A couple of interesting issue.

davefootball123

Hi all, hope everyone is doing good. I have a couple interesting and unrelated issues here on my 2012 Civic LX. Trying to shed some light, although I may have already.

First, I had previously mentioned some clutch shudder that I had it was mostly intermittent except after the second which was constant. After 3 clutch replacements, it was still there, so the clutch fork was replaced along with the clutch fork spring and the clutch fork pivot stud etc. The clutch's always looked fine, and the flywheel as well. Transmission mounted up with no issues, aligned perfectly, axles are fine, mounts are fine etc. After this, the shudder went mostly away. I say mostly as I could occasionally make the clutch shudder and sometimes it would intermittently during cool/damp weather and during other times. Sometimes it would be a little worse, sometimes it would be buttery smooth. Today, I had some shudder that was slightly worse than before. The shifter also became a bit stiffer, but not too bad. I was in traffic for the time, and thought maybe the clutch was hot...but it went away instantly after doing a few harder shifts once out of traffic, back to just a slight shudder. I was puzzled so I went home, cracked the slave cylinder bleeder for a couple seconds and then closed it back up...drove the car still hot and its smooth as butter. The slight shudder as discussed earlier slowly crept back (never too bad and also intermittent). I cracked the bleeder again, and its gone...smooth as butter. I don't think I see any air in the system, but I'm starting to wonder if either the master or slave are faulty, or whether there is an air bubble somewhere that just keeps getting shifted around. Any thoughts on this?

Second, I recently got a new set of Pirelli P7 Plus All Season tires, after looking at great reviews. I had them installed and balanced at a reputable shop, upon leaving I noticed a very slight shimmy from what seems to be the front driver side tire. I didn't think I noticed it with my winters, but it turns out the larger side wall just masked it more as it was still present (I tested). I had the tires re-balanced on a road force balancer, no change. I swapped the front and rear tires, no change. This leads me to believe it is not tire related. I had asked the tire shop, who are willing to look at it, they had said the suspension is tight, bushings are tight, everything looks in order with no issues (have used this shop many times so I do trust them). I'm wondering what could cause this? I was thinking potentially wheel bearing with close to 200,000km. The shimmy feels like a back and forth tire wobble or somewhat like a flat spot. Its not too bad, not engine RPM related or drivetrain related (happens in neutral, under power, clutch in etc). And it gets worse with speed up until about 130 where the frequency seems to start lessening the issue.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks guys,

Gonna replace the wheel bearing.

Clutch is still an interesting one tho. Bleed it, works great for 15-45 minutes, then intermittent shutter returns. Even after bleeding hot, cold, dry or damp. If its bled, it works great. Hard to tell if air comes out, but I'm wondering if a minimal leak in the master cylinder is letting some air in.

Replaced the wheel bearing, no change. The everything seems tight with no issues. The steering wheel shimmy occurs at about 100 km/h and continues from there. If I clutch in and go into neutral, it remains with no change in frequency or intensity, not RPM or gear related etc.

I wonder if they road force balanced the wheels...

Any other thoughts?

Axles are fine, wheel bearings fine, suspension is tight, no other noticeable nuances.

So a shop told you one was bad,... and they replaced it? What about the other 3? Or, are you just doing random repairs yourself? Most places don’t road balance, so you’d have to ask them.

Any reason you haven’t replicated what you’re experiencing with a shop tech on a drive so they can narrow it down?

Back