Is buying 16x7 aftermarket wheels worth it?

thatoneatbguy

2012 EX coupe, we have really crappy roads here in Louisiana but I want to get aftermarket wheels to reduce unsprung weight but keep the stock sidewall height. Would buying 16x7 RPF1s be worth it to shed about 10 pounds per wheel over the stock wheels be worth it? Also planning on getting coilovers and sway bar, I'm really just curious if anyone else has bought stock size wheels aftermarkets to shave weight and what their experiences are.

Last edited:
RPF1 -they bend easy, I would just get some cheap light weight alloy wheels like koing and see if they bend. Steel wheels are really heavy as you know.

RPF1 -they bend easy, I would just get some cheap light weight alloy wheels like koing and see if they bend. Steel wheels are really heavy as you know.
Thanks for the response. I was thinking about something cheap like the Enkei J10 too, but everyone seems to love the RPF1 plus they're about 4 pounds lighter than the J10 and most Konigs. But if I gotta worry about bending one in a pothole (big possibility around here) I might just go for the cheaper option.

I been running Daylight Koing's 17pds 17x7 for years and never bended one.$125 each. I bought eight of them, they are not sold anymore and had 12 spokes rims, very strong and light. I would bet enkei j10 are very good and strong.

I been running Daylight Koing's 17pds 17x7 for years and never bended one.$125 each. I bought eight of them, they are not sold anymore and had 12 spokes rims, very strong and light. I would bet enkei j10 are very good and strong.

Damn those wheels look slick. Wish they still made them but there's a bunch to choose from in that price range I guess, especially if I go with the 16s...

Rpf1 is better than many other aftermarket wheels.

Light...cheap....strong - pick two is basically the rule of thumb.

forged will be stronger, but they’ll also be expensive such as rays/volk

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/17-light-weight-wheels.7912/

An old thread you may find interesting with other wheels

I'm gonna look through there. I would love to go up to 17s but I'm really worried about losing a bit of sidewall, the roads here are truly terrible. 6 inch deep pot holes are common. I was rolling slow through a neighborhood the other night and wasn't paying good enough attention (looking for a street address not texting lol) and swore I was gonna get stuck in a pot hole. Luckily only going a couple miles an hour and didn't mess anything up.

And I don't wanna get anything too expensive, I was really looking at $500-800 for a set of wheels, just want to get something quality and something that will last. The RPF1s were definitely the top of my budget.

I personally had RPF1’s on my Focus ST, they were honestly my favorite and best wheels I have owned. I drove through a couple of potholes with no damage to the wheels. It’s honestly the best wheel you can buy for the money, specially compared to rep wheels. Plus the design looks amazing and simple.

9205F799-F311-4BE7-92BF-0AF5AAB4FE79.jpeg

I had rpf1's on my em1 clone and it was by far the best wheel ever. Mine were 15's with meaty fitment, so they took Colorado's ok roads like a champ, never had an issue.
2e9e42b76ee4c31de60fff0ae6cd7019.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had rpf1's on my em1 clone and it was by far the best wheel ever. Mine were 15's with meaty fitment, so they took Colorado's ok roads like a champ, never had an issue.
2e9e42b76ee4c31de60fff0ae6cd7019.jpg

Did you notice any difference in using the lightweight wheels over the stocks?

Also that thing is sick, one of my favorite civics.

did you notice how nice the road was in these pics, yes perfect roads favor a $250rim, 6inch deep potholes at 50mph-bent rims. I noticed a lot of failures from this rim of people who have poor roads and a 6inch pot hole is not the smallest one around where I am try a foot pothole that will smash any rim at speed-your suppose to see them and go around, good luck with that at night:turbospin::turbopokesmiley::rotfl:show cars are not driven in winter maine-they are parked in a garage till late spring.

did you notice how nice the road was in these pics, yes perfect roads favor a $250rim, 6inch deep potholes at 50mph-bent rims. I noticed a lot of failures from this rim of people who have poor roads and a 6inch pot hole is not the smallest one around where I am try a foot pothole that will smash any rim at speed-your suppose to see them and go around, good luck with that at night:turbospin::turbopokesmiley::rotfl:show cars are not driven in winter maine-they are parked in a garage till late spring.
I've got a 3 inch drop just to get in and out of my apartment parking lot, the parking lot is 3" higher than the road... no curb or anything, just slab next to slab lol, and that's not even close to the worst driveway I've seen in my city. So yeah I think I'll go with the cheaper wheels, and maybe order some good tires to go along with em with the money I save, looking at the Continental extreme contact.

I had the Bridgestone Potenza So4 on they had a good amount of meat hanging over to protect the rim. Bridgestone also has some other tires with the rim protection to help fight curb rash and pot hole damage.

I personally had RPF1’s on my Focus ST, they were honestly my favorite and best wheels I have owned. I drove through a couple of potholes with no damage to the wheels. It’s honestly the best wheel you can buy for the money, specially compared to rep wheels. Plus the design looks amazing and simple.

View attachment 60165

Freakin' Richie Rich over here!

tenor.gif

I'm gonna have to start posting on my laptop so my pics don't lose quality. That pic doesn't do them justice...

Back