Flip Key Thread for 9th Gen

They did that to me with my old CR-Z. I got an extra key in the deal and they said they needed all of them to program. I knew that didn't sound right, there had to be an add key option

Last edited:
did the same for my flip key. but my flip key is different. if im not mistaken this is the Acura flip key correct?

this is the one I have

i think what you have is modeled after the Acura keyless ignition fobs, the other style is similar to the Acura switchblade key

Just ordered my flip key case.
Just one question, will the valet key transponder work just as well as the transponder on the remote keys? I thought there was a limitation to the valet key?

valet transponder has no limitations compared to the master key transponder

the valet key limitations are cut into the key itself, all the transponder does is tell the car to not kill the fuel pump

valet transponder has no limitations compared to the master key transponder

the valet key limitations are cut into the key itself, all the transponder does is tell the car to not kill the fuel pump
awesome, good to know, thanks.

How the hell do you get the valet key apart? Mine is glued shut. I've been going at the seams with a knife and screwdriver and still can't get it

How the hell do you get the valet key apart? Mine is glued shut. I've been going at the seams with a knife and screwdriver and still can't get it

Have you considered applying heat?

Have you considered applying heat?
No I didn't think of that, but I found my problem, there is a ring of metal right underneath the seam, you have to cut right on the sides of the seam, if that makes sense.

Also, there is no battery in the valet key, signifying that the transponder doesn't need power.

No I didn't think of that, but I found my problem, there is a ring of metal right underneath the seam, you have to cut right on the sides of the seam, if that makes sense.

Also, there is no battery in the valet key, signifying that the transponder doesn't need power.

RFID's don't need battery power. Just the unit that reads them. There is a battery in the keyfob to transmit at a distance for the locks and trunk.

I just mentioned it because there was talk before in this thread or in the other one of it was wired to the board for power or not

I just mentioned it because there was talk before in this thread or in the other one of it was wired to the board for power or not

I was just adding clarification for those who like to know how things work.

Reactions: 323
I realize this is an old thread, but I've recently revisited the flip key mod. I have a case that has a little pocket next to where the key pivot is, and after going through the thread it sounds like the transponder doesn't need any power. I have two regular remote keys (let's call them key #1 and key #2) and the valet key, so to avoid any soldering, would I be able to just get the flip case, take the transponder off of key #2 and use the remote of key #1 with the transponder from key #2 simply tucked into the flip case?

I already have some 30ga wire on order, but if I don't need to do anything more than use my soldering iron to remove the transponder, then I'd rather go that route. I don't mind being left with just one working remote key and a valet key.

I realize this is an old thread, but I've recently revisited the flip key mod. I have a case that has a little pocket next to where the key pivot is, and after going through the thread it sounds like the transponder doesn't need any power. I have two regular remote keys (let's call them key #1 and key #2) and the valet key, so to avoid any soldering, would I be able to just get the flip case, take the transponder off of key #2 and use the remote of key #1 with the transponder from key #2 simply tucked into the flip case?

I already have some 30ga wire on order, but if I don't need to do anything more than use my soldering iron to remove the transponder, then I'd rather go that route. I don't mind being left with just one working remote key and a valet key.
If you didn’t see- it’s very sensitive to placement, so as long as you keep it pretty far forward as mentioned here

I tried to put it in the same place as the real key: You can see it to the right of the key blade.

View attachment 18306

ethlar: Did you have your transponder stuffed into the top piece that I have removed here?

I did but I wedged it in as far forward and next to the rotating part as possible

Thanks. So I ended up tearing open my valet key and pulled out the transponder from there since I never use the valet key. It took a good 30-45 minutes for me to get it open even though I used a dremel with a cutting wheel attached. I was just being careful and didn't want to accidentally cut through the transponder. For me I think this was a better route since I was concerned with potentially ruining my 2nd key since I'm not that great with a soldering iron.

Once i had the transponder out, I simply dropped it in the top corner loose for now (but the case design keeps it from moving out of place). Tested it out and it works perfectly. I have some electrical rtv on the way that I'm going to put in there so that it doesn't rattle around.

Here you can see on the top right of the key where the transponder is placed and also how the inside of both sides looks.

P_20200405_013842_1_1.jpgP_20200405_013718_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back