Amazon, Mobil 1 & Valvoline Oil Compared

If you are running Amsoil, send it in. @Bruce Bartlow and I did not have a good experience.
I've been out of the loop here for months. About Amsoil. Agree with @squiggy in so far as their tranny MTF. Their engine oil is fine, but overpriced compared to newer alternatives like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. But still, send a sample to Blackstone to be sure.

Best.

I would change the oil at 4,000 miles and use that cheapo Walmart syn st oil for $16 sold everywhere-seems as good as $25 Mobil 1- fight for your money these oil over priced crooks are just selling you a label. LOL @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@. I run mobil one filters $10 at wally world-the napa platinum might be a little better but is $12- I am a cheapo-notice civic owner!
Mobil 1 is a Group III oil, nothing more than a hydrocrack. NOT a true synthetic. And yet, like most oils will be fine if run for 3,000 miles/3 months, etc. Just depends on how hard you drive and how much you value that engine.

I will then.

I just ordered the kit. I’m gonna run the amsoil for another two weeks cause that shits expensive and I don’t have many miles on the oil.
You talkin' oil or MTF? The oil will be fine. Major TBN. All Amsoil products go major miles. But they really screwed up with the MTF because Honda made a tranny that didn't fit the norm. If you're talking regular motor oil, I believe Amsoil will be stellar. Not as good as it used to be (when they used Group V esters) and now more overpriced than ever given the competition. Still, the oil is fine and your engine will be too... unless you drive like me.

-- Amazon obviously doesn't make their own oil. So they're buying it from somebody else. Because they're new in the retail oil market I'd bet anything this is decent quality but re-branded oil from a pretty reputable company... like Castrol. Not sure. But this was a competition about bargain brands... don't forget that. Valvoline is hardly hight end, or Mobile1.
So Amazon contracted for a good base oil without the full additive package (which would normally be included) because the additive package is where the money is. That's why it's cheap. So the oil will perform okay for 'a while', as almost all oils do anyway. Take that to mean 3,000/3 mths, just like any other oil. In fact, that's why it's priced about the same.

In the end, I would LOVE to see a wear test after 3 months...

-- To me the most important test is the 4-ball wear test, otherwise known as ASTM 4172. He couldn't do that one. But he attempted to replicate it (poor job actually) and my hat's off to him for being objective. He was at least fair.

Then again, those are the worst "wear scars" (the bearing damage) I have EVER seen compared to actual ASTM 4172 test results I've seen in the past. Truly, those suckers were nasty. Anyway, the wear test is important because as "spirited" drivers you and I put our engines through a mini torture test on a regular basis.

-- Fortunately, a few oil companies perform the ASTM 4172 (such as Amsoil/Redline) and compare those independent lab results with the public. I wish more oil companies did that.

That's all I got for now guys. Enjoy your weekend.

-- Amazon obviously doesn't make their own oil. So they're buying it from somebody else. Because they're new in the retail oil market I'd bet anything this is decent quality but re-branded oil from a pretty reputable company... like Castrol. Not sure. But this was a competition about bargain brands... don't forget that. Valvoline is hardly hight end, or Mobile1.
So Amazon contracted for a good base oil without the full additive package (which would normally be included) because the additive package is where the money is. That's why it's cheap. So the oil will perform okay for 'a while', as almost all oils do anyway. Take that to mean 3,000/3 mths, just like any other oil. In fact, that's why it's priced about the same.

In the end, I would LOVE to see a wear test after 3 months...

-- To me the most important test is the 4-ball wear test, otherwise known as ASTM 4172. He couldn't do that one. But he attempted to replicate it (poor job actually) and my hat's off to him for being objective. He was at least fair.

Then again, those are the worst "wear scars" (the bearing damage) I have EVER seen compared to actual ASTM 4172 test results I've seen in the past. Truly, those suckers were nasty. Anyway, the wear test is important because as "spirited" drivers you and I put our engines through a mini torture test on a regular basis.

-- Fortunately, a few oil companies perform the ASTM 4172 (such as Amsoil/Redline) and compare those independent lab results with the public. I wish more oil companies did that.

That's all I got for now guys. Enjoy your weekend.
Check this post if you didn’t see it. They’re claiming it’s warner oil.
Digging around bobistheoilguy, it appears it could be identical formulation to Walmart super tech synthetic which is supposedly made by Warner in some regions of the US. Amazon oil info is showing it’s made by Warner as well. One thread-

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4833243/1

btw, if you're shopping for oil at WalMart they carry the relatively new Pennzoil Platinum for about $25.00/5qt container. For $5.00/qt the stuff can't be beat.... unless you can get the Ultra version for just a little more. I found some on Amazon for $20.00 recently.

https://www.screencast.com/t/W9cRGZ44

btw, if you're shopping for oil at WalMart they carry the relatively new Pennzoil Platinum for about $25.00/5qt container. For $5.00/qt the stuff can't be beat.... unless you can get the Ultra version for just a little more. I found some on Amazon for $20.00 recently.

https://www.screencast.com/t/W9cRGZ44
wrong, 0-20 w is better as long as any where near stock, these Honda's made to run on very light syn oil. hotter climates 05-20 with syn media oil filter-napa platinum the best. Fram has quality control problems-don't buy them.

:bananasplit:I do my own oil analysis and its free, looks dirty and has too many miles I change it:tap:may not be dirty enough for the test to tell you anything

Just because you look healthy doesn't mean you shouldn't see a doctor. But you would be surprised at what you can find with testing your oil.

Back