Paint Warranty Extension: Cracking or Clouding TSB 14-034 +My Experience

Update Final(?): Got car back from body shop. Looks nearly perfect. bit more orange peel in the areas touched up but I'm satisfied. At least this time it doesn't look like an apprentice polished it.:rockwoot:

So I think my little adventure ends here, but if anyone wants to know more about how things went I'm happy to help.:driving:

Glad to hear you got it resolved. Come spring you could always use a good cutting polish to take out some of the orange peel if it bothers you.

Good to hear you're satisfied with how things turned out, DMS24. I took my car to the dealer's body shop for assessment for more pictures. They found a few more panels that had been painted over (ones on the right side, which I hadn't noticed) so they're going to wait on Honda to make a decision on what to paint. I still want to thank you for posting about this, had I not seen it, I would have never known I could get at least the roof (fading) repainted (as that was the spot I noticed when I bought the car) for free .

I still want to thank you for posting about this, had I not seen it, I would have never known I could get at least the roof (fading) repainted (as that was the spot I noticed when I bought the car) for free .
You're welcome! I enjoy spreading information when I can. I've seen a few 9th gen civics in the wild with paint issues, so this info may become more well known.

Side note: I don't have any issues with this thread becoming a hub for this TSB for any others out there with questions. Not sure how this is usually handled on the forum. (my car was repainted for free under warranty AMA...lol)

63453006-7760-4969-810F-52DF0BEAA64C.jpeg FE852941-8297-41C5-B4A1-46D430117429.jpeg 178744A0-734E-4025-B0DC-1C9CBB25E361.jpeg Sorry to bump this so late!...but today i called Honda North America to inquire about this service bulletin. I have a black 2013 civic si with the paint issue pretty bad on the roof and various other horizontally facing areas of the car. Once they ran my vin I was given a case number from corporate and was told thanx to the extension i have till June of this year to get this taken care of.

Question 1) Should i go to the dealer and give them the case # and have them refer to Honda?

Question 2) Once the areas of the car are inspected and are approved by honda for paint will i be able to take it to another dealer that i prefer to have re paint the car?

View attachment 60118 View attachment 60119 View attachment 60120 Sorry to bump this so late!...but today i called Honda North America to inquire about this service bulletin. I have a black 2013 civic si with the paint issue pretty bad on the roof and various other horizontally facing areas of the car. Once they ran my vin I was given a case number from corporate and was told thanx to the extension i have till June of this year to get this taken care of.

Question 1) Should i go to the dealer and give them the case # and have them refer to Honda?

Question 2) Once the areas of the car are inspected and are approved by honda for paint will i be able to take it to another dealer that i prefer to have re paint the car?
Take it to any Honda dealer you want. When you give them the reference number they’ll be able to confirm everything. They’ll either do the work there, or they’ll send you to a specific body shop they approve of doing the work.

Take it to any Honda dealer you want. When you give them the reference number they’ll be able to confirm everything. They’ll either do the work there, or they’ll send you to a specific body shop they approve of doing the work.

Thank you! I wonder is it the same paint that will be used or a better version? Will i be in the same boat in another 5yrs with clear coat fading

Thank you! I wonder is it the same paint that will be used or a better version? Will i be in the same boat in another 5yrs with clear coat fading
PPG, BASF, DuPont, etc all make some automotive paints collision/aftermarket repair shops tend to use. Oem paints usually go into curing ovens that can hit like 600 degrees. It’ll be different in that regard. You shouldn’t have issues down the road.

View attachment 60118 View attachment 60119 View attachment 60120 Sorry to bump this so late!...but today i called Honda North America to inquire about this service bulletin. I have a black 2013 civic si with the paint issue pretty bad on the roof and various other horizontally facing areas of the car. Once they ran my vin I was given a case number from corporate and was told thanx to the extension i have till June of this year to get this taken care of.

Bumping this thread is perfectly fine, that's partly why I posted it. Take a copy of the of the TSB and go to the dealer. The dealer will go through American Honda themselves for confirmation. If Honda confirms eligibility, the dealer will handle the body shop, etc.

It will be done by a "Honda Approved" body shop which should be listed through Honda's own website for collision repair. So it should be identical quality, except hopefully no defects. My body shop gave me a "lifetime warranty" on their work, so if it does come back I'm good.

I forgot to post earlier, but I actually had more paint issues after my original adventure. Turns out they didn't go deep enough. Repainted hood and roof again at no cost to me.

I think, I will make a claim too, my ca has always been in a garage, but if it was outside much at all. I would have a lot of issues with Honda's paint job. I am going to check on this also. My hood was repainted, I think the whole car should be repainted. I have the receipt for the paint job.:hyper:

Bumping this thread is perfectly fine, that's partly why I posted it. Take a copy of the of the TSB and go to the dealer. The dealer will go through American Honda themselves for confirmation. If Honda confirms eligibility, the dealer will handle the body shop, etc.

It will be done by a "Honda Approved" body shop which should be listed through Honda's own website for collision repair. So it should be identical quality, except hopefully no defects. My body shop gave me a "lifetime warranty" on their work, so if it does come back I'm good.

I forgot to post earlier, but I actually had more paint issues after my original adventure. Turns out they didn't go deep enough. Repainted hood and roof again at no cost to me.

Thank You. I originally went to the dealer and told them about the service bulletin but the service consultant showed me his cpu screen and kept insisting that it was already expired even after i tried explaining to him its 7yrs after in-service date. So after HE recommended i call HONDA i just decided to go to my car and call them. Im glad i did and i actually got a real human being to talk to after only 6min. I have an appointment this friday to get the car looked at so we’ll see. I wonder if itll be a waste of time when its their trusted body shops job to inspect it.

ya, I bring my honda in to for a free paint job, the hood had to be repainted. I wait till the last month. 7yr isn't enough-even after the time period-Honda might still pay for paint. What actually happened to the paint?

I've heard that the paint that gets used here in CA is of a lesser quality than in other places because of some environmental standard. So the paint ends up softer and is more susceptible to the defects that our cars have. So to honest, the issue will more than likely crop up again if you had the car repainted here in SoCal.

I've heard that the paint that gets used here in CA is of a lesser quality than in other places because of some environmental standard. So the paint ends up softer and is more susceptible to the defects that our cars have. So to honest, the issue will more than likely crop up again if you had the car repainted here in SoCal.

Ahh yeah ive read that before. That’s interesting though is that how they paint the car from the factory?? Knowing that the car is destined to go to california to be sold/driven??? Or is that NOW the standard.

Probably talking about water based paints? Most auto makers switched a decade+ ago to reduce voc at the factory. It’s less toxic, but it doesn’t take the abuse older paints could take from road debris.

Probably talking about water based paints? Most auto makers switched a decade+ ago to reduce voc at the factory. It’s less toxic, but it doesn’t take the abuse older paints could take from road debris.

Yep. Or the sun in our case here. You ALWAYS see Honda's with the cloudy panels. It's almost expected.

so epa CA paint makes your car rust because the paint falls off. Good to know, now I will have the whole car repainted to fix it but with non epa CA paint. Lets see the improvements that put on cars now. Paint that doesn't work, gas spouts that don't pour gas, hill assist that stops cars from moving, tnps-so aftermarket wheels are pricy, no key, stupid backup camera's, a buzzer on everything, shifter rev limiter, lane assist-all junk, six air bags.:face-puke:

Update: today i was sent from the dealer to their Body Shop down the street and the guy took some pics (super nice guy). told me definitely the roof, quarter panel, trunk, and hood need to be re painted. Also he will be sending the pictures back to the dealer and the dealer will then send them to Honda Co.

He mentioned it will take awhile because “theyre busy handling alot of issues with their white painted cars” YIKES.

I will call next friday to see if theres any word from Honda Co.

I wonder should i call corporate to try and get a loaner vehicle? The guy at the body shop said ot will take 4-5 days for paint

Back