Official Computer Talk Thread

CPU fan took a crap on me last night. So I have to figure out what damage happened if any and take care of it. Just forgot how small everything was in that case.

CPU fan took a crap on me last night. So I have to figure out what damage happened if any and take care of it. Just forgot how small everything was in that case.

I forget.. did you have the stock heatsink or aftermarket cooler?

Hindsight says I should have gone with the Noctua low profile cooler. At least you can purchase an aftermarket fan for it.

The Cryorig fan snaps over the cooling fins versus screwing in. So, if it were to go out, you need to purchase a new cooler rather than just replacing the fan. I put two super quiet Noctua fans in the case and they've been wonderful. I'll have to see how things go with the current fan. It seems fine right now but when there's a glitch, usually there's something underlying that glitch.

My IT guy at work is probably not thrilled about this. We still have a number of machines running on XP.

A lot of companies do. A lot of places have legacy software or hardware that only support old versions of windows.

Spent the $40 and put in the Noctua cooler. It's a lot more low profile. Computer is back up and running and nearly silent still. What a pain in the *** the case is, but it's so nice and small.

That's pretty. Noctua FTW

I don't care if their products are poop brown color lol

That's pretty. Noctua FTW

I don't care if their products are poop brown color lol

Lol. I got the two 120 mm fans because they were rated to be super quiet. The cooler came in, the surface finish on it was amazing, the packaging was superb, and it wasn’t too pricey. Think they have me for some future products.

are you using nvme for a hard drive? I didn't even pay attention to that

are you using nvme for a hard drive? I didn't even pay attention to that

I have two of them in there totaling 1 TB. They’re in a striped configuration so it screams when accessing or writing files. Fun when I do CFD simulations. Slow to calculate but fast when I wanna access the file.

Back