Do I need a canbus or relay?

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hi guys. I have a 2014 civic EXL SEDAN. I currently have a retrofit lighting setup with Morimoto mini. My 9005 DRL/high beams finally gave out today. I installed PIAA 9005 extreme white halogen bulbs. They were expensive when I purchased them and I'm not mad at how long they lasted. They lasted 3.5 years.

With LED lasted almost the life of the car, I just don't feel like spending another $70 on PIAA. I wanted to buy F16 led from auxbeam but I think I did that in the past and they flickered and I got the DRL light out on my imid.

I was wondering if anyone knows what I need to buy to make this not happen. I want to have LED DRL but also have the option to high beams from the same LED.

When I low beams come on it doesn't matter because my Morimoto are bi-xenon. When when it's daytime, I want multi use out of my 9005. Can anyone recommend a relay or canbus and so I need both or one. And last question, will this cause harm to my car. If so I will just get Philips 9005 halogen for $20 and buy them again when they burn out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Couple people I know personally have used these for their civics and haven't had any problems with them. I haven't tried any of this out though, I actually don't like the DRL, pulled the fuse for it a while ago [emoji23]
769f12a9982ef078e7e67d8bbfdaf33e.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Did you wire your mini morimoto retrofit to function with your high beams? Your setup drops the shield in the projector when you run your highs? If so, you tapped into your high beam harness somewhere/somehow. Most people don’t tap into their high beam harness, so I’m curious as to how yours is wired? Did you use a wire relay harness for the hid kit, or are you plugged directly into the oem wiring?

Did you wire your mini morimoto retrofit to function with your high beams? Your setup drops the shield in the projector when you run your highs? If so, you tapped into your high beam harness somewhere/somehow. Most people don’t tap into their high beam harness, so I’m curious as to how yours is wired? Did you use a wire relay harness for the hid kit, or are you plugged directly into the oem wiring?
I had it done in NY. The way it works is when my DRL are on and I flash my high beams, the DRL with go from DRL to high.

When I have my low beams on(hid) and use my high beams, the low beam opens to high (bi-xenon) and my DRL also activate.

As it turns out,

I took out my original 9005 PIAA and looked at them. The working one and non working side looked identical. No sign of burnt bulb. I found my original stock 9005 bulb and put that in. When I did this, the passenger side didn't work either (just like the PIAA). When I would squeeze cable click portion the bulb, the light would light up. I put my PIAA back on and I had the same effect. Unplugged it and found the PIAA bulb 2 piece connector, one side was slightly brown (like it was overheated). The connector was the same. So...

So...
After doing some research, it seams like my installer used a high beam splitter.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wiring/pigtails-adapters/high-beam-splitters.html

I realized this when I when back to take a look at it and saw my original 9006 plug was not connected to anything. My HID and high beam both connect to the oem 9005 connector. From looking at the web site, it looks like this allows you use use the morimoto bi-xenon ALONG WITH oem high beam.

Honestly, I do not mind losing my oem high beams go on when I use my bi-xenon. Can I just remove this high beam splitter and connect my 9005 bulb to my oem 9006 connected and my HID to my 9006 oem connector? I don't want to burn a bulb or burn my car down if I don't use this splitter. I'm also wondering if my HID connector can connect to my 9006 connector. anyone know if I can do this?

All the splitter does is allow you to use the bi-xenon function of the projector. Removing it and plugging in the original stuff won't adversely affect anything.

That is why I was asking how it was wired. If you want to have the ability to have your low beam projector also function as a high beam, those splitters (or tapping the high beam wiring) is needed.

Quick final questions for you guys, I ordered 3 of those splitters as they were only 2.50. The PIAA bulb works but on of the metal connectors is brown. When I get the splitter should I use the splitter with the same PIAA? or don't risk it and use the OEM 9005bulb? The driver side PIAA has no sign of burn and they have both been put in the same time 2015 was the year.

Back