Rusted sunroof glass frame

Gixxerfool

Where the weak are killed and eaten
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Coupe EX
9642AA33-F48F-44F6-B8E6-1ED0620248DA.jpeg AD19A785-E970-4B85-805B-A3A77BF8A671.jpeg C1672C79-1F27-48AD-860D-B37E8353BF96.jpeg hey everyone,

I haven’t been on in a while because well life and all. I really haven’t had issues with my car until recently. I noticed the front of the sunroof glass frame is starting to rot. Needless to say I’m not happy. There seems to be quite a few of these on the Internet. I’m out of factory warranty, but the car is certified. I’m taking it to the dealer today to have it inspected and a claim submitted. If Honda doesn’t take care of it, I’m likely going to get rid of the car for another make all together. I love the car, but the customer service remains to be seen.

Was wondering if anyone else has ran into this. I’m attaching some pics as well.

The standard rust warranty is 5yrs/unlimited miles. I’m wondering if you have a rubber gasket that’s torn, or if there was a spot of metal there that didn’t get properly painted initially.

The standard rust warranty is 5yrs/unlimited miles. I’m wondering if you have a rubber gasket that’s torn, or if there was a spot of metal there that didn’t get properly painted initially.

From what I’ve read, there’s a design flaw in the gasket in which moisture can build behind the seal and not escape causing this.

I contacted Honda NA to see if it would be covered, they said no. I’m going to do my best to get it covered.

From what I’ve read, there’s a design flaw in the gasket in which moisture can build behind the seal and not escape causing this.

I contacted Honda NA to see if it would be covered, they said no. I’m going to do my best to get it covered.
Are you past 5yrs ownership?

Well, that went exactly as I figured. Manager looked at it. Said it was strange. He ran it through the system to tell me it’s not covered. Honda does not consider a glass roof panel part of the corrosion warranty, which I’m still covered by. He said he would submit it to Honda and see if they would do an OOW goodwill. I forewarned him if they declined to help I would push it further up the chain. I also made sure to let him know I was grateful for his help.

keep us posted with how it goes. I seem to recall @Br3TT having multiple parts of his 8th gen civic repainted numerous times,.... just can't recall if it was clearcoat issues, or what it was. Maybe he can chime in and provide info on how hard he had to work to get them to do his car.

my paint was covered under the recall they had, once it was repainted it was "guaranteed for life" and since the clear faded again multiple times my car has been repainted 5 or 6 times now

my paint was covered under the recall they had, once it was repainted it was "guaranteed for life" and since the clear faded again multiple times my car has been repainted 5 or 6 times now

Wow. I wasn’t aware there was a recall.

To be clear; this isn’t the roof side, this is the glass side. That’s the delineation between covered and not covered. I still don’t think this should rot like this in 5 years. Not to mention, just because you call it glass, doesn’t mean it’s not part of the roof.

Awesome man! Seems crazy they’re making you pay $50 instead of covering it all, but whatever. Glad to hear you’ll get it resolved.

hi, im new here. noticed this thread so i signed up. just bought a used 2015 si sedan two weeks ago. noticed the sunroof seal in the front was all pushed up. moved the seal and found rust like that. asked the dealer i purchased it from to see if its covered, im out of basic warranty by a few months. have 38000kms ( canadian ) so they said nope, asked if they could good will and they said no as well. offered to sand it and paint it or take $400 off the purchase price, i took the 400. sent an email to honda canada complaining about it. hope my story ends as well as yours.

hi, im new here. noticed this thread so i signed up. just bought a used 2015 si sedan two weeks ago. noticed the sunroof seal in the front was all pushed up. moved the seal and found rust like that. asked the dealer i purchased it from to see if its covered, im out of basic warranty by a few months. have 38000kms ( canadian ) so they said nope, asked if they could good will and they said no as well. offered to sand it and paint it or take $400 off the purchase price, i took the 400. sent an email to honda canada complaining about it. hope my story ends as well as yours.

I’m sorry to hear they wouldn’t help you considering there’s no way the rust would form in the time you owned the vehicle. I probably would have told them to take the car back. In the States they would have had more pressure for sure. The panel alone runs $500 American. My dealer went above and beyond for sure.

Remember you always get more flys with honey. Stick to the facts of the situation, you just purchased it, it’s an older issue and your warranty was barely out. If you’re a first time Honda buyer I would use the customer retention angle as well. You could always argue that even though the majority of the panel is glass, its bonded to metal that will allow water to intrude if not address and should be covered under the corrosion warranty.

Good luck and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Back