U dudes that live in the colder parts of this world. Do u ever have to use chains with snow tires or do the cars handle fine without them? Sorry. Born raised so cal lol.

Chicago here and ever since I've had snow tires I haven't gotten stuck once

Do u ever have to use chains
There are some mountain passes that sometimes require chains to be used. Like you can be fined if you try to drive on them without chains. Doesn't matter if you have snow tires or 4wd/awd. You have to carry chains in the vehicle and put them on in some places. Snow tires for the most part can get you though about anything though.

16" wheels and tires are lighter, less expensive, and work better than 17s. I run a 16" winter setup on my '14 Si.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 17" RSX type-S rims for my winters, but I know the earlier years 16's will work on a Si as well. If you're wanting something OEM that still looks decent, I'd keep on the lookout for a set of those.
52a2056a76260a39d5ca2899c908562d.jpg

Just curious. U dudes that live in the colder parts of this world. Do u ever have to use chains with snow tires or do the cars handle fine without them? Sorry. Born raised so cal lol.
Snow chains are illegal to use here in North Dakota and I believe also in Minnesota. We can use studded tires though.

Chains and studs will tear up roads. Go to any region that allows/requires them and you'll see how bad it chews up the roads.

Chains and studs will tear up roads. Go to any region that allows/requires them and you'll see how bad it chews up the roads.
The saying around here is that we only have 2 seasons, Winter and construction. As soon as the snow and ice are gone they are doing construction on some road or another until the next hard freeze. I personally would not use studded tires, the plows and salt trucks do a well enough job around here. Both in cleaning the roads and destroying them.

yeah, same for a lot of canada or northern/mountain areas in the US.

Chains/Studded Tires are illegal here but emergency vehicles can have them (fire equipment/police vehicles/ect). Fortunately we do not have that bad of winters (part of the state I live in) but in Western Maryland it can get very bad in the mountains.

Back