Paint Warranty Extension: Cracking or Clouding TSB 14-034 +My Experience

DMS24

Nevada, USA
Vehicle Model
(Lexus) ES 300h
Hi all, It's been a while since I last posted here. Last post I think was when I will still in college...

Anyway over the last few months I noticed an anomaly with my hood/fender paint. Thought it was from road debris from highway trips to college and home. Turns out there's a TSB for cracking/fading paint.

Here's a pic, had to shoot top down.
2018-08-18 15.16.06.jpg

It looks the same as from the TSB

Capture.PNG
With this info I went to the dealer and presented the issue. I now have an appointment for the 4th to get the hood and both fenders repainted. Per the TSB they have to sand down to primer. Good news is it is covered under warranty as soon as they do paperwork and will be done by "Honda Certified" body shop nearby.

They are telling me it could take 3-4 weeks to complete and no loaner car is offered.

I searched around here for anyone having same issue but came up empty. Anyone deal with this?

EDIT: Here's the TSB
A14-034.pdf

Attachments

• A14-034.pdf
    601.2 KB · Views: 31
No way a body shop will have that in their place 3-4 weeks. Maybe 2-3 days. Did all of your spots all come out at once that bad, or it slowly progressed worse and worse?

As far as I can tell the "cracks" just appear. They were not this bad last month. I don't remember seeing them last year, so I estimate that it started early this year. Car has not seen garage much since owned in Vegas heat, so I think at a certain point the primer heats up and fails. The odd thing is that I've kept it waxed, never gone through brushed car washes, etc.

Yeah, I've always heard people call the defect crows feet. I'm sure you can find countless cars online that have it. I just know people say you have to strip it down to bare metal before they prime/paint it again. It's not something YOU did to make it do that.

Just wanted to provide an update. Dropped off today. Was told they have to take photos and get Honda authorization.

Update 2: Called today and they said the car was sent to a third party Honda Collision approved body shop (of which I have done business with before and liked). They are going above and beyond the TSB. Getting a respray on Hood, both fenders, roof, both quarter panels, and trunk. :ohnoes: But not the spoiler since I'm assuming it was dealer installed and not from factory. Bit nervous on this, hopefully will not have hard edges on panels. Better than cracks though? :sadface:

Definitely keeping a copy of TSB for records (If I ever decide to sell).

Side note I asked about cure time and he said since it is Honda approved, it is the same (heat cure?) process as factory Honda.

You shouldn't have issues with the spoiler. I'm sure the paint shop will pull it to do the spray.

Wow, thank you for posting this; my Civic has some fading on the roof so maybe I will be able to get Honda to repaint it for free.

Good to hear it's getting taken care of.

I just noticed this on mine a few weeks ago. Mine wasn't as bad so I didn't think about going back to the dealership. I just may have to now since it really is a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Update 3: Body shop called while I was out doing errands (family Sonata battery died overnight...Hyundai quality for you).
Car is basically finished now, and wanted me to come in to pay for a PDR I asked for while it was in. Car looks really good, seems to match the factory orange peel.
Only issue is they put the "CIVIC" badge on crooked, so they will be fixing that before returning to dealership hopefully.
Other thing to note is they replaced both roof moldings, I guess they are one time use.
Bill came to $4000. Glad Honda is covering that... (It is being paid directly by dealer)

Inked2018-09-13 15.46.47-1_LI.jpg

I'm assuming now I will pickup tomorrow.

Side note: Anyone know if there are measurements for exactly where the "CIVIC" badge needs to go. Ironically my profile pic I took after getting the car new is the only photo I have at this point for original placement.

FA05703D-0415-49B3-BFE3-53E71249727B.jpeg
It’s just a little below the crease of the license plate. Truthfully, unless you really want it there, I’d tell them to leave it off. It’s easier to clean, wax, etc with the badges removed, and it just looks nice in my opinion. Your car looks good though.

Update 4 (Homecoming): So I got my civic back today. Looks good. I was looking over the car with a flashlight and everyone was starting. Yes, it's a 6 year old car, but I'm very particular about my car. ;)
2018-09-14 14.31.34.jpg Inked2018-09-14 14.31.20_LI.jpg Inked2018-09-14 14.31.46_LI.jpg

Found three issues. First is "holograms" left by a rotary polisher from body shop on hood. (easy to fix, hard to photograph).
2018-09-14 14.31.28.jpg

Second and third are the edge of the front left fender and the edge that is inside the fuel door. Both areas appear to have clear coat issues like this: (Yes INSIDE the fuel door)
2018-09-14 15.23.36-1.jpg

Looking at rear of fender and front edge of front door (easier to show with door open)
2018-09-14 14.37.39.jpg

So I finished up with the dealer who indicated to return to body shop. Showed body shop and have appt Wednesday to have hood cleaned up and to look at the edges.

The saga continues...

I’ve had the holograms and some clearcoat issues in the past at one shop. They fixed all of the issues on the 2nd visit. Sucks, but get it fixed right.

I’ve had the holograms and some clearcoat issues in the past at one shop. They fixed all of the issues on the 2nd visit. Sucks, but get it fixed right.
That's my expectation. To me the hard part is over. I'm happy with how it is now. I would correct the hood myself, but I've got some free body shop labor at my disposal at the moment. :)

Got a bottle of Meguiar's Show Car Glaze to use as soon as all of the work is done so at least it will have something to cover the paint before I can wax/seal.
2018-09-14 15.45.51.jpg

Forgot to post on Monday when I dropped off again. Was given a rental by the body shop. I've not heard from them yet, so I'm assuming they had to respray some parts.

BTW the Nissan Versa is the worst car I've ever driven...
2018-09-24 09.56.27-1.jpg

(I hope all of these posts help some of you to what you may be looking forward to with this process. I would have the car back now, if not for my demand of perfection :P )

I took my car into the dealer yesterday, they said there are 5 panels (roof, hood, trunk, L quarter panel, & L fender) that need attention (I really only noticed the roof) and that I needed to talk to the collision center in their dealer group; so, now I have an appointment for that and still don't know if they're going to cover all areas under this TSB.

I took my car into the dealer yesterday, they said there are 5 panels (roof, hood, trunk, L quarter panel, & L fender) that need attention (I really only noticed the roof) and that I needed to talk to the collision center in their dealer group; so, now I have an appointment for that and still don't know if they're going to cover all areas under this TSB.
I'm wondering if they are being told to just do all of the horizontal areas if a customer comes in to prevent come backs. I only cared about the hood and fenders on mine. Thought everything else was good. Obviously wasn't going to decline a 75ish% respray with Honda approved paint and methods.

Yeah, I definitely won't decline a new paint job if I can get it. However, my concern is if they decline something based on history of the car; my Civic has had a couple of minor rear end collisions before I bought it, the previous owner provided me pictures prior to purchase and they were enough that some repainting in the rear of the car may have been required, not bad overall. But, even the little bit of panel separation (basically, the clips for the bumper broke) that was there may be enough for Honda to deny claim. At least, that is me trying to be prepared for worst case. Either way, I bought the car before I knew of the TSB so I'll be fine, just would be nice to have a fresh paint job as well, help the car last a little longer.

...my Civic has had a couple of minor rear end collisions before I bought it, the previous owner provided me pictures prior to purchase and they were enough that some repainting in the rear of the car may have been required...
I know they will not cover any non-factory paint, but anywhere else should be fine. They can't void all of your paint warranty.

Back