DIY 2012 Civic Rear Speaker Replacement

Fuma419

How To Replace The Rear Speakers 2012 Civic

Ok just removed my rear speakers and it wasn't nearly as difficult as I've seen posted elsewhere. So here is a step by step on how to do the difficult parts.​
NOTE** This is a EXL coupe. Not sure how much if any will apply to other models but would like some feedback if it does. Also, once i removed the rear deck Sub i discovered that ONLY a reduced depth Sub will fit in its spot. The original was 4" deep so do not purchase anything deeper then that. I just ordered this one​
1. Remove screw behind stow-able hook.​
2759d1328908814_diy_rear_speaker_removal_replacement_exl_coupe_img_0212.sized.jpg
2. Insert flat blade screwdrivers behind plastic airbag badge, press firmly to release locking tabs and then pry the badge off​
2766d1328908827_diy_rear_speaker_removal_replacement_exl_coupe_img_0219.sized.jpg
2762d1328908820_diy_rear_speaker_removal_replacement_exl_coupe_img_0215.sized.jpg
3. insert flat blade to release locking taps, then pinch the metal bracket and pull to remove.​
2761d1328908819_diy_rear_speaker_removal_replacement_exl_coupe_img_0214.sized.jpg
4. Remove this access panel. It pops right off​
2763d1328908821_diy_rear_speaker_removal_replacement_exl_coupe_img_0216.sized.jpg
5. Grab ahold of this interior piece through the access panel and pull on it to unclip from rear deck panel.​
2764d1328908823_diy_rear_speaker_removal_replacement_exl_coupe_img_0217.sized.jpg
6. All the pieces you have messed with so far will come off as one assembly. I just started pulling on it from the front back. Once it is most of the way off there is one more clip you have to reach in and press the tabs on it to release.​
2760d1328908816_diy_rear_speaker_removal_replacement_exl_coupe_img_0213.sized.jpg
7. Now repeat these steps on the opposite side of the vehicle.​
8. The rear deck cover (including speaker covers) should just pop right off with relative ease.​
9. Speakers are just held in with a few bolts.​

What's the best way to remove the pins from the rear deck? There are 2 beige and 2 green pins going into the trunk, do I need a special tool to pop those pins or can I just pull it upward and they will pop out (assuming I do it gently and applying the right pressures)?

What's the best way to remove the pins from the rear deck? There are 2 beige and 2 green pins going into the trunk, do I need a special tool to pop those pins or can I just pull it upward and they will pop out (assuming I do it gently and applying the right pressures)?

If I recall, they pop out fairly easily with a bit of force. I didn't break any when I pulled mine out. If you are trying to be cautious, you could take some pliers and compress them from underneath and push them through.

If I recall, they pop out fairly easily with a bit of force. I didn't break any when I pulled mine out. If you are trying to be cautious, you could take some pliers and compress them from underneath and push them through.
Thanks man! They did just pop out, I was nervous because I just broke one of the parts of the piece in picture 6 right before I removed the deck (for some reason the black and white pieces wouldn't separate on the drivers side which I did first, and part of the black piece broke).

Just like to throw it out there that on a 2012 EX coupe there are really annoying spring bars that cross right through the space where any normal speakers magnet should be. The stock speakers' magnet is like an inch wide so it doesn't hit the bars... I ended up cutting the stock speaker housing piece up and mounting my speakers on top of it (kinda like a spacer), and I think it will work, but it was a HUGE pain in the *** compared to what I thought it was going to be.

I bought spacers, but they weren't a perfect fit.

lucky you guys. i can not replace rear speaker. hybrid model has backpack(battery) not really good for mod.

Any one with info/video on removing the rear deck panel to get to the rear speakers in a 2013 coupe lx? ....it is different then a 4 door as I've watched videos on 4 door and the removal isnt the same. I've got my back seat out just having a hard time with the deck lid covering the speakers. Thanks guys

Any one with info/video on removing the rear deck panel to get to the rear speakers in a 2013 coupe lx? ....it is different then a 4 door as I've watched videos on 4 door and the removal isnt the same. I've got my back seat out just having a hard time with the deck lid covering the speakers. Thanks guys
I haven’t watched it, but this is from a coupe

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TUKyNXeXKrw

Back