DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

Having same problem as other user where the video feed can be seen in the service menu when the car is in reverse but the imid doesn't automatically switch over when the car goes into reverse. Again, the feed is only seen thru the special menu when the car is in reverse. I'm assuming it's a problem with my #14 pin. I purchased a circuit checker, and when I tested the wire going to pin 14,it shows active connection. I will try to shove that pin in deeper to the #14 slot tomorrow morning. Seems like the pins are giving problems.

The backup camera I purchased has IR lights, and I bypassed the whole LED light installation. So for the pins, I purchased "jumper cables"like these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C...umper+pins&dpPl=1&dpID=41wFSNF7-VL&ref=plSrch

I used needle nose pliers to attach the video feed and the shield to the pins. I purchased a 18 gauge auto wire, used a wire tap from the red cable leaving the camera and attached it prior to the wire tap for the positive terminal that leads to the reverse connector. So I have a total of 3 wires running from the reverse connector to the imid, video, shield and 18 gauge red auto wire.

Through all this, I'm thinking the #14 pin just isn't pushed in all the way. Long story short.

After much trial and tribulations, got it to work. It was the pins alright. And the RCA cable that came with the camera has super thin wires underneath it. So I had to reinforce them with additional copper wiring. Much thanks to this forum! Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 14961603277961471353115.jpg
    14961603277961471353115.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
A bought this universal kit (camera and wire).
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232266611574
I hope it mounts better than the plate light location that required mods to improve the view.

The better kits (I saw only a few) include a harness which appears to only eliminate the need for the three pins but ~$160.
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-H...ash=item33a696ddaa:g:27AAAOSwys5WULKm&vxp=mtr

I received the kit today. The bad news is that instead of two nuts to adjust the camera mounting offset, the camera has only one nut. Not sure if I need two nuts as maybe a snug fit will work. Hopefully I can mount it so it will have a clear view. We will see.

The good news is that the long video cable (yellow RCA plugs) also incorporates a red wire so that will carry power when reversing. So this 3 wire cable will run from rear to the front dash carrying video signal (center of plug), ground/shielding (outer), and power when in reverse without having to add another wire. This makes my happy as adding wire to a multi-wire cable looks like a bad hack.

I ordered this for the three female pins I will need.
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171979508848
This kit has more female connector pins than needed (need 3) but I want to install the center dome bulb.
I will install in a few days.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171979508848

I finished the install. The kit is great as all wires were long enough. The camera must be mounted with the post pointing up which is exactly the way I wanted to mount it (like stock). I drilled a small hole through the plastic for the post. The double stick tape also secures it in addition to the nut. I also drilled a slightly larger hole through the metal for a grommet and the camera cable. All the wires were long enough. Since the video cable has the extra wire, that is the only cable that needs to be run to the front.
I used three 3M Quick Connects; two go to the reverse light (reverse light power and ground), and the third ties the reverse light power to the red video cable wire since that also needs to go to the screen as the trigger. This is the only cable that runs to the front. At the end near the screen, I soldered the three pin wires to the video cable after cutting off the plug.
I used this link to turn off the factory guide lines http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/reverse-camera-guidelines.9263/
I can provide more info if requested.

Last edited:
Can someone please help me. I'm having problem wiring the new camera to make it work. The stock camera from factory has 4 wires and connected using 6 pin connector. I'm having problem finding a wiring diagram for my new camera that came from 2014 CRV.

Factory Connector 6 Pin
image.jpg

New Camera from CRV
image.jpg

Having same problem as other user where the video feed can be seen in the service menu when the car is in reverse but the imid doesn't automatically switch over when the car goes into reverse. Again, the feed is only seen thru the special menu when the car is in reverse.

Make sure there is a wire connecting Camera V GND to Camera ADPT.

Can someone please help me. I'm having problem wiring the new camera to make it work. The stock camera from factory has 4 wires and connected using 6 pin connector. I'm having problem finding a wiring diagram for my new camera that came from 2014 CRV.

Factory Connector 6 Pin
View attachment 56121

New Camera from CRV
View attachment 56122
I don't know if anyone would have wiring diagrams on the crv forums? If not, you may have to get a wiring diagram from Honda. They charge $10/day to pull stuff online.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

Nice write up! Wondering if anybody has used pin 20 instead of tapping the rearview lights for power?

Dash Removal Instructions
OrbisTheory - 2012 Honda Civic SI - How To Remove The Dashboard
dash_sections_sm.png

The entire dashboard comes apart in three separate pieces (highlighted in image). The lower section (red) is held on entirely with clips. The middle section (green) is also held on entirely with clips, but there are two connectors (or possible more with other models) that must be disconnected. The third, upper section (blue) requires the removal of three screws and then can be unclipped.

dash_lower_section_sm.png

I would recommend starting along the edges marked with arrows. Particularly, the left hand side seems the easiest to pull the clips out. The pull takes some getting used to - but it literally requires pulling on the section of dash until it breaks out of the clips. In all likelihood, some will break during this process. I wouldn't worry too much about it - there are so many (which can be moved around, too) that the panel should stay fairly tight...even if you lost a few clips in the process.

When pulling the dash off, I would HIGHLY recommend that you don't use absolute brute force. Try grabbing parts of the panel and wiggling it, bending it some, or otherwise "working" the clips out.
The clips for this piece are entirely around the edges. The most difficult ones, I found, are the upper corners on either side of the steering column. You may need to reach up under the panel and try pushing/wiggling back there.

some_lower_clip_locations_sm.png

You can see in the image above some of the clip positions for the lower section.

dash_middle_section_sm.png

The middle section is also entirely clips, except for two wire connectors on each side. I'd recommend starting on the left side and working your way across the top and the bottom. The clips on the right (near the nav in the image) can be tough. Remember; try not to just pull with brute force. Try to "work" the clips out. Note that both wire connectors are in with clips, but are fairly easy to remove. Push the tab and pull.

Above shows SOME of the clip positions (enough to get started).
The upper section is the most difficult to remove. The right side has many clips in a relatively small location, and it is difficult to get a grip in this area. First, unscrew the three screws marked below. You do not need to remove any of the screws holding the tachometer. Only the three marked below.

upper_screws_sm.png

I would HIGHLY recommend putting tape on the bottom corner of the driver's side tweeter. The fit to get the upper piece out is very tight (and consequently, getting it back in). Pay attention when removing it to see the easiest way to swing the piece out. You're going to want to put it back in the same way.

some_upper_clip_locations_sm.png

Per usual, not every clip has been marked above. Note that there are clips directly at the bottom of the IMID and speedometer. The right side is difficult to remove as there are many clips close to each other and no good grip spot. Also, and this is important, there are clips along the top edge near the windshield. You may need to work between the bottom and the clips in this area. The clips aren't necessarily angled up, so the direction of pull is closer to pulling straight out, away from the dash components.

Front Installation

After the dash has been removed, continue to run the wires upwards and through the dash (wire in red)

IMG_0303.sized.jpg

Continue to run the wires it behind the steering wheel but make sure that the wires don’t hinder the steering wheel from making adjustments in the future. Pull it through and upwards as the picture show (red lines)

IMG_0301.sized.jpg

Over all view the wires should have ran through the dash something like this. Don’t forget to zip tie and secure the wires.

IMG_02192.sized.jpg

Now that you have your wires set. Remove the iMid from the dash by unscrewing 5 screws as shown (red circle) and unclipping 3 connectors (blue circle)

5_G.jpg

After your iMid is removed, look at the 32Ppin connector and you will see a black piece on the connector. Take a tiny screwdriver and wedge it in the grove to pop it out. It does not come off so don’t try to pull it out. Take three pins you made before and insert them into the 32pin connector pin slow 14 18 19, making sure to keep the pin orientated correctly, as shown in the next picture.

hVEM6yu.jpeg

IMG_0224.sized.jpg

IMG_0291.sized.jpg

The pin’s openings are going to be seen where it is marked below. Once you see the pins on all three, you can push back the pin lock to secure them. You can align them with a paperclip if needed.

IMG_0225.sized.jpg

Reconnect the 32P Connector and put into reverse to test. If it doesn’t come on, double check one of the starting with the pin seated correctly and not being pushed back when connected, then the cable connection from the camera then the spliced/tapped wire connection. If that of this is perfect then you may have popped a fuse but it is highly unlikely if you use tappers.
Double check all wires that they are not exposed and are secured. Reverse instruction and reinstall the iMid, dash panel, trunk liner, etc.

IMG_0331.sized.jpg

Yellow Grid line Adjustment
This should work on all 9th Gen Civics with the i-MID display...

Press the MENU button on the steering wheel to access the vehicle menu:

Then press and hold SELECT and MENU at the same time for approx 20 seconds. You should then get the Service Diag Menu

Adjust Reversing Camera gridlines.

Keep asking questions as I will add them to the FAQ for future references. I hope this was a decent DIY, if so I will do more in the future.

AFTER SPENDING NEARLY 100 HOURS TO WORK AND PERFECT EVERYTHING IN THIS DIY, PLEASE THANK ADEXTERNAL AND MANY OTHERS FOR MAKING THIS A TEAM EFFORT!!!

Why won't this work with navigation equipped cars? I don't understand what the big difference between navigation and non navigation, they look the same to me and with navigation you can hit the menu button then hold menu and source for 20 seconds and a menu with the backup camera comes up and you can see yellow lines with a black background.

I don't know if anyone would have wiring diagrams on the crv forums? If not, you may have to get a wiring diagram from Honda. They charge $10/day to pull stuff online.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

Why won't this work with navigation equipped cars? I don't understand what the big difference between navigation and non navigation, they look the same to me and with navigation you can hit the menu button then hold menu and source for 20 seconds and a menu with the backup camera comes up and you can see yellow lines with a black background.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/a...rse-backup-camera-diy.6538/page-2#post-131909
it was worked on about 5yrs ago. Link in that thread

Hi, I am a newbie, trying to install this kit from ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2016-...-KIT-INC-HARNESS-3-YEAR-WARRANTY/291716373686. They have everything on the imid side connected with t-harness which gave me the video and the reverse signal cables. The cable seem to be meant for the fuse box as they are just long enough to reach that far. Is there a place in the fuse box where I can insert the reverse cable signal and the power source for the camera?

Fuse 23 is an open slot and works when the car is turned on.

I didn't even click on the link for the product you bought. I just knew people use fuse 23 as a power source fuse for endless projects. I'm not sure why you're asking about fuses. Did you see the instructions in the ebay description?

===============
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS ARE BELOW

Step 1. Locate clear camera location to mount making sure to stay clear of light assemblies, wiring harnesses and trunk re$ lease handles/mechanisms.

(For universal camera)

Step 2. Drill hole utilizing provided holesaw. Be sure to pre-inspect area prior to drilling for proper clearance and safe mounting.

Step 3. Feed camera wires thru hole and follow path of original harnessing making your way to the factory screen location.

Power and ground for camera

Step 4. Power and ground for camera can be located and utilized from the rear tail light assembly. At the reverse light, locate the BROWN wire and connect red camera 12 volt wire.

Locate a clean, paint free metal chassis spot and connect camera ground wire.

Step 5. Tap on an extra wire from the brown reverse wire at the taillight, long enough to run along with the camera video wire. This will be needed to connect to the screen as well as the video rca for picture.

Step 6. Run cables (both extra power wire and video rca) from camera to the rear of the screen in the dash. Be sure to avoid any pinch points or potential areas that can damage the camera wires. Connect the extra power wire from the taillight to the power wire coming off of the provided screen harness (this will tell the monitor when to show camera everytime the vehicle is in reverse).

Step 7. Connect the video rca to the provided harness rca input. This will provide the video signal to the screen provided that power, ground and video for the camera have been connected properly.

Test your camera system. Make sure u have sufficient battery power before testing. Camera should activate and display on original screen while in reverse.

Hi did anyone install in a 2014 and get it working? im having a issue where when i put in reverse it does nothing but it diagnostic mode i can see the video. i played with pin 14 for hours so im sure its not that
thanks

Hi did anyone install in a 2014 and get it working? im having a issue where when i put in reverse it does nothing but it diagnostic mode i can see the video. i played with pin 14 for hours so im sure its not that
thanks
2014 has a stock backup cam. The 2012's didn't

I've read through this entire thread as well as several others on multiple sites and still have not seen a definitive answer on making this work on the imid screen of a 12 with navigation. I found one place where someone said it worked, but offered no details about the whether the process was exactly the same or if there were changes to the wiring.

Back