Ok to replace stock speakers while I wait to replace amp?

ElusiveJones

I was thinking id get ahead of the game while I wait for my Mercman harness to come in and get my speakers replaced but don't want to damage them by underpowering them. They are focal integration ISS and ICU 165. Rated 70 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

Also I noticed while getting comfortable replacing the rear speakers that the magnets rest against the trunk axle things (for lack of a better term). How bad is that? Would wrapping them in electrical tape do anything to help? I bought these speakers as a result of that other thread being an easy fit but didn't see any mention of this issue. Any tips? Thanks

I was thinking id get ahead of the game while I wait for my Mercman harness to come in and get my speakers replaced but don't want to damage them by underpowering them. They are focal integration ISS and ICU 165. Rated 70 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

Also I noticed while getting comfortable replacing the rear speakers that the magnets rest against the trunk axle things (for lack of a better term). How bad is that? Would wrapping them in electrical tape do anything to help? I bought these speakers as a result of that other thread being an easy fit but didn't see any mention of this issue. Any tips? Thanks
You won't necessarily damage them, they'll just be underpowered and won't sound nearly as good as they should. If you have an LX or EX without the premium audio, your Headunit is only rated for 160 watts or about 40 per channel. Which is almost half the power needed to reach their RMS. So forget about bass and piercing highs. As far as the rear speakers, I literally did what you said, wrapped the magnets in electrical tape and haven't had a problem!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Ohh I was thinking wrapping the "axles'(is that really what they're called? Lol) in the tape, but ok I'll hit the magnets with a layer or two. And yeah I have the "premium" and not worried about dull sound for the moment as I've been dealing with it since I got the car ;). It's my first DIY project so everything is taking longer than I thought so I just wanted to make sure no damage will happen if I pop in the speakers early (and maybe run the amp wiring while it's all open). Thanks for the reply!

Ohh I was thinking wrapping the "axles'(is that really what they're called? Lol) in the tape, but ok I'll hit the magnets with a layer or two. And yeah I have the "premium" and not worried about dull sound for the moment as I've been dealing with it since I got the car ;). It's my first DIY project so everything is taking longer than I thought so I just wanted to make sure no damage will happen if I pop in the speakers early (and maybe run the amp wiring while it's all open). Thanks for the reply!
I would recommend buying these that way you don't have to cut into the factory wiring, I used them when I installed my speakers and they are a huge life saver since me and anything electrical tend to not get along lol
5586562d70cabd4cc4e216ba89eebc60.jpg

I would recommend buying these that way you don't have to cut into the factory wiring, I used them when I installed my speakers and they are a huge life saver since me and anything electrical tend to not get along lol
5586562d70cabd4cc4e216ba89eebc60.jpg

Oh yeah I bought my speakers from crutchfield so they came with those. Also got some posi connectors so I can tap into the factory speaker wires and run what I need to from there to the amp. Bought a 4 gauge amp install kit off Amazon, and even have some 0 gauge if I feel the need for a big 3 electrical upgrade. I *think* I have everything I need, except a tool to cut and crimp such thick wire, but I'm hoping I know SOMEONE who has one. Just waiting on the Mercman harness and some nice weather to finish up!

Btw, I can just tap into the factory "turn on" wire and run a wire to my amp, correct?

Oh yeah I bought my speakers from crutchfield so they came with those. Also got some posi connectors so I can tap into the factory speaker wires and run what I need to from there to the amp. Bought a 4 gauge amp install kit off Amazon, and even have some 0 gauge if I feel the need for a big 3 electrical upgrade. I *think* I have everything I need, except a tool to cut and crimp such thick wire, but I'm hoping I know SOMEONE who has one. Just waiting on the Mercman harness and some nice weather to finish up!

Btw, I can just tap into the factory "turn on" wire and run a wire to my amp, correct?
Oh true, crutchfield is awesome. I found out about them after I bought my speakers, so pissed I didn't buy from them to begin with. You should be able to run it from the factory on wire with no problem!

Back