Official Computer Talk Thread

If it’s going to be used between two machines, are you planning to unplug it and plug it into the other when needed? Does your router support a network drive by chance? You can plug the external drive into the router and then access it from either computer on the network.

That modem doesn’t support network drives despite having USB ports. You’d either need to do a nas, a router that supports hard drives over usb, an external drive that has a network port you’d plug directly into your modem....ummm

unplug a standard external drive .. or you could put an internal drive into your new pc and map it as a network drive your Mac could access. Both machines would just need to be turned on.
Ummm

Ok that makes some sense to me. I may be switching internet providers anyway so I'll have to get new stuff. My internet lately hasn't been too good. Lots of issues with slow speeds and having to reboot the system. I'll wait to do anything until I get that figured out. Thanks.

Weird your cable ISP (Frontier) has that fast uploads.

Mine

8999415255.png

Here, the FIOS has symmetric speeds. Same upload and download speeds. Xfinity has fast download but terrible upload speeds like you have. The lady does a lot of uploading to the internet with her interior design/staging work so it's pretty important to have good upload speeds to so it doesn't take her too long to upload all the photos and videos to the internet.

Does this count as computer talk?

Just spent 3 hours installing a wall plate for my speakers and HDMI. Still have some coax cable to install with a wall plate. Spent a good couple hours installing the shelves and wall plate and most of the work is hidden behind the reciever.

Eventually I want to patch all the holes and paint. Also want to re do the network stuff at the top of the closet.

61-RIq-Kg9n-TL-AC-SY355.jpg

20200201-184328.jpg

Last edited:
That counts in my book. Makes my little wall plate look like child's play. Good job. That's quite a system setup.

Here, the FIOS has symmetric speeds. Same upload and download speeds. Xfinity has fast download but terrible upload speeds like you have. The lady does a lot of uploading to the internet with her interior design/staging work so it's pretty important to have good upload speeds to so it doesn't take her too long to upload all the photos and videos to the internet.

Oh I didn't know Frontier was FiOS. I thought it was cable. My fault.

That counts in my book. Makes my little wall plate look like child's play. Good job. That's quite a system setup.
thanks. just wish my receiver was better and had network capability. receivers are expensive.

What would you mainly use it for? The thing that stands out to me is that it uses the processor for graphics processing. If you want to game with it (video edit/photoshop work etc) I’d push you towards something that has a dedicated graphics card. If you’re just browsing the net, checking email etc, dedicated graphics aren’t needed.

256 gig hard drive is rather low for storage, but maybe you don’t need a lot to do what you’d use it for.

8 gigs of ram would do, but 16 would definitely improve things if you multitask or plan to use it for anything remotely intensive like editing, gaming etc.

If you provide some feedback on what it’d mainly be used for, I’m sure others can also chime in on suggestions.

I would mostly be using it for web browsing and my son to complete school work so Microsoft office type stuff.

I would like to play games on it and get into video editing.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypo...lid-state-drive-black/6362980.p?skuId=6362980

Will something like this work better(gaming video editing)? As saying from a cheaper side of the spectrum.
Yes, that’s a better setup for doing games/editing since it has a 6 gig nvidia dedicated graphics card. That one also has a 256gig ssd drive for the operating system and another 1 terabyte mechanical drive for additional storage. So you gain storage over the Lenovo with this unit.

Back