LCA Press

did you see the reviews? Probably be worth it just having someone press them for the money

Might work, but probably not worth the trouble
ByEric Kuckon March 21, 2018
Verified Purchase
This tool is great in concept, but not so great when you actually go to use it.
Let me say first, that if you live in a state where they put salt on the roads in Winter, you will not be able to turn this tool with a ratchet. You will need a minimum 2-foot breaker bar. That being said, if you're going to go through the trouble of taking the control arm off of the car, you are much better off bringing the control arm to a shop and having them press the bushing for you.
The car that I bought this tool for needed both bushings replaced. The passenger side bushing took about 30 minutes of extremely hard wrenching with a 4-foot breaker bar to get the old one out. This is) after a 30-minute soak with penetrating oil, and application of heat with a MAPP gas torch. Insertion of new bushing was easy, only took about 5-10 minutes after cleaning up the control arm.
The passenger side bushing is still not done, even after fighting with it for about 4 hours. Even after soaking and heating, the bushing only moved about 1/8th inch before binding up. This leads me to this tools biggest design flaw. The large Bolt that is supposed to be cranked to generate the pressing Force has a head that is only about a quarter inch tall. With the amount of torque that is needed to press a well rusted bushing out of a control arm, I managed to round the head of the bolt because the socket kept slipping off of it. Now I don't even have a functional tool, all because the manufacturer didn't think it was necessary to put an extra quarter inch of material on the bolt. The nut on the other side is a good inch and a half long. Why they didn't do the same to the head of the bolt is beyond me.
To sum this all up, don't buy this tool unless you're a masochist. If you have the know-how to remove a control arm, take the money you save by not buying this, and pay a shop to press the bushing for you. And if you are someone who does this work all the time, do not think that this tool is any replacement for a proper hydraulic press

Ouch!! did not see that review. I seen the online review with a snap on tech using it he made it look simple but again I am sure he gets paid by them.

I plain on taking the control arm out but I will be using hand tools.. so I may look into a hobby shop on post to see if they have a hydraulic press with the cups to push it out. 150 bucks is a lot of money to waste.

talk to an auto shop that isn't like a dealership. Tell them you are looking for someone to press the bushings and see if they'd do it. I've paid shops to do similar things in the past

Actually considering buying this tool. Not for my Civic but the family Odyssey. Compliance bushings failing just like our Pilot's did. (was not aware of tool at the time I swapped control arms on it).

Not sure exactly when I'll decide to buy, but will update if I do so.

I have their "X-tractor" tool used on 1st gen CR-V trailing arm bushings. Their tools are well built.

Actually considering buying this tool. Not for my Civic but the family Odyssey. Compliance bushings failing just like our Pilot's did. (was not aware of tool at the time I swapped control arms on it).

Not sure exactly when I'll decide to buy, but will update if I do so.

I have their "X-tractor" tool used on 1st gen CR-V trailing arm bushings. Their tools are well built.
What year is your Odyssey?

What year is your Odyssey?
We have a 2004. I called the company and got transferred to the tech line. I was told it should still work on the 04 Ody but may not work on vehicle. I don't have a press and I'm going to pull LCAs anyway.

EDIT: by on vehicle It meant without LCA removal.

We have a 2004. I called the company and got transferred to the tech line. I was told it should still work on the 04 Ody but may not work on vehicle. I don't have a press and I'm going to pull LCAs anyway.
I thought about just buying the kit but I am a bit afraid that it will not fit properly since they make 2 compliance presses.

I have a 2016 Odyssey and I noticed a squeak noise coming from the front suspension but can't find the location of the problem. Have you had any issues with your front suspension?

EDIT: by on vehicle It meant without LCA removal.

Oops made my message in your reply lol.

I have a 2016 Odyssey and I noticed a squeak noise coming from the front suspension but can't find the location of the problem. Have you had any issues with your front suspension?

Oops made my message in your reply lol.

Our Ody and Pilot have a near identical front suspension. Noises we've dealt with were from LCA bushings and sway bar bushings. Also engine mounts. Vegas heat here hates rubber.

Our Ody and Pilot have a near identical front suspension. Noises we've dealt with were from LCA bushings and sway bar bushings. Also engine mounts. Vegas heat here hates rubber.

Hmm, I need to look under mine to check to see if mine have dried out or well started to harden. The noise is not to bad just more annoying than anything especially since it is only 2 years old. The heat here is not to bad for the most part but the humidity is good offal.

Just wanted to report in:
Got the tool and it fit perfectly on the old Ody. Dropped the old bushing out and the new one in within 5 minutes or so each arm on the bench. It's a good buy.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to bite the bullet and order it too.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to bite the bullet and order it too.
Forgot to mention, after the first few turns of the ratchet the bushing broke loose. I ran it the rest of the way down with a impact wrench. (not that you can't go all the way with hand tools, but will take a looong time.)
Note that we get practically no rust here, so maybe I had it easy.

Back